Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 10:22 pm

This article concerns recent targeted attacks on gingers.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/police-figures-reveal-shocking-rise-22639141

When I was in my early twenties I was visibly ginger & I got chased a few times down the street whilst being called a "ginger bastard."

I also got picked on in random places. I nearly got physically assaulted on a coach by two immigrants. They kept throwing empty plastic bottles at my head and then followed me through a bus/coach station and they were on the cusp of starting a physical assault on me, before my parents were randomly waiting for me (I didn't even expect them and my phone battery had died).

God-like luck right there.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 10:05 am

Why are they so despised?

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 10:12 am

Misslizard wrote:

Because people use South Park as their moral compass.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 6:56 pm

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 7:38 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Because people use South Park as their moral compass.

Yes, American influence in the mainstream media of the United Kingdom has had a big influence on the moral compass of many millenials, as well as Gen-Z's - even those who pose as other people for the sake of social popularity whilst hiding their true opinions.

I am transparent in my views but I used to be naive & thought other people acted the same way. Oh, boy, was I naive.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 8:20 pm

It maybe America's fault that British youth have gone to hell in a hand basket.

In fact ...I am sure the TV show South Park single-handedly brought down the British Empire all by itself! :roll:

But you cant pin this "ginger" thing on the US. :lol:

South Park got that from the UK.

"Ginger" is a thoroughly British expression. No American ever called anyone a "ginger" until the 21st century.

American rock fans, like me, in the Seventies had to have it explained to use why the Eric Clapton's drummer "Ginger Baker" was called that because ginger was not yet an epithet, nor a thing at all here.

The N word is American. And even when American Whites hate on each other (other American Whites) they have plenty of ethnic slurs to choose from like Wop, Dago, k*e, Heb, Pollock, Mick, etc because we are land of immigrants. Picking on them because they have red hair just doesnt fit into the American scene the way it would in the UK.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 8:26 pm

Quote:
She researched the stigma for a theatre show she produced in the late 00s and found some deeper reasons for it. “In the UK we have current social practices that stem from Protestant, Catholic and even pagan thinking. We might not know where these beliefs and ideas come from or the stories, people and myths that created the beliefs and ideas but we carry them on through our social conditioning”.

These historical beliefs include: Eve becoming a redhead after eating from the tree of knowledge thus the hair colour being associated with gullibility and disobedience; Judas being portrayed with red hair so creating an association with betrayal; and the persecution of people believed to be witches in the 16th century, many of whom had red hair.

The Irish Factor

There is a common but incorrect stereotype across the UK that red hair originates from Ireland. In the 1850s poverty led to thousands of Irish people migrating across the Irish Sea. Being low class migrants of a different religion- Catholicism- which the British Protestant establishment had fought wars against, they were viewed by many as a disloyal social burden.

Could historical anti-Irishness also play an unconscious role in the abuse faced by redheads?

Source: https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/what- ... e-uk-41405

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 9:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
"Ginger" is a thoroughly British expression. No American ever called anyone a "ginger" until the 21st century. .

Yes the cultural context is important. In Australia and New Zealand redheads are called "rangas" which is probably more a term of endearment. We had a significant influx of Scots and irish into both countries so readheads make up a significant proportion of our population.

Also growing up, redheaded girls were considered very attractive, Hollywood actresses with redhair like Angela Everheart or Gillian Anderson were considered very desirable.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm

I was called a 'red-headed stepchild' many times as a young adult (my developmental age was a lot younger than my chronological age so it burned quite badly, emotionally.).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 11:21 pm

It just goes to show that if everyone had the same skin color, there would still be bigotry. Over hair color, or eye color, or freckles, or whatever. There's even been discrimination against left handed people.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 11:25 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
It just goes to show that if everyone had the same skin color, there would still be bigotry. Over hair color, or eye color, or freckles, or whatever. There's even been discrimination against left handed people.

Yep. Discrimination is like a ladder as an analogy. People reach up to the next rung when they have ran out of space to be bigoted. When they reach the top of this proverbial ladder, they slide back down to the bottom again and start climbing again. And it nevers ends.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 11:26 pm

Probably in reality though, the ladder rungs are constantly shifting & swapping places.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:25 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I was called a 'red-headed stepchild' many times as a young adult (my developmental age was a lot younger than my chronological age so it burned quite badly, emotionally.).

When I was in school in the 1970s blonde kids were called "snowies" and everyone thought if you had blonde hair and male you were dumb and should play sport (all our best sportsmen in school were snowies)

Blonde girls were objectified as "bimbos". So in reality snowies had it as bad as rangas if not worse.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:49 am

that's sad, I think red hair is nice especially when its curly.
I have dark brown hair and unfortunately when you have dark hair it shows up on your legs and arms.
Hated summer, at school another reason to get bullied. started shaving them when I was 15 years old.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:53 am

Quote:
People who haven't read hair don't know what trouble is
- Anne Shirley

It's not so much the hair it's our weird almost see through skin. If I don't wear makeup or tinted moisturizer people think I'm ill.

I know a couple of very attractive red headed men in person though. It's not a huge turn off for everyone. Look at Prince Harry.

I have red hair and a boy in school told me I had really hairy arms. Thanks mate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 12:53 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
that's sad, I think red hair is nice especially when its curly.
I have dark brown hair and unfortunately when you have dark hair it shows up on your legs and arms.
Hated summer, at school another reason to get bullied. started shaving them when I was 15 years old.

It's curious you mention body hair. Blondes and redheads have the highest hair follice count per sqaure cm of skin of all hair types. If you look at the arms/legs of a blonde/redhead it's almost furry.