Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Emily S
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2022, 3:06 am

Does anyone here experience pain like all the time? I do, every day and have done for years. It can be in my stomach, hands and fingers, chest, back etc.. I've been to the doctors so many times and have had tests went to hospital a few times but they can't find anything wrong. I definitely don't imagine it, the pains really there I know it is.

I'm now thinking this could be a part of my autism? Or maybe to do with my mental health as I do suffer with that too.

What about you guys? You the same as me?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jan 2022, 3:45 am

If other sources have been ruled out, it probably can be related to autism, as a sensory problem.
I used to have unexplained physical and mental healthy problems until (in my thirties) I realised I was constantly overstimulated. Learning to adress it made me much better.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2022, 5:15 am

It could be the body reacting to overstimulation. It could be the physical residue of some childhood trauma. I have both but I'm doing better now that I'm learning some self regulation and tools for dealing with trauma.

Emily S

17 Jan 2022, 5:27 am

Yes it could be to do with that. Problem is it triggers my anxiety which then makes everything overwhelming.

How do you guys deal with it? I take pain killers but they don't work :/

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jan 2022, 6:33 am

Overstimulation - identify the stimuli and reduce as much as possible of them. In my case, it means e.g. wearing earplugs in noisy public spaces like supermarkets.
Childhood trauma - realise them and give yourself time to process what happened. A good therapist can help.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 6:50 am

Since autism is well known to mess with our sensory perceptions, I wonder if it could be partly proprioceptive struggles? Have you tried learning about bio feedback ? I know that can be very helpful for some folks. Hoping you can find relief.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2022, 6:54 am

I used to take pain medication when I experienced pain like this, until I realised it wasn’t doing anything but allowing me to avoid the root of the problem: childhood trauma and over stimulation. I haven’t taken any pain medication now for about 7 years.

The body will send of warning signals if the mind is actively avoiding something, or cannot bring the problem into consciousness or it is over stimulated. Hence the pain. Know your body’s limits, seek therapy, rest when over stimulated or use tools to reduce it. These are what have helped me! But I will admit, it is still a challenge at times.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 2:07 pm

I can certainly get hyper-aware of (presumably) small aches and pains that I suppose most people just screen out and ignore. The same is true of any physical feelings of discomfort, such as itching, pressures from a not-quite-perfectly-comfy chair, etc. But as long as I have something fascinating to focus on, I can be the opposite, and ignore moderate pain and discomfort. The same is true of psychological pain and discomfort, e.g. worry or grief. These days I try to keep myself intensely occupied.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 2:40 pm

Not constantly, but I am more hypersensitive to pain than the average person, which makes life very hard when you keep putting off important PAP tests or colonoscopies.

WanderingAengus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2022, 4:07 pm

I had this problem with migrating pain in my teens. When my anxiety disappeared, so did the pain. These days, I can bring the pain back just by concentrating on my body more. I think the reality of the problem - for me - was an anxious obsession with physical sensations. I was dealing with sensory overload way more often at the time, so I was thinking about my body and its physical symptoms constantly. I was always "on-guard" against the onset of sensory overload. I also experienced a persistent, aggressive "buzzing" in my head for the same reason. As my sensory issues became more controllable, the obsession faded until it wasn't creating problems for me anymore.

If you haven't already tried this approach, maybe switch to focusing on accepting your physical symptoms. If you come to peace with the physical discomfort, it might start to ebb. Assuming that your problem is similar to mine.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 4:36 pm

I only feel pain if it's sudden, like swallowing to much liquid or piercing myself with a needle. Or being left out socially or similar.
I've come to realize recently that the reason I basically don't have any sick leave isn't because I'm healthier than most, I just don't ralize that I'm ill.

/Mats

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2022, 12:47 am

What WanderingAengus said about acceptance is important. If pain is due to trauma, then resistance to it will only bring more pain. Accepting it allows the trauma to be processed. Gradually the pain decreases as the emotional root is dealt with. The past has happened. We cannot un-happen it, we can't change it. All we have control over is our relationship to the trauma and pain.

For overstimulation I am learning to limit my exposure to things that stress me.

For trauma, I've tried many many things. I seem to be having the best results with TRE (trauma release exercises). It allows me to gradually work on the physical remains of the trauma at a rate that works for me. It amazes me that a less that 5 minute session shaking on a mat can release what it does. I often take several weeks to process what happens in one session.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 1:40 am

I experience knee pain, pain in my tailbone and I get kinks in my neck and shoulders from time to time.

Ilovehorses29
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2022, 1:16 pm

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after 6-7 years of unexplained joint pain. If it were me, I'd ask your doctor about that. Even if it's just to rule it out, at least you'll know what it's not. It might be related to childhood trauma as other's have said. I remember when I was in therapy my pain lessened for a time.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 1:56 pm

Yes I'm always in pain. I think I might be suffering from Fibromyalgia.

My hands have become to achey for my hobbies lately. I like to draw and paint and play guitar, but it hurts too much now.

Kanashiihawk21
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2022, 2:34 pm

I have to be honest...As a 58 yr old lady with ASD, tactile over-stimulation can be a huge thing with me, so yes. Some pain CAN be exaggerated or the reverse! Let me give you two "for -instances" in my own situations from ages 3- to now. (Keep in mind I have had over 33 surgeries, given birth, have severe seizures/epilepsy as well as PTSD, so I know pain.) *wink*
I never could accurately do the "rate your pain" thing- (Like is it a 1,2,5?,8?) because with ME, it is like a computer. Pain or No pain. It all rates about a 7 to me, whether I have a bone sticking out or I have sprained an ankle. The kids "smiley" pain face works better with me. If tears are coming out of my eyes, it hurts bad enough for Dr's to put morphine in me.
I also have that same effect (affect?) in when I get hurt..In other words, I have had seizures and broken bones, but because it didn't "hurt that bad" I ignored it. Thus delaying times I should have had stitches put in or bones set.
Several folks I have known on the spectrum also have several common things I notice...abdominal/gut pain, joint pain, headaches (often because we have heightened hearing, vision, smell etc).
Sometimes, we are honestly just "more sensitive to things" some days and sometimes we are not. Start and make a pain diary...What activities etc make it feel better? worse? Make sure to eat a HEALTHY and balanced diet. Too much sugar/salt etc can be bad news for many of us on the spectrum. Best of health to you!
Warmly,
Jackie