Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 12:42 am

This is a good one. If you understand that people who think differently aren't necessarily trying to purposefully hurt you emotionally, you will feel a lot better about your life, most likely.

https://www.jamesvermillion.com/notebook/nuanced-thinking

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

Seems reasonable to me. I don't think I'm all that capable of anything but nuanced thinking. I used to be more black-and-white, and when an English teacher said that truth is often grey, I didn't like the idea, but over the years I got to appreciate its validity, even though it's much easier to indulge in sloppy polarised thinking. It gave me better success at solving practical problems, because if a thing is truly complicated, seeing it as simple tends to blow up in your face. It's much the same with interpersonal matters. I guess a lot of people are swift to stick horns, tails, and halos onto others, when a moment's careful reflection might remind them that nobody is a complete demon or angel, just people, with some traits you'll like and some you won't.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 9:40 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Seems reasonable to me. I don't think I'm all that capable of anything but nuanced thinking. I used to be more black-and-white, and when an English teacher said that truth is often grey, I didn't like the idea, but over the years I got to appreciate its validity, even though it's much easier to indulge in sloppy polarised thinking. It gave me better success at solving practical problems, because if a thing is truly complicated, seeing it as simple tends to blow up in your face. It's much the same with interpersonal matters. I guess a lot of people are swift to stick horns, tails, and halos onto others, when a moment's careful reflection might remind them that nobody is a complete demon or angel, just people, with some traits you'll like and some you won't.

I agree 100%. Wise words.