Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 11:13 pm

Is Aspergers still can call Autism?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 9:25 am

aspergers is not used much anymore, all autism is classified according to how much help a person might need. level 1, level 2, level 3 in the DSM now instead of aspergers, it isnow called level 1. ( USA, this might be different in other countries)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 11:23 am

The US is not the world. It's still used in a lot of countries, but it's always a subcategory of autism.

CrisChalcedony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2022, 11:38 am

A lot of people still identify with the term Asperger's, and in my experience NTs tend to understand it better than just saying autism, but that's just my experience. I think out in the world you can still use whichever term you want to.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2022, 3:40 pm

I don't like being lumped in with autism. I feel Asperger's should be a separate diagnosis altogether, because a lot of people diagnosed with Asperger's who I know of seem to be nerdy types with quirky personalities but seem to make friends, and maybe only have mild sensory problems like being wary of loud sudden noises.

I mean, how come Fragile-X syndrome isn't on the autism spectrum? Children with this condition but not autism with it still share autism traits such as stimming, social difficulties and some sensory issues with noise. Those traits typically come with FXS whether the child also has autism or not. They can also struggle as adults, with relationships and employment.

StrikeyPork
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2022, 12:27 am

I know this isnt completely on topic, but i couldn't really find a good thread to post this on. So basically I was diagnosed with Asperger's. Not that there is anything wrong with being autistic, I have a loving family who fully support everything I do, but the fact of knowing that I can only live one life, and in my one and only life I have to have autism, it just constantly eats away at me. The only real way I can use to express myself and the way I feel is through music. But to add to that, I have immense stage fright. Now to change the subject, girls, I am so anxiety ridden that I cant talk to the girl that I have been head over heels in love with for over 3 years now. What I'm getting at is that I have contemplated suicide so many times, even though I am aware that it only leads to eternal suffering. So please, if anyone here has advice for me, please let me know how you coped with your diagnosis, because this is really my last resort.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:07 am

Quote:
. Not that there is anything wrong with being autistic, I have a loving family who fully support everything I do, but the fact of knowing that I can only live one life, and in my one and only life I have to have autism, it just constantly eats away at me

That's EXACTLY how I feel. I hate autism. I hate having it. I hate it so, so much, that I refuse to tell anybody, even my own partner. That way I can pretend I don't have it at all, and feel more normal.
Sometimes it's hard to discuss this on autism forums because most autistics have an averse opinion on normality and they just go "why do you want to be like the rest for? Why do you want to be normal? Yuk!" and not understand that some of us are actually neurotypicals underneath our sh***y autism and that we're wired to be neurotypicals in a way but have sh***y autism getting in the way.
I get frustrated that there isn't many resources on this, which makes me feel alone. Sometimes I feel the definition of 'autism' doesn't describe me, because I'm too in tune of what other people think and feel, and autism is supposed to mean self-absorption. Sometimes advice given here is useless to me when it involves doing something considered weird or abnormal to others, and when I say I'm not doing that because of what other people will think, autistic people just scoff and say "don't worry about what they think, if they judge then it's their problem." A lot of autistics just don't understand how important social approval is to NTs and a minority of Aspies, and that life isn't as cut and dried as "if they don't like it they're not worth knowing". That cliched crap is too rational, and I'm a very irrational person. My thoughts don't always make sense, and I understand a lot of meanings behind people's feelings and intentions that most autistics here just don't see.

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2022, 9:23 am

StrikeyPork wrote:
I know this isnt completely on topic, but i couldn't really find a good thread to post this on. So basically I was diagnosed with Asperger's. Not that there is anything wrong with being autistic, I have a loving family who fully support everything I do, but the fact of knowing that I can only live one life, and in my one and only life I have to have autism, it just constantly eats away at me. The only real way I can use to express myself and the way I feel is through music. But to add to that, I have immense stage fright. Now to change the subject, girls, I am so anxiety ridden that I cant talk to the girl that I have been head over heels in love with for over 3 years now. What I'm getting at is that I have contemplated suicide so many times, even though I am aware that it only leads to eternal suffering. So please, if anyone here has advice for me, please let me know how you coped with your diagnosis, because this is really my last resort.

First of all, seek professional help. If you are at the stage of considering suicide, then it is highly likely that you will have hard time accepting who you are on your own. Remember that who you are is as valid as who everyone else is. In fact, I have wrote a post about problems with accepting oneself as autistic person today. Maybe you'll find my advice helpful: viewtopic.php?t=403098

As for answering your question, what I did was dissecting this diagnosis, looking back at how it affected my life, coming to terms with it, accepting and finally embracing it. Overall, for me, the diagnosis was a relief, an anchor which helped me to understand myself and people around me better.

I hope that you will find peace of mind. Remember - sooner or later we all gonna die, but we have ability to shape our own futures as long as we live.