According to this theory, Australia is most like US

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 10:43 am

The Hofstede Cultural Dimensions

Not sure if this should make me happy or sad, nor do I know which country I would want to think was more like us. Mexico? I see a lot to admire in Mexico, not a great deal to admire in Australia. Then I've been to Mexico but not Australia, so I know what I'm talking about. Perhaps if I were to visit Australia I'd love it. Maybe the problem is that, from what I've seen of Australian culture (e.g. from watching Love on the Spectrum) it's so similar to here that simply nothing stands out. In fact, if I were to point out anything in particular, it might be that Australia seems "whiter" quite frankly. Although I'd have to say that, from having travelled in Eastern Ontario, that Canada gives me that same impression once you've gone beyond a major city like Toronto.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 11:32 am

Not sure what your point is, nor what it is that you seem to be upset about.

But that finding isnt particularly surprising.

If you asked me "what two countries are the most like the US?" I would guess either Canada, or Australia.
I certainly wouldnt guess Mexico.

Though Americans did get their most iconic character from Mexico...the vaquero (buckaroo), or cowboy.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 11:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Not sure what your point is, nor what it is that you seem to be upset about.

But that finding isnt particularly surprising.

If you asked me "what two countries are the most like the US?" I would guess either Canada, or Australia.
I certainly wouldnt guess Mexico.

Though Americans did get their most iconic character from Mexico...the vaquero (buckaroo), or cowboy.

Well I sort of segued from the theme of "most similar" to "most admired". Given a likely premise that if another country is similar to yours, then you admire it for sharing your "values".

No, Mexico is quite different in a number of ways. What I admire about Mexico is how they have embraced their pre-Columbian history despite having been colonized from Europe. Also that they seem more likely to accept the reality of their situation (which for many is far from enviable) or to believe their country's way of doing things is somehow sacred. They don't seem particularly susceptible to far-left or far-right ideology (some American right-wingers seem to admire AMLO but I wouldn't bet on him becoming a dictator). I think most Mexicans just live their lives as best they can no matter who runs the government, yet they don't hesitate to participate in democracy by protesting etc.

I don't claim to be an expert on Mexico though, so much of what I've just said is probably pathetically naïve.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 12:07 pm

I kinda see what you're saying.

Mexico does have the most distinct and unique culture of the four nations. And identifies with its pre colonial indigenious past much more than do the others. Definitely not a clone of Spain, nor of any other country.

The US is a distant second in evolving a unique culture independent of its mother country. And it owes that largely to non European minority groups.

Australia is only now coming into its own, and both it and Canada are still dominated by the UK and by the US culturally. Both both are thinly populated countries. California by itself has more people than either Canada or Australia.