Job Experience: A Hope in the Working World

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Cyrano
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2007, 1:28 pm

My experiences in work are those that I'd like to share with you, especially those who have trouble finding jobs because of Asperger's Syndrome, in the hopes that you'll take my lead and find hope in the working world.

From some of my posts, you may know that I'm sixteen right now, and have already been brought down by the notions that since I'm a 4' 10" and female, my pay will be significantly lower than those of you blessed with height and a penis. :) However, this is not the point.

This summer, I went about looking for my first job. I quickly weeded out jobs that forced me to deal with people alone, such as retirement homes, [a pity because my town has so many of them!] because I simply do not have the attention and tolerance capacity to deal with old people, especially those that like to touch. I applied to a number of places around, to no avail. And then I got an interview at the a local pet store that had recently moved to my home town.

Since I was four, I have gone through various phases involving animals, and had accumulated an impressive amount of information involving animals and animal care, specifically, dogs. I still continue that interest, though my obsession with it has waned, and have retained all the facts I learned.

I went for an interview. I was extremely nervous, but I told my supervisor that I had lots of experience with animals and was quite knowledgable in the field of animals and animal study, and would enjoy working at such a place. I was hired.

I never got around to mentioning to my bosses that I had Asperger's Syndrome, but in a post on Facebook, some of my co-workers found out and didn't think any less of me. I started out in Puppy Maintenance and was soon, to my surprise, promoted to Puppy Sales. This job involved working with the general public, helping people play with and purchase puppies, and recommend various foods and supplies, as well as completing lots of paperwork.

The day my manager promoted me, he started asking me lots of questions about dogs, all of which I could answer in impressive detail. I was moved up the next day, and I am now the youngest salesperson on the floor. I could only attribute this success to my attention to details: my Asperger's Syndrome.

I still have this job and love what I do. I help people get pets that they'll love for life, and I am able to provide people with the information that they need. Sometimes the amount of people aggravates me, and the number of customers bothering me can cause great pressure, but I make money for myself, and knowing that I'm self-sufficient for my age brings me great pleasure.

So, Aspies, I tell you this story with a motivation in mind: Do what you love. Do what you know. Don't aggravate yourself with menial tasks that don't bring your talents to the table. Showcase your knowledge and blow people away. [And maybe make a little money, too.] :)

Jess

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 2:01 pm

Hey, good to hear that Jess :D
Cyrano?

Cyrano
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2007, 2:02 pm

computerlove wrote:
Hey, good to hear that Jess :D
Cyrano?

Either or. Jess's the given name, Cyrano's the optional one. :)

xanadu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2007, 2:05 pm

Jess,

thanks for sharing your story!
It's always encouraging and motivating for me to hear of others' success, especially here.

Personally I guess I can be called lucky too - I work as a programmer and most of the work I do matches my interests; and there is not much contact to strangers (read customers). Working in an open office stresses me sometimes, but life can't be perfect. Overall I'm quite happy with it.

Good luck with the job!

Xanadu

Space
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 12:36 am

Cyrano wrote:
So, Aspies, I tell you this story with a motivation in mind: Do what you love. Do what you know. Don't aggravate yourself with menial tasks that don't bring your talents to the table. Showcase your knowledge and blow people away. [And maybe make a little money, too.] :)

Jess

I only read the last paragraph, but I agree 100 % :D