Does anyone else like post punk and goth?

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 4:08 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I like some stuff in this field. Bauhaus are great.

Somewhat different direction, but does anyone like stuff like Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, Lydia Lunch, Mars or Swans?

I have the album No New York with most of those bands. Definitely enjoyed Mars and DNA.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 4:10 pm

HighLlama wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I like some stuff in this field. Bauhaus are great.

Somewhat different direction, but does anyone like stuff like Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, Lydia Lunch, Mars or Swans?

I have the album No New York with most of those bands. Definitely enjoyed Mars and DNA.

Awesome. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 4:14 pm

I haven't listened to this in years, but what a visceral piece of music. Like an audiophile nightmare.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:26 pm

A lot of great bands are listed above. Back then they really were "different". That time was as creative if not more so than the vaunted 60s but it was very underground especially in America. Thank goodness for college radio.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:13 pm

I DO

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 4:40 am

I was really info Finnish music in the late 80ies/early 90ies

/Mats

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 3:56 pm

HighLlama wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Yes, I love Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy etc.

You might like The Paisley Underground scene. REM started out in the mix, early Bangles is good, The Rain Parade, The Long Ryders, The Dream Syndicate, Green on Red.

I quite like shoegaze as well, but I might be diverging too much, like the Smiths, The Blue Nile, The Dream Academy, Prefab Sprout and The Cocteaux Twins.

You have great taste. I LOVE Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout. Those are some beautiful, clever songs, with emotional insight. The first two Dream Academy albums are fun...I'll always have a soft spot for "Life In a Northern Town."

Do you like solo Morrissey? I love the Smiths, but I think his own music is very creative, at least into the late 90s.

Steve McQueen is one of my all time favourite albums. Great after a break up on repeat. I just love Paddy McAloon's lyrics. I think my second favourite is Let's Change the World with music. I do wonder if McAloon is on the spectrum. He had a meeting with his label about it and misunderstood their directions and shelved it for 30 years! It's a gem.

I'm not that into solo Morrissey to be honest. I just haven't given him much time. It's the jangly guitar I like the best about the Smiths... Don't shoot me.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 5:12 pm

hurtloam wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Yes, I love Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy etc.

You might like The Paisley Underground scene. REM started out in the mix, early Bangles is good, The Rain Parade, The Long Ryders, The Dream Syndicate, Green on Red.

I quite like shoegaze as well, but I might be diverging too much, like the Smiths, The Blue Nile, The Dream Academy, Prefab Sprout and The Cocteaux Twins.

You have great taste. I LOVE Steve McQueen by Prefab Sprout. Those are some beautiful, clever songs, with emotional insight. The first two Dream Academy albums are fun...I'll always have a soft spot for "Life In a Northern Town."

Do you like solo Morrissey? I love the Smiths, but I think his own music is very creative, at least into the late 90s.

Steve McQueen is one of my all time favourite albums. Great after a break up on repeat. I just love Paddy McAloon's lyrics. I think my second favourite is Let's Change the World with music. I do wonder if McAloon is on the spectrum. He had a meeting with his label about it and misunderstood their directions and shelved it for 30 years! It's a gem.

I'm not that into solo Morrissey to be honest. I just haven't given him much time. It's the jangly guitar I like the best about the Smiths... Don't shoot me.

Yes, after my engagement fell apart, Steve McQueen helped keep me together. "Goodbye Lucille #1," "Desire As," and so many others. I don't know their other albums, but I did hear that story about Let's Change the World. He seems like such an interesting person. I think he used to keep all his songs written down on paper in a shoebox too.

:lol: I can understand that. I like Morrissey records for many reasons, but Johnny Marr was certainly his most talented collaborator. "William, It Was Really Nothing," "Half a Person," "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore," and so many others. What are your favorites?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 5:43 am

I think this is one of the most goth/post punk songs I can think of:

seems like a proper mix of both those styles and idk what defines it I just think this sounds extremely post punk and goth at the same time.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 3:18 am

@highlama

This is my favourite Smith's song. Possibly my favourite song of the 80s. It's like nothing else

How soon is now

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 3:25 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think this is one of the most goth/post punk songs I can think of:

seems like a proper mix of both those styles and idk what defines it I just think this sounds extremely post punk and goth at the same time.

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard that before. I totally get what you mean. It's that particular suspenseful sound of impending dread.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm

Before the Human League became synthpop superstars they started out as a post-punk band

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:28 am

The 80s stuff not so much but a few modern bands like Automatic, Lithics, Panther Modern.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 8:32 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Before the Human League became synthpop superstars they started out as a post-punk band

I still listen to John Foxx! this group reminds me of him sometimes

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 7:00 pm

domineekee wrote:
I still listen to John Foxx! this group reminds me of him sometimes

Nice to see some Gen Z people keeping the flame alive.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Dec 2021, 9:53 am

babybird wrote:
I'm really bad at identifying genres but I probably do like it.
Same here. I have an idea about what Goth is & I like some but not sure about Post Punk. From simply reading the phrase Post Punk, I was thinking of the music that is kinda a variation of the hard-core old-skewl punk that fans argue about it not being real punk. Music generas like Pop Punk, EMO, & Ska. Bands like Blink 182, New Found Glory, & Less Than Jake. I really like that kinda music as well as the hard-core old-skewl punk these days. I looked up Post Punk & I think I was way off. I think I do like some of it thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition