Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 12:15 am

Remembering the man who redeemed America's secular soul.
No, he wasn't perfect. But it was his flaws and virtues that gave him his greatness.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 12:26 am

My aunt took my cousin to hear him speak in the late 50's, such a cool thing to be able to say. I think MLK righteously lead the 60's civil rights movement and gave some fantastic speeches. He also was a sexual predator or deviant and hypocrite as a pastor.

Both things can be true.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 1:24 am

txfz1 wrote:
My aunt took my cousin to hear him speak in the late 50's, such a cool thing to be able to say. I think MLK righteously lead the 60's civil rights movement and gave some fantastic speeches. He also was a sexual predator or deviant and hypocrite as a pastor.

Both things can be true.

I seriously think you're being too hard on him for the sexual stuff. Men in general back then didn't have the sexual boundaries they have today, which has to be taken into account.
Martin Luther, who MLK was named for, liked his beer a little too much, was too free with his tongue when it came to scalding his opponents with verbal abuse, and began spouting Anti-Semitic rage in his later years when his physical ailments caught up with his mental faculties. Yet, Luther's contribution to western civilization overshadows all that. Same with MLK.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 4:35 pm

[quote="txfz1"He also was a sexual predator or deviant and hypocrite as a pastor.
Both things can be true.[/quote]

It seemed rather two faced the FBI were harassing the great man over the same foibles the Kennedy men were famous for,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 4:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Yet, Luther's contribution to western civilization overshadows all that. Same with MLK.

MLK, the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela and thousands of college students in the 1960s were suburb examples of the concept of "swaraj" first practiced by the father of non-violent protest Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi's contribution to western civilisation is always ignored.

The many thousands of racist police and white protesters in the US were captured on film attacking peaceful young black men and women with dogs and sticks looked incredibly evil. Public opinion had no choice but to shift and ushered a new era. The greatest weapon MLK had in his cause was the camera. ironically the mobile phone and social media has been instrumental for continuing the non-violent battle for civil rights. In the latest echo of MLK was the capture of George Floyd's demise at the hands of police echoing the protest from the days of MLK.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 5:01 pm

MLK Day has come and gone.  Now what?

Around here, it was a non-event.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 5:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
MLK Day has come and gone.  Now what?

Around here, it was a non-event.

That's why Kraichie posted to remind us...

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm

First year my employer had it as a holiday.

After careful consideration I decided that I'll take it. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 5:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
MLK Day has come and gone.  Now what?  Around here, it was a non-event.
That's why Kraichie posted to remind us...
That it happened?  Yeah, I already knew that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:12 pm

I had MLK day off, but not because it was MLK day, but because the weather gave me an excuse to text in sick - they didnt even cancel work because of the weather.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:39 pm

My school closed for MLK Day yesterday, so I took the opportunity to keep up with homework.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 6:57 pm

The whatabout Kennedy is even worst when you include Teddy's leaving her in the car. No, just being the same room during a rape is on the same par as Teddy in my book. The FBI is a political tool, always has been and always will be.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 8:15 pm

txfz1 wrote:
The whatabout Kennedy is even worst when you include Teddy's leaving her in the car. No, just being the same room during a rape is on the same par as Teddy in my book. The FBI is a political tool, always has been and always will be.

You forgot Kennedy Snr doing business with the mob

Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 8:30 pm

Not knowing a lot about the civil rights movement, and probably an unpopular opinion, but I find Malcolm X the more truthful and intelligent person of that time. Malcolm X was dangerous to the white establishment but King's message could be appropriated without the need to actually allow black people an equal standing. Thus King was elevated and Malcolm written out because it suited white people, not black. The establishment has always feared an educated, smart, young black man who speaks the truth.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 8:40 pm

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

I think both worked to expedite the change. Malcolm X showed the urgency while MLK preached the peaceful protest. MLK had the numbers and Malcolm X was hurt by the Nation of Islam.