Should the government make vaccination compulsory?

Page 1 of 12 [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 2:06 am

Basically the want to remain in lockdowns forever it seems but at the same time, people have the right to not get vaccinated, but as result, nothing seems to get better and nothing changes. The government either needs to accept the fact that they cannot beat covid and lift restrictions and just accep it, or they need to make vaccination compulsory and force everyone who refuses to get it to get it, but they cannot do this have your cake and it it too, forever middle limbo they keep trying to do.

Why can't they just pick a route and go with it?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 2:53 am

I support mandatory vaxing.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 4:38 am

It would be impractical to make vaccinations compulsory because it would violate people's rights and make the anti-vaxxers bellow, "But mah FREEDUMBS!! !"

But in an ideal world, everybody would be vaccinated. Too bad we live in an idiocracy.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 7:45 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I support mandatory vaxing.

Saving that for the next time we argue about bodily autonomy.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 9:33 am

But forcing people to get vaccinated otherwise they will be able to work certain jobs, etc, is already unconstitutional, so the government already doesn't care about the constitution therefore?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 9:35 am

ironpony wrote:
Should The Government Make Vaccination Compulsory?
Yes, and with absolutely NO exemptions for phony "religious" reasons.

:roll: Gorram covidiots...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 3:32 pm

I've no big objection to that in principle, apart from the fact that the vaccines carry some small risks, so it would be sacrificing a few people at random. And I wouldn't support compulsory jabs of AZ or J&J because they're slightly more dangerous and less effective than the others. I'd hate myself if I forced somebody to have a jab against their will and it killed them. Utilitarian morality would say I'd done the right thing, but my feelings wouldn't.

OTOH, when I applied for a green card I had to get a lot of jabs or end up being turned down and deported, and Biden has already ordered most workplaces to insist on their staff being jabbed, so it's not really such a big thing to extend the measure to everybody else. Nobody's absolutely forcing jabs on anybody so far, but obviously the coercion is massive when they put your livelihood at stake.

So I can't come out with an absolute yes or no, and I'm glad I don't have the power or the responsibility to make the call. A referendum might make it a bit more democratic and take the blame off the government, but the lunatic fringe of the anti-vax movement might start trying to use force to scupper any referendum that didn't look like it would go their way. Some of them have already shown they think it's OK to wreck vaccination clinics and bully people into not getting jabbed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 10:53 pm

You forgot a step: First the NWO needs to declare themselves the government of the world Before they mandate that everyone get their vaccinations.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2021, 11:05 pm

No.

Although if they do make it compulsory, I'd like to see how they'd manage it.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:14 pm

I see what you mean. Well why doesn't the government just give up then and lift all restrictions? I mean haven't they fought enough to the point where they feel it's time to throw in the towel? What's with all the stubborness, and not willing to accept loosing, after loosing?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:23 pm

ironpony wrote:
I see what you mean. Well why doesn't the government just give up then and lift all restrictions? I mean haven't they fought enough to the point where they feel it's time to throw in the towel? What's with all the stubborness, and not willing to accept loosing, after loosing?

Mitigation measures aren't about controlling people and making your life miserable. Governments would LIKE to lift restrictions and let people get back to paying more taxes.

They're to keep our medical systems from getting completely overwhelmed with sick & dying people.

If you were a Medical Doctor or Nurse on the front lines treating covid patients AND trying your best to treat All Other types of patients, would you appreciate it if your boss (the government) told society (your prospective patients) "F it, who cares? Go forth and spread the virus and load up the hospitals. Put healthcare workers at increased risk of getting covid. Overflow the hospitals with covid patients and make it impossible to treat cancer patients or perform surgeries etc because all medical resources are needed to treat covid patients."

Somehow I don't think you've thought this whole "Freedoooomz!! ! let 'er rip," mentality through very far.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:34 pm

Try being an ER doctor, nurse, or any other sort of healthcare worker on the front lines.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Mitigation measures aren't about controlling people and making your life miserable. Governments would LIKE to lift restrictions and let people get back to paying more taxes.

They're to keep our medical systems from getting completely overwhelmed with sick & dying people.

If you were a Medical Doctor or Nurse on the front lines treating covid patients AND trying your best to treat All Other types of patients, would you appreciate it if your boss (the government) told society (your prospective patients) "F it, who cares? Go forth and spread the virus and load up the hospitals. Put healthcare workers at increased risk of getting covid. Overflow the hospitals with covid patients and make it impossible to treat cancer patients or perform surgeries etc because all medical resources are needed to treat covid patients."

Somehow I don't think you've thought this whole "Freedoooomz!! ! let 'er rip," mentality through very far.

I see what you mean. But the government is going to have to lift restrictions eventually, and those hospitals are just going to fill up later anyway. Does it make a difference if it's now or later?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:42 pm

ironpony wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I see what you mean. But the government is going to have to lift restrictions eventually, and those hospitals are just going to fill up later anyway. Does it make a difference if it's now or later?

Yes.

Time allows for even more people to be vaccinated. I read one headline saying that 80% of hospitalizations for omicron are unvaccinated. Sure, if 100% of people were vaccinated then 100% of hospitalizations & covid deaths would be amongst the vaccinated - but it'd still be a far lower % of people getting severely ill or dying from covid. Also, unvaccinated people are 10x as likely to get re-infected with covid.

And, over time, as covid continues to mutate.. there's a chance it gets weaker and weaker and nearly fizzles itself out. The longer we have restrictions and the more people that get vaccinated along the way, the fewer people die.

Advocating for all restrictions being lifted is basically just cheerleading for a big spike in covid hospitalizations and deaths. If we had no restrictions at all, and the vaccine hesitant remain unvaccinated, we'll see a massive surge in covid hospitalizations - which will overwhelm medical resources - and in turn a whole lot more deaths that could have been avoided.

Do we have to do this stuff forever? No. But are we far enough along in vaccination rates and the virus' mutations to stop cold turkey now? Also no.

Until the numbers say we've done all we can and we're good to just let it run it's course now and do it's thing with minimal casualties, we'll continue to see governments imposing restrictions in order to save tax paying lives.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm

Oh okay, but do people need more time to get vaccinated if it's about time? What's taking so long? Also, is covid really going to fizzle out or that just something people tell others to feel better.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:05 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but do people need more time to get vaccinated if it's about time? What's taking so long? Also, is covid really going to fizzle out or that just something people tell others to feel better.

People have had enough time to get vaccinated and there's probably enough supply in Canada and the USA to have completed the job.. but people aren't all getting vaccinated because they've been convinced by conspiracy theories and "you can't make me, freedoms1!!" BS sold to them by right wing media and tinfoil hat types.

No matter which way you slice it, people haven't all gotten vaccinated and if restrictions are lifted a whole bunch of people will die - including people waiting for surgeries or cancer or heart treatments etc because covidiots will be clogging up the hospitals.

But besides the hesitant, not everyone who's been vaxxed has had their 3rd shot yet - it takes time to administer everything. I'd guess that Most people haven't had their 3rd shots yet as booster shots are a pretty new thing for Canadians. Most people I know haven't gotten text messages to book their 3rd shots yet.

So, yeah, for a variety of vaccination timeline reasons health officials need more time.

As for whether it'll fizzle out or not, who knows for sure - but that's the hope/theory. Omicron might even be the beginning of the end if it's now an oesophagus virus that doesn't make a high rate of people seriously ill or die. Only time will tell what actually ends up happening.