"locus of control" - neuronormative and material privilege

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 2:28 pm

There is so much neuronormative and material privilege and callousness in this it makes me sick. I hope the future views this simplistic pablum unfavorably.

"Locus of control"...an educated person's "pull yourself up by your bootstraps." It's no wonder autism is such a mystery to these people. This is the caliber of their thinking.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:01 pm

Yeah, no matter how direct you are it seems hard to get anywhere. For example, trying to explain sensory sensitivity with noise. I think NTs get that loud noises are really annoying to you, but don't get that pretty much all noises are loud. It's not just the booming bass, it's crinkling, zippers, walking, chewing, pen clicking, etc., etc.

Or maybe I'm just whiney and really weak :roll:

The other problem for us is how a lot of therapy focuses on change within the person. The problem is never the environment or circumstance, and for us environment and circumstance are huge problems.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 7:43 pm

NTs are bad at some types of abstraction. It all comes down to it being hard to empathize with people different from ourselves

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2022, 1:09 am

FWIW youtube has this feature where a channel can silently hide your comment. When you visit you see your comment, but nobody else does. It's called shadow banning. If you think it might have happened you can visit in another browser in which you aren't signed in, and if you don't see your comment, then either does anyone else.

That's what happened to my comment on this video.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2022, 2:01 pm

NT's are pretty dumb. Some are downright nasty.

The smart ones simply cannot feel what it is like to be Autistic, in most respects, unless they have some specific out-of-sync Autistic trait, like a phobia.

So yeah, we will be forever oppressed in this Earth dungeon unless we either

a) seek a cure
b) have our own Autistic community (I prefer a non-hateful one).

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 3:38 am

TenMinutes wrote:
There is so much neuronormative and material privilege and callousness in this it makes me sick. I hope the future views this simplistic pablum unfavorably.

"Locus of control"...an educated person's "pull yourself up by your bootstraps." It's no wonder autism is such a mystery to these people. This is the caliber of their thinking.

Watched it.

Hmmm, it's not as bad as some of the people who talk about "locus of control." At least, in this video, it is recognized that there are indeed at least some things we can't control.

But I would still criticize this video for putting too much focus on becoming more "internal" about one's "locus of control." I think, instead, that people should aim to become more realistic both about what they can control and about what they can't control. People can err in both directions.

The psychiatrist featured in this video certainly exudes a comfy upper-middle-class vibe. I wouldn't put much faith in her ability to identify a realistic "locus of control" for clients from less-privileged backgrounds.

Also, therapy based on the idea of "locus of control" can be worse than useless for an autistic client if the therapist does not understand autism.

However, if the therapist is truly knowledgeable about autism and makes a point of identifying the individual client's particular set of strengths and intrinsic difficulties, then it seems to me that a well-balanced variant of the "locus of control" idea can be a helpful tool, as part of larger effort to help clients use their strengths to work around their difficulties.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 10:34 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
The psychiatrist featured in this video certainly exudes a comfy upper-middle-class vibe. I wouldn't put much faith in her ability to identify a realistic "locus of control" for clients from less-privileged backgrounds.

Also, therapy based on the idea of "locus of control" can be worse than useless for an autistic client if the therapist does not understand autism.

My comment about autism was hidden by this youtuber. That is, I see it but nobody else does. I wouldn't know it was hidden except that I visited while not signed in.