Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 6:54 pm

beady wrote:
I went to a catholic elementary and it was mostly dreadful.

Since there weren't enough nuns to teach every grade, they had to use some teachers who were not nuns.
Only two of my teachers were kind human beings - one was a nun and one was not. The religious staff were angry, mean, and punitive to many students though they favored others. The priests were either rarely seen or very creepy - even at a young age I didn't feel safe around those men.

That attitude is why my mother's side of the family left the Catholic Church. There's a local family where one of the kids was murdered by a local serial killer and the Church demanded a new mass be paid for every time they found more remains.

The reality here is that it's got little to do with the broad differences between private and public schools in general and far more to do with the people that run them and the families that send their kids there. I had such a horrible time in middle school that my parents offered to send me to a religious school. In the end, I stayed in public school and things did get better. By highschool, I was mostly accepted. (But purely because I got recruited onto the football team and gained a reputation for being rather uncivlized which was a plus on the team, if not so much anywhere else that really smoothed over most of the social parts of high school)

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 7:02 pm

It's a trade-off: better treatment vs. hard discipline and indoctrination, and later incompatible politics into adulthood..

It also creates a "them vs. us" isolationist atmosphere within neighborhoods. You play neighborhood sports with them, but you never date them. They're marginal friends.

This is how it was growing up in Philly in the late 60s and early 70s.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 7:45 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
pfttt.

I could tell you stories. Absolutely hated my time at a religious school. I don't buy the whole currency is good will part. There was no good will in that place. Nor was there any care. My emotional health certainly wasn't doing well.

Your cynicism here and conciseness is actually pretty funny. :lol:

But seriously, I am sorry to hear you had a bad time.

Catholic schools, realistically can be bad places as can any other place.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 11:21 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
I went from a public junior high school to a Catholic high school, and the difference in how I was treated was night and day. Almost everyone in high school was so nice; I never got bullied the way I did in junior high.

OK but what about protestant schools? Are protestants nice?

In a few years I will be sending my daughter to school and I don't want her to be bullied. Does it have to be a Catholic school or can it be any denomination.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 11:27 am

I went to a Catholic Separate school. It was dismal, even without nuns.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 11:28 am

Maeko wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:
Did Catholic school K-12 and almost attended a university run by Jesuits. Wanted to go to the public H.S., but my parents wouldn't have it. Told them not so long ago, they could have just invested the money they wasted for all the good it did.

I always thought the majority of catholic are of english/Irish ancestry for some reason. My experience with discipline in schools was usually to face a wall or talk it out with the principal. If you didn't eat your food at lunch, you got wailed on about wasting. Sit at desk with eyes closed until the teacher proceeded to use power gazes over you until you started to speel every God awful thing under threat response.

Personally mine had a lot of people of Irish, Polish and Italian decent.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 12:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

What does the "separate" in "Catholic Separate" signify?

vipertrait
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2023, 2:31 pm

ive been going to a catholic school since i was 10 - so nearly 7 years - and maybe its just because theyre more common and often government-funded instead of private in my country, but there was really no difference in the way i was treated compared to the non-religious schools ive attended. its interesting how this stuff is different in other countries where catholic schools are more rare.

`·..·‘ ₊˚ ♡

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 3:56 pm

vipertrait wrote:
ive been going to a catholic school since i was 10 - so nearly 7 years - and maybe its just because theyre more common and often government-funded instead of private in my country, but there was really no difference in the way i was treated compared to the non-religious schools ive attended. its interesting how this stuff is different in other countries where catholic schools are more rare.

Whereabouts are you from?

I'm guessing the US?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 5:12 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

A 'Separate School' is a publicly funded religious school, 'separate' from the main public system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_school

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 5:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

A 'Separate School' is a publicly funded religious school, 'separate' from the main public system.

The article starts with "in Canada...". I guess that you are Canadian then?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 5:16 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Oui.

That's why I pretend to be bilingual while really only speaking English. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 5:38 pm

oh my Catholic school ...was a great learning experience,got good schooling , but seemed to be about memorizing stuff. And no one identified that i was clearly on the spectrum...And did get bullied once .... And obvious signs of abuse in very early elementery school was completely overlooked ...... left a impression on a seven year old , especially when,i did know how to express myself . :(

where ever you go ,there you are

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 7:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Oui.

That's why I pretend to be bilingual while really only speaking English. :nerdy:

Haha.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 7:37 pm

Jakki wrote:
oh my Catholic school ...was a great learning experience,got good schooling , but seemed to be about memorizing stuff. And no one identified that i was clearly on the spectrum...And did get bullied once .... And obvious signs of abuse in very early elementery school was completely overlooked ...... left a impression on a seven year old , especially when,i did know how to express myself . :(

I am sorry to hear you were bullied, Jakki. :(