Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Perhaps in old age she is slipping.

Perhaps it's just her PR game that's slipping. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:18 pm

Trueno wrote:
Middle english sounds more Scandinavian to me. I studied this stuff far too long ago.

Agreed, Chaucer's English does hark back to its northwest Germanic roots. If one was to take a time machine back to the jolly old days of England, one would have some serious obstacles conversing with an Englishman around the early 1400s.
Middle English of the 1200s - 1400s is to some extent like learning a new dialect of german but with plenty of cognate words to make it easier to pick up than trying to learn Dutch or German.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well both. Her majesty might be getting stubborn in her old age and wants to teach her "rogue" grandson a lesson like the famous shade she threw on her recalcitrant daughter-in-law who curiously was Harry's mother.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well both. Her majesty might be getting stubborn in her old age and wants to teach her "rogue" grandson a lesson like the famous shade she threw on her recalcitrant daughter-in-law who curiously was Harry's mother.

I can't say I have a problem with the queen reminding us she's a petty tyrant who's only relevant because of a misguided tradition. The more her or Charles rub it in everyone's face the more appealing republicanism becomes to the average person.

Funny that she doesn't seem too keen on teaching her child molesting son a lesson.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
but the Queen is clearly ghosting/throwing shade on her grandson.

Is she, though? Did she mention all her other children and grandchildren, making Harry the only one left off? Or did she leave them all off, mentioning only the immediate succession?

Harry and William were never a package deal, nor were Harry, Charles and William. At some point the younger siblings who will not take the crown naturally drop off the discourse. I watched it happen decades ago with Anne/Andrew/Edward, so why wouldn’t it happen with Harry? Or am I missing something with respect to their roles and mentions since I’m not part of the commonwealth?

As nice as it would be for her to go out of her way to acknowledge the leadership Harry is trying to take through his new roles (which I suspect she is naturally going to have mixed feelings about), it doesn’t strike me as something the Crown has ever made a big effort to do with any of the “spares.” Am I wrong?

Being a royal spare is simply a bizarre place to live a life.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 26 Dec 2021, 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Funny that she doesn't seem too keen on teaching her child molesting son a lesson.

Well look back in her family tree and you'll know (and so does Lizzy) where Andy inherited those traits (but that's a topic for another thread).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 7:49 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Harry and William were never a package deal, nor were Harry, Charles and William. At some point the younger siblings who will not take the crown naturally drop off the discourse. I watched it happen decades ago with Anne/Andrew/Edward, so why wouldn’t it happen with Harry?

As nice as it would be for her to go out of her way to acknowledge the leadership Harry is trying to take through his new roles, it doesn’t strike me as something the Crown has ever made a big effort to do with any of the “spares.” Am I missing something with respect to their roles since I’m not part of the commonwealth?

Being a royal spare is simply a bizarre place to live a life.

I think she has mentioned Harold before in her Christmas messages because he used to be one of her favourites, He was the stereotypical rascally fellow with good looks, brave military record (like his grandfather) and rollicking jaunty sense of humour and penchant for a drink with the lads and an eye for the ladies. He was very much like the man HRH fell in love with, her late husband,

Her surgical precision in not mentioning Harry in this year's christmas message might be excused because harry's decision to "leave his royal duties" but Harry and William were a package deal for a very long time ever since their mother died the Queen has been the proxy mother to both Harry and William.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 10:37 am

Mr. Trueno.

Would you still invite me in for lunch?

Why do I think you have Roman arches in your garden? :wink:

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2021, 11:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mr. Trueno.

Would you still invite me in for lunch?

Why do I think you have Roman arches in your garden? :wink:

The garden doesn't lend itself to arches. Probably a good thing as I'm not all that fond of the ancient Romans... all that "dying a good death" nonsense... they were a thoroughly unpleasant lot. And... I had to learn latin at school... I'll never forgive them for that.

I'll have to check what we have planned for lunches this week... funny time of year... we'll be surviving on Christmas leftovers until February.

And back over to your side of the Atlantic... my niece has recently started work in NYC... so say hello if you see her. You'll know when you meet her as she is very slim and has a terribly posh accent (unlike me).

Sorry to everyone else for diverting the conversation from our dear Queen with a veritable avalanche of non sequiturs (was that latin? Damn!)

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame