Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2007, 11:45 pm

Start listening to them, NOW!

If you are devoted to music, this is an existential imperative!

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2007, 1:14 am

The answer to all your problems:

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 1:17 am

rock on!

one of the best bands in existence... EVER! Them and Bubblemath.

I mean it. EVER.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 10:24 am

I totally can't believe there's a Gentle Giant fan here! I did a double take when I saw the subject line. I grew up with a lot of progressive rock in my house as my oldest bro loved that stuff. Power and the Glory is a fantastic album. I LOVE Proclaimation - amazing tune. Free Hand is my favourite tune of theirs but I haven't heard the actual album.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 10:32 am

BTW do you like King Crimson as well? Unlike GG, they are still together and touring. I've seen them live twice - highly recommended.

Fripp is god. Bill Bruford is even ... godier.

MeshGearFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2007, 12:05 pm

Quirk wrote:
Power and the Glory is a fantastic album. I LOVE Proclaimation - amazing tune. Free Hand is my favourite tune of theirs but I haven't heard the actual album.

Here here! My favorite from Power and the Glory is "So (pause) Sin-(pause)cere!" Free Hand is a great album too. I was fascinated with the complicated round that goes "upon reflection now it's just an experience." I remember when my brother (who listened to nothing but Joe Jackson and The Police at the time) came into my room to ask "What the hell are you listening to? It's not even music!" The poor boy still can't listen to anything that ventures anywhere out of a major key.

Does anyone have any of the DVDs? Are they worth getting?

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 12:49 pm

I find king crimson to be BORING and pretentious. I love gentle giant though, all their songs rock and don't get boring. I love Octopus.

IF I COULD CRY I WOULD CRY FOR EVERYONE!

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 1:23 pm

Pretentious? BORING??

To be fair, they are very pretentious but I like them in spite of it... actually, it's part of their charm. I do agree that their early 70's stuff is incredibly boring BUT they went through several line changes. Each time the dynamic changed a lot. If you haven't, listen to some of their more recent stuff. My favourite is B'boom, a double live album recorded in South America from around 2000 (2 guitars, 2 basses and 2 drummers). Check out some o the internet, if you still think they're boring, fair enough.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 3:21 pm

yeah see, you don't need 2 basses and 2 drummers... thats just pretentious...

i still think GG is way better, 10 years of pure rocking, then they were like "lets get real jobs now" and now they are record execs, producers, and one is a zoologist.

Rock on GG!

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2007, 5:53 pm

yeah see, you don't need 2 basses and 2 drummers... thats just pretentious...

Er... of course you don't *need* it. You don't need any kind of music at all. But the music that the 6-piece King Crimson produced was not of this world, in what I think is the very coolest way. I like GG too, and frankly I am amazed to come to an AS group and hear people discussing my beloved prog bands instead of all Gary Numan all the time. :) (I love Gary too, btw.)

Funnily enough, I remember a few years back someone wrote to a King Crimson fan group asking if Robert Fripp were an aspie. Fripp's reaction was something along the lines of "don't you dare try to pathologise or categorise my identity" - understandable as the poster did not, I feel, mean to be kind or helpful. But Fripp is definitely... not normal, in some (I think very good) way.