Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2007, 3:56 pm

http://www.wjactv.com/news/13795899/detail.html

Quote:
The teen, identified by police only as Jacob, suffers from autism, a developmental disorder that impairs social interaction.

Monroe County sheriff's detectives said 22-year-old Edward Uyesugi II, a Paoli, Ind., resident and an usher at the Cherry Hill Christian Center, told the boy's family he could cure the teenager of the condition.

"(Uyesugi felt that) the boy could be prayed over and the demons could be cast out of him," Detective Brad Swain said.

The family said Uyesugi made the exorcism attempt in May in a bedroom at their home. Swain said Uyesugi "forced the boy down, punched him in the face several times, put his fingers in the boy's throat, causing him to vomit."

"When the family objected, Uyesugi told them that the vomit was demons being cast out," Swain said.

After the family called the church, which the family also attended, the pastor notified authorities of the incident.

The boy's mother told investigators that after the exorcism attempt, the boy's face was nearly twice its normal size, and his eyes were swelled nearly shut, according to police. She told investigators that Uyesugi had pried the boy's eyelids open when the boy attempted to close them, authorities said.

The church's associate pastor had no comment Tuesday about the case.

In a statement to investigators, Uyesugi denied being the person who initiated the praying. A warrant has been issued for Uyesugi's arrest. He faces charges of confinement and misdemeanor battery with bodily injury.

The suspect and the teen's family no longer attend the Bloomington church.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 4:03 pm

What an ill-educated moron. *shudders*

DIY Exorcisms- pretend to "cure" illnesses by abusing the "posessed"!

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2007, 4:05 pm

it just boggles the mind...

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2007, 5:16 pm

Sheesh, it would seem we're still in the "dark ages" in some ways...! :roll:

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2007, 5:33 pm

that man should be exorcised. the krakou way! a vacum cleaner up where the sun never shines and a high preasure water hose down the throat to ensure that all demons are flushed away. the set now comes in stylish colours and includes a free trial of "the suicide hat" featuring 2 blanks

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 6:28 pm

How awful! I'm glad the pastor called the authorities.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 8:57 pm

I have lived in the Midwest. This is so typical.

imipak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2007, 11:56 pm

If you actually believe in demons and possession, then absolutely no text on the planet advocates such violence. One of the best-known exorcists - the late Malachi Martin - who was interviewed on Art Bell's show many times described the process clearly: A bunch of people get into a room together on the mutual understanding that nobody leaves until whatever conspiracy of silence exists has been broken, and that the entire process is nothing more than a friendly conversation.

He, the late Dr. Scott Peck, and the Vatican all seem pretty much agreed on four other things: that there be provable and verifiable problems that need attending, that thorough investigation yields absolutely no evidence of a psychological, neurological or other medical cause, that one or more side-effects defy any rational explanation, and lastly that the person knowingly and deliberately choose the path of exorcism, having exhausted all other options.

(Even if we think all the above people are nuts, it is important to understand that they believed in what they were doing. I'll explain later why that's such a critical point.)

The Roman Ritual (which is the only method the Vatican authorizes) is said to take about half an hour and largely involves prayers in Latin and the sprinkling of Holy Water. Unless the person is hydrophobic, the total response should be just about nil.

If all the quacks and lunatics in the world want to go around believing in demons and devils, provided they do so according to the above diagnostic criteria (abiding by results they don't like) and one of the two above methods, I honestly can't see it as being particularly harmful to anyone.

But of course they won't. Why? Because they may be quacks and lunatics, but they're not THAT kind of quack or lunatic, or they'd be following the documented and approved standards. Lunatics may seem to make no sense, but internally they make perfect sense. So when you see something that fails to make sense by what they claim is their internal logic, you know that the problem lies not in their minds but in their claims.

This person did not actually believe what he said he believed. Therefore, this was not about removing demons, because he clearly did not approach things in any of the possible ways an actual belief in the subject would have required.

What else could it have been? Easy. A lot of the religions in that geographic area hold exorcists in very high esteem. It's one of the most glorified roles in a lot of these churches. It seems obvious to me that this had far less to do with exorcism as it had to do with a pathetic need to be worshiped and adored by others in his church. No different from trying to get rapid promotions by kissing the boss' boots. You don't have to believe in such conduct, you only have to crave the reward you think you'll get.

Do I believe in exorcism? No, but provided it is rigorously regulated and Constitutional protections are clearly and definitively withdrawn from highly hazardous and abusive practices, I don't see any more harm in it than fortune tellers and weather forecasters.

"But this country was founded on religious freedom!" Well, no it wasn't, but I won't get into that here.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 12:47 pm

Does the family not believe in autism?

I'm glad the pastor called authorities and hopefully whoever gave that man permission to abuse their son can be charged with conspiracy to abuse. If authorities can ever find that moron, hopefully he can convicted to the fullest extent of the law & receive a long stint in prison.

*shudders*

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 5:57 pm

I'm so using this as an excuse for the next fight I get in.

So where did they get the idea that beating someone in the face was part of a rite of exorcism then? What religion is this exorcist supposed to be?

(Link didnt work so i have no idea if that info is in the article)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 6:45 pm

This so-called exorcist was obviously in some sect of Catholicism.
Let's see what they do to him in prison.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 9:27 am

I would have hit him back! Right in the... Um better not get too detailed here...

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 11:53 am

Not all exorcism is Catholic and this particular procedure follows no known protocol. The Cherry Hill Christian Center (they're online) is Apostolic, a Protestant sect that features faith healing. They claim to have a "team" of healers.

As far as faith healing and autism go. It's not that a family doesn't believe their child is autistic, they believe disease, mental illness and some injuries are Demon/Devil-caused. So, if they "believe/pray enough" their child will be "healed".

It's not just religion-crazed people who have this view of autism or illness/injury/malady. There are plenty of pagans, hippies and Yuppies that seek nutty remedies to "cure". It's just that religious people seem to get away with denying real medical care and inflicting abuse because of their "right to religious observance".

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 1:02 pm

That really makes me mad. How horrible! :evil:

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 6:30 am

There was a case like this in Australia, only the woman was said to have had a mental illness and died as the result of her "exorcism" (God knows what they did to her!). Then they spent a couple of days trying to bring her back to life.

Given that it was in the middle of summer and she was made to fast and not drink, it is entirely possible she could even have died of dehydration. This was about 10 years or so ago. I think her husband and some people from the sect they were in were charged with something but basically, they got off very lightly. :x

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon