Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 140 of 196 [ 3131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 196  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 2:12 pm

^ Exhibit A

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 4:42 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
^ Exhibit A

He made people suffer, don't you see what a top dog alpha male that makes him? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:41 pm

magz wrote:

More seriously: Monastyrsky (Ukrainian minister of internal affairs) died in a helicopter crash. Hopefully, the system is resilient enough to survive it without much turbulence.

Isn't he one of the ministers who is considered corrupt?
Government corruption is a big problem in Ukraine, based on what the youtube blogger Denys has said.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i still don't get why the majority of our GOP has taken russia's side on this.

I am not sure it is the majority, but the right seems to want to be isolationist and focus on domestic politics rather than sending billions to help Ukraine.
This, amongst Australian military security, is why I don't want to see Trump/the-GOP back in office.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:51 pm

magz wrote:
The more I learn about it, the stronger my suspicion that Putin contributed greatly to Trump getting into power - to have the West sink in its own trouble, have NATO collapsed and no one to stop Putin's plans.

I'm really glad there were people to block the stupidest ideas of Trump.

I don't lean towards that line of thinking.
If you look at Trump's MO, you will see he wants to be on friendly terms with leaders like pootin and Kim Jong Un, presumably to garner some influence on their decision-making.

This is a fact my opinion. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
magz wrote:
The more I learn about it, the stronger my suspicion that Putin contributed greatly to Trump getting into power - to have the West sink in its own trouble, have NATO collapsed and no one to stop Putin's plans.

I'm really glad there were people to block the stupidest ideas of Trump.

I completely agree and I hope 'Trumpism' (as it is called) dies out sooner rather than later, not just for our sake but for Ukraine and the rest of Europe.

only to be replaced by desatanism, that florida guy is goin' places.

<sigh> :?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:55 pm

magz wrote:
I can't find much about DeSantis' opinions on international policies.
He's pro-Israel, anti-China and criticized Biden for Afghanistan withdrawal (at the time, I criticized him for it, too) but apparently, he took no position on NATO or Ukraine at all... waiting for poll results?

DeSantis is a saner, less narcissistic alternative to Trump based on what I have seen.
Both Biden and Trump need to retire from politics.
This is a fact. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:58 pm

magz wrote:
More competent, not an idiot, but still populist?
Indeed, this is dangerous. Our Eminence Grise is like that. I do not recommend.

I prefer Desantis to Trump.
This IS a fact. :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 5:58 pm

Ukraine's interior ministry leadership killed in helicopter crash

Quote:
The three main figures in Ukraine's interior ministry have been killed in a helicopter crash beside a nursery in an eastern suburb of the capital Kyiv.

Interior Minister Denys Monastyrsky, 42, died alongside his first deputy minister and state secretary.

Fourteen people died when the helicopter came down in Brovary around 08:30 local time (06:30 GMT), including one child, authorities said.

There is no indication the crash was anything other than an accident.

But the SBU state security service said it was following several possible causes for the crash, which included sabotage as well as a technical malfunction or breach of flight rules.

The helicopter came down near a kindergarten building which was left badly damaged and blackened by smoke.

The State Emergency Service had previously stated that up to 18 people were killed but later revised the death toll from the crash, saying 14 had died.

Mr Monastyrsky, who was one of President Volodymyr Zelensky's longest serving political advisers, is the highest profile Ukrainian casualty since the war began.

The deputy head of Ukraine's presidential office, Kyrylo Tymoshenko, said the minister had been travelling to a war "hot spot" when his helicopter went down.

The head of police in the north-eastern city of Kharkiv, Volodymyr Tymoshko, said the ministerial team were on their way to meet him there and he had spoken to them only yesterday.

The minister's death cuts to the heart of the government in Kyiv as the interior ministry has the vital task of maintaining security and running the police during the war.

Appearing via video-link at the World Economic Forum in Davos, President Zelensky asked leaders to observe a minute of silence for the lives lost in the helicopter crash, and later added "there are no accidents at war time. These are all war results absolutely."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2023, 10:44 pm

if done properly, it will look like an accident.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 2:42 am

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
More seriously: Monastyrsky (Ukrainian minister of internal affairs) died in a helicopter crash. Hopefully, the system is resilient enough to survive it without much turbulence.

Isn't he one of the ministers who is considered corrupt?
Government corruption is a big problem in Ukraine, based on what the youtube blogger Denys has said.

No, he was one of the "new generation" politicians, implementing transparency policies to curb the system-wide corruption.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 3:06 am

Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
I find "not idiot" generally better than "idiot".
But his silence on one of the highest profile international afairs is worrying. Like he had no principles on it at all, only wanted to wait it through not to lose the isolationist post-Trump electorate but not to anger the rest. That's a strong sign of populism in an extremely dangerous area.

You gain nothing from someone not being an idiot if their decision-making process is founded on populism.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 3:35 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
I find "not idiot" generally better than "idiot".
But his silence on one of the highest profile international afairs is worrying. Like he had no principles on it at all, only wanted to wait it through not to lose the isolationist post-Trump electorate but not to anger the rest. That's a strong sign of populism in an extremely dangerous area.

You gain nothing from someone not being an idiot if their decision-making process is founded on populism.

I see it as being politically pragmatic.
Regardless, he is a better alternative than Trump, imo.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2023, 3:43 am

"Chamberlaining" with agressive dictators and leaving East NATO to Russia could also be explained as "politically pragmatic" and I would have a pretty strong opinion on this kind of "pragmatism".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:17 am

magz wrote:
"Chamberlaining" with agressive dictators and leaving East NATO to Russia could also be explained as "politically pragmatic" and I would have a pretty strong opinion on this kind of "pragmatism".

You do remember that I said I don't want ANY GOP leader back in the Presidency because of their seeming isolationist stance, right?

I am not defending DeSantis.
I am merely giving a rational explanation as to why he is being "strategically ambivalent". 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 4:20 am

desatan would take us back to the 19th century in many different ways. first of all, he very likely [as standard-issue fascist GOP, especially based on his actions as florida guvnor] would preside over the destruction of social safety net programs such as social security and medicare, he would make it illegal to be LGBTQ, he would cheer from the sidelines as russia takes over all of europe, etc. and he would also preside over the practical and legal destruction of the 1st amendment so none of us could criticize any of these destructions. during the last nightmare era of trumpioid, we barely escaped that fate when just enough people of goodwill stymied his worst plans. there's no guarantee that the stars this time will align so favorably in a desatan administration with a lockstep rubberstamp congress.