Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Owen12451668
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2022, 6:12 pm

Hi all, does anyone feel like drinking accentuates Asperger's or not necessarily?

Thanks in advance.

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2022, 3:26 am

Helps tear the down the facades we put up?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:42 am

I do it rarely and with a limit of one or two beers. I find anything more makes me ignore sensory stimulation and leads to bad burnout.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 3:55 am

TwisterUprocker wrote:
Helps tear the down the facades we put up?

^^^^
This

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 7:09 am

A lot of Aspies, and introverted NTs, drink alcohol to enhance their social skills. After all, any weirdness or social faux pas becomes socially acceptable when one is drunk. NTs love the uncanny valley all of a sudden when alcohol is involved.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 7:57 am

Joe90 wrote:
NTs love the uncanny valley all of a sudden when alcohol is involved.

LOL! Very well said. This should be on a poster somewhere.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 2:55 pm

when i used to drink and smoke drugs i was practically a nt and all the gangster type druggies I went around with never believed i was autistic no matter how much i told them

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 2:59 pm

Yeah, me too. Alcohol actual makes me extroverted....more 'normal'.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2022, 11:29 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
NTs love the uncanny valley all of a sudden when alcohol is involved.

LOL! Very well said. This should be on a poster somewhere.

Agreed.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 11:32 am

When I used to smoke (insert green plant here) I made it my entire personality, at 16 years old, and it helped me make friends. Everyone knew me as the stoner. I set my ringtone to Snoop Dogg, everyone laughed. Then when I stopped smoking, I wasn’t sure what my personality was anymore. I had to try and search for a new one. When I turned 21 I realized drinking made me more social. I never became an alcoholic I don’t believe, but I started wanting to drink before any social interaction. It really does help, and I still find myself wanting to drink when around a group. Or even just hanging out with my close friends.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 2:35 pm

I guess it's a double-edged sword.

On the plus side, it might get you better accepted by the mainstream alcohol-worshippers (there's nothing like joining in a common ritual for improving popularity), it may have "social lubricant" properties that loosen the tongue and break the ice of inhibition, and give the partaker a bit of what used to be called "Dutch courage," and many people on alcohol experience a nice warm glow - if you feel good, people will be more disposed to like you, except in more serious settings.

On the minus side, alcohol tends to addle the brain, and if your social performance depends on clear, quick thinking, you could easily make a complete fool of yourself. And you could be cutting yourself off from the very type of people you might be better off having as friends - thoughtful, quiet, polite people who don't feel so comfortable around piss artists.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 2:37 pm

I hope "eccentric" drinking doesn't lead to a "eccentric" liver.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 3:41 pm

It seems to be a cultural thing in the UK to drink alcohol, as more people I know drink than don't, and those that don't are elderly but used to drink in their younger days. So I think it explains why I don't have as many friends as other Aspies I know of, because they all drink when they go out and don't seem afraid of hangovers like I am. Yes I know having one or two won't give me a hangover but I'm still not taking any chances. Drinking alcohol makes the time go by quicker and makes being in noisy, busy bars more bearable - even for a lot of NTs.

I don't think I've met anyone other than me who didn't get drunk on their 18th or 21st birthday. Oh, only one person I knew didn't, but she had downs syndrome and didn't really know what a bar was.
I bet even most Aspies here did.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 4:22 pm

I'll stand up and be counted and say as a college student weed and drink improved my quality of life immensely.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 10:34 am

Joe90 wrote:
It seems to be a cultural thing in the UK to drink alcohol

Yes. I guess that's why Boris Johnson made a point of being photographed in a Pub drinking a Pint when he was trying to rescue the ailing hospitality industry. There was even a debate in the House Of Commons once on the huge problem of the froth at the top of draught beer slightly reducing the amount of ale in the glass, and they introduced a government-endorsed mark on the glasses to try to correct that terrible problem. And there was a moral panic when the EU wanted the UK to serve half-litres instead of pints - the price would have been adjusted accordingly, but the concern was that it wouldn't be a Pint any more, which was unthinkable. It makes little economic sense to pay hospitality-industry prices for alcohol when it's so much cheaper from a supermarket (you can save even more money by brewing your own), but so many people would rather be fleeced than miss out on obeying the the sacred ritual to the letter, that it's possible to make millions out of it.

I joined in with the herd myself the moment I was old enough, but I lost interest after a few years.

FairyFox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2022, 10:43 am

alcool reduces anxiety, at the beginning.
so lot of folx is using it as a kind of ehm. medication.
but its too risky to get addicted.