A picture of the town you grew up in?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 2:46 pm

This is where I grew up.

Police cars whizzing around chasing joy riders (cars were easily hijacked back then because of a lack of immobiziling technology for cars). Burnt out buildings, street fights with rampant racism, both Muslim on White racism & White on Muslim racism.

There was a mosque, no church - and white folk would occasionally try to set fire to it.

Almost every shop is Middle Eastern of some variety, that looks like it has been pulled straight out of a time warp from the 1970's. Almost zero funding from anywhere, nobody wanted to touch it and they still don't, to this day.

This is the modern day photo - in the early noughties it was even more nightmarish.

I lived in a house with moss on the ceiling, dead insects on the window frames, peeling paint & a shared bedroom with a sociopathic brother with blue lights flashing outside my windows every night almost.

Last edited by blitzkrieg on 26 Dec 2021, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 2:53 pm

Another snap from this stronghold town of unabashed 'white privilege.'

:lol:

Last edited by blitzkrieg on 26 Dec 2021, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 3:00 pm

Though on a technicality this is a video rather than a picture... and it is a town a grew up near rather than in.

What is a little scary is how little this section has changed. It's not slowly being encircled by slum housing developments.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 3:04 pm

maycontainthunder wrote:
Though on a technicality this is a video rather than a picture... and it is a town a grew up near rather than in.

What is a little scary is how little this section has changed. It's not slowly being encircled by slum housing developments.

Yeah, there is a huge difference in funding between different areas in the UK. The north gets pissed on, basically. It is almost as bad as the north/south divide in Italy, in terms of wealth distribution.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 3:22 pm

The area where my teenage Autistic friend lived:

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 4:40 pm

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 4:19 am

the hours spent to get the ball out of the water

gas gas everywhere and the big tubes, we played in them, imagine that now
what happened to the pipelines they made then to sell the gas to russia?? who stole those???? :jester:

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 10:30 am

This is from after I moved out. Technically it's a suburb (to Stockholm), not a town.
Had I been born a couple of years earlier, I'd have faced loads of drug problems, much due to a new law that in effect made many addicts move there and to other suburbs.
Some years after this vid, they rebranded and renamed many suburb centers since the old names had such bad reputations.

/Mats

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 10:34 am

When I grew up there were no pizza, no kebab, and definitely no sushi or Thai food.
Heck, I even remember when the first McDonalds opened.

/Mats

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 10:49 am

Here's a picture. Generic. But Cyber Security. You get The Idea.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 11:05 am

So long as we're going to post negative s**t here's my home town in 2015:

For the sake of full disclosure I wasn't still living there at the time but my son and daughter-in-law were and continued to until last year. There were far worse riots in 1968 but I posted this picture in case by posting a picture of the 1968 riots I could be seen as trying to imply this hasn't happened since.

OTOH there haven't been any riots since 2015. We are thankfully free from Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, etc. When people chose to protest in 2020 they were left alone to protest in peace, unlike places in the Upper Midwest and PNW where peaceful protests were transformed into riots by the aforementioned militia types. Those people are smart enough to stay away from Baltimore (despite the irony to be seen in using the word "smart" in that sentence).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 11:33 am

I grew up on that cabin cruiser boat more than anywhere else. My dad built it. ^

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:03 pm

^ How idylic. You were lucky to grow up in a place like that. It's a far cry from the concrete jungle that is England.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:07 pm

theprisoner wrote:
^ How idylic. You were lucky to grow up in a place like that. It's a far cry from the concrete jungle that is England.

There are some nice places in England, such as the Yorkshire Dales. But in general, you are correct. England is way too densely populated and is mostly urbanised.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:32 pm

The first three pictures are the meadow directly behind my first house. My back garden, essentially. That's where my granddad had his mechanic workshop that I would climb around in, unaccompanied, around age 3? A stream with minnows. Tobogganing hills. Even snowmobiling out our back door.

My mecca.

I'd kill for photos of my granddad's workshop which I can't picture at all, or pictures from inside our house. My dad built our house but we don't have pictures from inside except for people standing in front of a wall or whatever. It drives me crazy that no one took decent pictures back then! I wrote to my cousin who lived next door because she's older and likely to have her parents' photos. She said she'd get back to me but she didn't.

One day I might scream with excitement and post a bit more.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I grew up on that cabin cruiser boat more than anywhere else. My dad built it. ^

These remind me of when we went sailing as a kid. Lots of beautiful weekends on the water.