Need advice about aspie girl I am likely going to date

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

XenopusMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2022, 3:46 am

I’d like to begin by saying that I’m supposedly an aspie myself (I was diagnosed), although I personally believe that I was misdiagnosed. If I am legitimately on the spectrum, then I am so good at masking that I can pretty much navigate any social situation. Very few people believe my diagnosis is legitimate.
However, most of my friends happen to be aspies, and about a month ago I met this really cool girl in my college dorm with very similar interests with me. We pretty much hit it off right away and began hanging out on an almost daily basis. Recently our relationship has clearly evolved romantic components, as well as sexual. I am honestly flabbergasted as until now I was sure I’d die a kissless virgin. But here I am, at age 21, having my first ever romantic experiences. We have confirmed to each other that we like each other and feel very close. She said that we most likely will start dating in the near future when I asked her, but we both agreed that we want to get a little more used to each other first. After all, it’s only been four weeks since we’ve met. That, said, her parents have already met me, and seem to approve of me- in fact, her dad was surprised at how nice of a guy I was. This girl has Asperger’s, and while I like her for who she is and am personally very against telling people what to do and asking people to change, there is one thing I am slightly concerned about.
We have reciprocal conversations a lot, and she clearly legitimately cares about me, but it often feels like we can only do what she wants to do. For example, I agree to watch whatever she wants to watch but she never wants to watch whatever I suggest. Again, I know this is an aspect of having Asperger’s, and I don’t blame her for it, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to let her know that sometimes I feel a tiny bit like the subordinate one in our relationship and that I would like it if we could sometimes do what I want to do. I wonder if that would realistically even work or if it would just worry her.
If anybody here could give me their two cents I’d greatly appreciate it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 8:43 am

Obviously, it would be absurd if she was allowed to do what she wants to do all the time----and you are left in the lurch as a result.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 11:54 am

Tell her exactly what you wrote here, be direct with her. A lot of Autistics appreciate directness.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 2:56 pm

XenopusMan wrote:
We have reciprocal conversations a lot, and she clearly legitimately cares about me, but it often feels like we can only do what she wants to do. For example, I agree to watch whatever she wants to watch but she never wants to watch whatever I suggest.

Among the things that she likes to do, what portion of them are things that you have an intrinsic interest in too, vs. what portion of them are things you do only because she is interested in them?

I would suggest that, most of the time at least, you and she do only things that you both like. Don't be doing things just for her, except occasionally maybe. If you don't do a lot of things just for her, then hopefully it will feel less unfair that she doesn't do a lot of things just for you either.

Do you and she have any interests/hobbies/etc. in common?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Mar 2022, 6:41 am

I've been told by more than a few women & guys(including my girlfriend's psychiatrist who is a guy), that the woman should get her way in the relationship more than the guy does. Happy wife means a happy life as they say. However the woman should not be getting her way seemingly most all the time because the relationship starts to feel very one-sided. My 2nd relationship felt very one-sided to me because she was in college & very dependent on her parents who were very traditional & wanted things on their terms. Due to me not having much going on & her circumstances, I kinda had to go along with things but it felt to me like I had much less control over our relationship than her & her parents did & it contributed to me having some negative behaviors that caused her to break up with me :(

OP are you asserting your wants with her & are expressing your desire to do other things than what she wants :?: If not this may be a case of her assuming you like doing what she likes or that you don't have much of a preference. It can be hard for me to assert my wants sometimes within my current relationship because I hate disappointing her & she has a hard time expressing her wants in general. I would much rather go along with whatever she wants than have her upset with me after. If the answer to my question is Yes, I agree with Zakatar & think a direct conversation about this might be helpful. Try to stress that you are not trying to sound like your complaining & that you like doing things with her even if they were not the things you would plan but that you'd like to plan & decide a little more often. It would probably take a bit of trial & error to find the rite balance for the both of you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition