George Zimmerman loses defamation suit agnst Martin family

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

17 Feb 2022, 3:26 am

A Florida judge has dismissed a 100 million dollar defamation and conspiracy lawsuit filed by George Zimmerman against the parents of Trayvon Martin — the teenager he fatally shot in 2012.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/n ... von-martin

Zimmerman was acquitted of charges connected to the fatal shooting in 2013. He said he shot Martin in self-defense under Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. Prosecutors claimed Zimmerman racially profiled Martin and noted that he had continued to pursue the boy against the advice of an emergency dispatcher.

I thought after Sarah Palin's attempt to make money from Gabby Gifford's misfortune this is also good news that the low life Zimmerman has also been told to "get lost" from his attempt to make money from the family of his murder victim.



Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,855

17 Feb 2022, 3:30 am

Another one bites the dust.



TwisterUprocker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 24 Nov 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 145

17 Feb 2022, 4:24 am

For the record the suit was filed late 2019

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ge ... s-n1095916



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 16,982
Location: I'm right here

17 Feb 2022, 11:38 am

Imagine having the audacity to sue the parents of your murder victim.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,585
Location: Pacific Northwest

17 Feb 2022, 1:00 pm

It's so sad people are not able to see their own racism and understand they are subconsciously racist without even being aware of it. I bet if you try to tell them this, they will say you are gaslighting them. :roll:


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,091
Location: Seattle-ish

17 Feb 2022, 1:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Imagine having the audacity to sue the parents of your murder victim.


Well, he seems to think they used a fake witness to try and put him in prison (it wasn't a simple defamation suit and it wasn't just the Martins being sued), so I could see being a bit salty if I thought someone did that to me. Also, legally speaking Zimmerman was the victim and Martin was the attacker he shot in self defense, all of the evidence at the trial was in his favor regardless of what one thinks of the propriety of following a person one deems suspicious.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 16,982
Location: I'm right here

17 Feb 2022, 1:57 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Also, legally speaking Zimmerman was the victim and Martin was the attacker he shot in self defense, all of the evidence at the trial was in his favor regardless of what one thinks of the propriety of following a person one deems suspicious.


That's quite a powerful indictment of the institutions that protected the child murderer, whether you're willing to concede it or not. J.W. Milam and Roy Bryant also weren't convicted as murderers but that doesn't change the moral nature of their murderous actions.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

17 Feb 2022, 3:40 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Imagine having the audacity to sue the parents of your murder victim.


Well, he seems to think they used a fake witness to try and put him in prison (it wasn't a simple defamation suit and it wasn't just the Martins being sued), so I could see being a bit salty if I thought someone did that to me. Also, legally speaking Zimmerman was the victim and Martin was the attacker he shot in self defense, all of the evidence at the trial was in his favor regardless of what one thinks of the propriety of following a person one deems suspicious.


He was also told by the police dispatch to not pursue Trayvon Martin.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,550
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

17 Feb 2022, 3:50 pm

Me jumping for joy that Zimmerman lost his defamation suit: :bounce:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,731

17 Feb 2022, 3:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Me jumping for joy that Zimmerman lost his defamation suit: :bounce:


Sarah Palin sends her condolences :lol:



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,091
Location: Seattle-ish

17 Feb 2022, 4:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
That's quite a powerful indictment of the institutions that protected the child murderer, whether you're willing to concede it or not. J.W. Milam and Roy Bryant also weren't convicted as murderers but that doesn't change the moral nature of their murderous actions.


Ah, I see we're not dealing with reality, as a 17 year old is not a "child", and the Zimmerman case bore no similarity at all to the Till killing, a relatively straightforward self defense claim vs a kidnapping and murder. What is your theory of the case? That Zimmerman just picked a kid at random to murder because he was black, and then planned and executed the crime so perfectly, down to his own injuries and a rock solid consistency of statements, that the state couldn't prove it wasn't actually self defense?


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,091
Location: Seattle-ish

17 Feb 2022, 4:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
He was also told by the police dispatch to not pursue Trayvon Martin.


Which has absolutely no bearing on the subsequent self defense claim, as has been explained to you ad nauseam for nearly a decade now.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,550
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

17 Feb 2022, 5:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Me jumping for joy that Zimmerman lost his defamation suit: :bounce:


Sarah Palin sends her condolences :lol:


:lol: I'm sure!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 16,982
Location: I'm right here

17 Feb 2022, 5:26 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
That's quite a powerful indictment of the institutions that protected the child murderer, whether you're willing to concede it or not. J.W. Milam and Roy Bryant also weren't convicted as murderers but that doesn't change the moral nature of their murderous actions.


Ah, I see we're not dealing with reality, as a 17 year old is not a "child", and the Zimmerman case bore no similarity at all to the Till killing, a relatively straightforward self defense claim vs a kidnapping and murder. What is your theory of the case? That Zimmerman just picked a kid at random to murder because he was black, and then planned and executed the crime so perfectly, down to his own injuries and a rock solid consistency of statements, that the state couldn't prove it wasn't actually self defense?


I'm not sure why he initiated a confrontation that caused the child to need to defend himself and I'm not sure why he chose to escalate the conflict he initiated but none of those details are needed to recognize it as a miscarriage of justice.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,091
Location: Seattle-ish

17 Feb 2022, 6:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not sure why he initiated a confrontation that caused the child to need to defend himself and I'm not sure why he chose to escalate the conflict he initiated but none of those details are needed to recognize it as a miscarriage of justice.


The miscarriage was that he was charged at all in light of the evidence supporting his self defense claim, it was only brought to trial in order to appease angry liberals who don't understand our legal system.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,209
Location: Aux Arcs

17 Feb 2022, 7:07 pm

Image


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi