So...when will the front door of WP be usable again?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 10:20 am

I assume everyone has seen this... that that first portal that comes up when you type "Wrong Planet" is not usable.

It's commandeered by that "Kurdish hacker team1477" or whatever they call themselves.

But you can come here by clicking on that little thing lower on the page that says "wrong planet forum". Then its all good and normal. I call that the "back door".

I hope Alex is working on fixing the problem with hacked front door.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 11:18 am

I am not seeing this, unless you mean something else by "front door".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 11:51 am

Mikah wrote:
I am not seeing this, unless you mean something else by "front door".

not that. its what comes up on my computer.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Feb 2022, 11:51 am

Where are you typing "Wrong Planet" - is it a search engine you're using?
What do you mean by "front door" - the main page as seen at https://wrongplanet.net ?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:03 pm

Yes to the second question.

Am in the habit of using Microsoft Edge.

But i just checked now, and it doesnt seem to happen on explorer, nor on Yahoo.

On Microsoft edge that main site - the first thing that always comes up -comes up. Maybe its just me being hacked. But I get this scary thing - about Haker team 1477.

But when I leave THAT (fast as I can) and scroll down the first page of the search engine - I see "related searches". And I see on the long list something called "Wrongplanet Forums". So I click on THAT, and here I am. Just the same WP site working like normal. So its the same thing as that first thing that comes on the search engine of Microsoft Edge, but ...its not the same thing, because I can use to get to this site.

But I should try using other search engines to get here just for the heck of it as well.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:04 pm

Cornflake wrote:
What do you mean by "front door" - the main page as seen at https://wrongplanet.net ?

Am on Microsoft Edge right now. And when I click the link your post ...I get the same sinister thing I keep getting.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:11 pm

You might have some malware indeed, it's time for some scanning. Check your hosts file too.

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Edit: forum never likes links that contain brackets...

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:25 pm

Think you could screenshot what you see? I'm curious and it might offer a clue as to what you have been infected with.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Feb 2022, 12:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Am on Microsoft Edge right now. And when I click the link your post ...I get the same sinister thing I keep getting.
8O Oops. That implies there's something sinister going on on your device, locally changing the link I gave into something else.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

12 Feb 2022, 12:28 pm

Mikah wrote:
forum never likes links that contain brackets...
A workaround is to include the link inside [url] tags, a slightly lengthier substitute for just typing/pasting it.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:31 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Ah yes that works. I'll do that from now on for troublesome links. Thanks.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 1:44 pm

I actually started getting the same thing the other day, though it stopped after a few hours and I haven't seen it again. It didn't happen to any other site I was using, and I haven't downloaded anything or gone to any new sites lately that would have given me malware, so I knew that it wasn't my computer causing it.

When it happened I Googled the name they provided (can't remember it now though) and it looks like some other sites are down because of who ever those people are.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 1:50 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I actually started getting the same thing the other day, though it stopped after a few hours and I haven't seen it again. It didn't happen to any other site I was using, and I haven't downloaded anything or gone to any new sites lately that would have given me malware, so I knew that it wasn't my computer causing it.

When it happened I Googled the name they provided (can't remember it now though) and it looks like some other sites are down because of who ever those people are.

Sounds more like a DNS hijack. You might be ok, naturalplastic.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 2:06 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
When it happened I Googled the name they provided (can't remember it now though)...

I remembered the name, it was "1877 Team". They even seem to have a Twitter and retweet stuff about the sites they're messing with. lol

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 7:09 pm

So SOME folks are getting it. Its still on the first link to wrongplanet on this browser. So I have to find this second link on the page way down the page to get here-when on this browser.

This 1477 team claims to be "Kurdish". I googled "team 1477". Couldnt find anything ABOUT them by anyone else. But found lots of their online stuff. Arabic script. Vidoes. Rap music. Repurposed scenes of Al Pacino in Scarface. They like violent gangsa rap and violent movies I guess. But why they hacked into my link to an autism website is ...not obviousl to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 7:11 pm

I have gotten the "WP has been hacked" message but then I use another url to this site (forums index one) that pops up on my phone when I type in the name and it brings me to this site but I cannot access it through wrongpanet.net.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.