Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 10:48 pm

What percentage of your music listening is done through headphones.

I'm imagining those with AS have a tendency to listen to headphones often.

I'm probably at a good 80%. I have a nice set of headphones, since it's more cost efficient to get great sound quality out of headphones than a speaker set up.

I like noticing the details in recording, or the layering done in the studio. Noticing little details, like how many voices are harmonizing. Subtle additions to instruments texture.

Or it's fun to listen to articulations of a solo instrument. It's hard to hear this stuff with speakers, at least my speaker set up.

Though I do enjoy listening to speakers, I feel the music more... it's part of the room. Instead of just being inside my head, which is how headphones feel.

Though just due to prefering to keep what I am listening to private... I go to the headphones. Plus apartment dwelling... not quite sure how loud I should go.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 12:00 am

Yeah pretty much everything you said applies to me.

I have a decent speaker setup in the lounge that I actually built myself from MDF, back in highschool. They are running 10" woofers, 4" mid-ranges and a dome tweeter each. I have a nice Rotel 2x60WRMS amplifier to power them. I was a lot younger at the time otherwise I would have bought the 2x100WRMS model, because when it comes to amps, you want enough power to blow the speakers. Not because you actually want to blow your speakers! Because a more powerful amp is capable of reproducing the greatest richness of sound.

Even though my setup is pretty decent I have for the longest time wanted a pair of >>these<<, as they present exceptional sound quality for the price. They are very efficient too, so even my 60W amp would power them sufficiently at least. I can't imagine using them enough to justify the price and I would probably have the landlord banging down my door everyday if I did lol :P

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 4:11 am

I listen to music through headphones a lot more than I used to, probably half the time. I get a lot higher volume than I can get from my stereo. At higher volume I can also hear all frequencies better and hear stuff that I miss on my stereo (10 watt system from 1998-1999). It's a lot cheaper than spending several hundred dollars on a new stereo system. I have a habit of pacing a lot more when listening to music, so I still listen to the stereo when I have extra energy and can't sit still and stay in one spot. 5-10$ headphone sound similar in quality to 80-100$ stereo system.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2007, 7:06 am

Probably about 90% of the time I listen using headphones - for the same reasons you mention Pugly. I like to hear all the details and be able to listen to it as loud as I want (without damaging my ears). The times I don't use headphones is usually just in the car.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 7:07 am

98-100% of the time -- if anyone else is in the house, I don't want to bother them with my noise pollution, since I hate theirs so much.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2007, 8:34 am

I don't mind headphones at home once in a while but I don't like them outdoors. It actually freaks me out a bit as it feels like I'm being deprived of one of my senses. I don't like not hearing what's going on around me.

01 Aug 2007, 8:48 am

I never do. most of the time I listen to music I'm alone in my apartment or in my car.