Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 2:18 pm

Why is it that Neurotypicals always use the argument of the lowest common denominator in order to shut up any opposition to whatever ideas they may hold?

Example:

"You should be glad you live in this country. It's far worse somewhere else..."

It's like you're not allowed to criticise the current living conditions, because it could be worse?!?!?

Whether it's worse or even far worse somewhere else is not a valid argument.

It's like NTs like to use the lowest common denominator to measure everything.
Instead we should strive to achieve the HIGHEST results.

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 28 Dec 2021, 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 2:20 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Why is it that Neurotypicals always use the argument of the least common denominator in order to shut up any opposition to whatever ideas they may hold?

Example:

It's like you're not allowed to criticise the current living conditions, because it could be worse?!?!?

Whether it's worse or even far worse somewhere else IS NOT A VALID ARGUMENT - YOU IDIOT!

It's like NTs like to use the least common denominator to measure everything.
Instead we should strive to achieve the HIGHEST results. This is where NTs fail.

Interesting argument.

Typing in capital letters though and mentioning the word 'idiot' isn't the best way to convince people they are wrong.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 2:30 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Interesting argument.

Typing in capital letters though and mentioning the word 'idiot' isn't the best way to convince people they are wrong.

Thanks. I've corrected my original post.

Btw. I hate typos. I originally wrote "least". I meant lowest. It's corrected as well now.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 4:39 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Interesting argument.

Thanks. I've corrected my original post.

Btw. I hate typos. I originally wrote "least". I meant lowest. It's corrected as well now.

I hate typos too (my own typos). I don't mind if other people do them though. I had a friend who had severe dyslexia (I'm probably a little dyslexic, but not 'fully' dyslexic).

I have read paragraphs of text that looked completely jumbled for about 7 years? So it doesn't bother me. :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 4:42 pm

Why is it that Neurotypicals always use the argument of the lowest common denominator in order to shut up any opposition to whatever ideas they may hold?

Example:

I don't think using dishonest methods while arguing is limited exclusively to NTs but in this specific context it's a way for someone who takes a criticism of their nation as a personal criticism to deflect from the criticism that makes them uncomfortable to hear.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DmitriNicholaev
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2021, 4:48 pm

Aspies aren't as hyper rational as you think. Being here on WP some of the dumbest most illogical people I've ever argued with in my life are Aspies on this forum. Even Aspies who think they're smart aren't any smarter than your average high schooler when challenged on their beliefs.

It's not because Aspies are dumb or that NTs are dumb

It's that humans are wired to be illogical and irrational. The research is out there in the scholarly papers of Psychologists such as Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky, as well as Nassim Taleb's seminal masterpiece "The Black Swan" which substantiates how humans, including and especially even Aspie experts, are prone to the type of generalizations and heuristics and irrational thinking that plagues lay men

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 6:42 pm

Why can’t one appreciate the good things your country has that other countries do not have and still understand there is a lot of room for improvement?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 7:01 pm

The US, for example, happens to be a great country with a lot of problems.

Much needs to be changed....but radical change would probably ruin the country.

DmitriNicholaev
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2021, 7:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The US, for example, happens to be a great country with a lot of problems.

Much needs to be changed....but radical change would probably ruin the country.

I think radical change is the only solution

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 7:37 pm

Example:

Maybe cause they feel challenges and the urge to win a argument supercedes their ability to reason ?

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 7:51 pm

I'm not sure about the validity of relative arguments. True, simply pointing to something worse than x doesn't make x any better as such, but it can put it into a useful context. For example, if somebody tells me I'm not working hard enough, then I feel it's valid (to a degree) for me to point to others in the same situation who are doing less work than I am, if they're not being challenged about it in proportion to how little they're doing.

Maybe the USA living conditions example is different because the people concerned live there and (at least conceptually) might have some chance of getting the situation improved. My answer to such a response might be that I agreed it was even worse in some places, and that I wasn't happy about that either, as a matter of fact, and then to lead them back to the true point that USA living conditions aren't very good for a lot of people.

It's a trick marketers use sometimes. They'll mention a product that's lousy value for money, then they'll show you one that's bad, but not as bad as the lousy one. Apparently some customers then think they've just been offered something good, and they buy it. A variant of it is to mention that they were selling a product for £100 yesterday but today you can have it for £50. Of course yesterday's price is irrelevent, and they only mention it to cloud your judgement.

It became a popular ironic comment in my workplace if something was being criticised as unjust or corrupt, to repeat Tony Blair's attempt to misdirect his critics about his conduct in the invasion of Iraq - "yes, but at least we got rid of Saddam Hussein."