Obsessed watching news - wanna stop - but can't

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2022, 4:38 pm

Ever since this Ucraine-Russia war begun I have been overly obsessed watching and reading the news. I would say maybe every 20 minute if Im awake or so. Just in a few days I know more about war and weapons, Nato etc then I ever would imagine. This war scares me a lot for so many reasons, all the what if's... I hate when people say "we can't do anything about it anyway, live your life" I want to, but I can't. What if something happen to my own country and Im not prepared, the fear, the anxiety, I wish I was indifferent but Im not. I cant even find a safe place on this planet, its just scary all over.

How do you cope with all this?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 5:15 pm

When there is strong anxiety at the root of the thing it can be exceedingly difficult to turn off the flood of 'what if'; finding a method to do so will go a long way toward reducing the probable anxiety which is at least part of what is driving that obsession.

EDIT, here, this might be useful, https://www.taylorwellness.com/working- ... who-worry/

Quote:
So this guide isn’t about stopping What-Ifs. However, you’ll learn how I work with them when they arrive. Working skillfully with What-Ifs helps you decide which ones are worth paying attention to and which ones can be easily ignored.

If you get a case of the What-Ifs sometimes, there’s no need to fear – they really are just thoughts, even though they can feel unpleasant. You’re not broken, and you’re not alone. There’s hope, and this article might be a great place to start if they’ve gotten a little out of control.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 6:53 pm

That's what the off-button is for.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 10:41 pm

A friend of mine posted a meme on Facebook to the effect of 'When you're laughing at WW3 memes and then the sun comes out at 9 PM'.

It's not light stuff and it has a lot of people nervous for a lot of quite valid reasons.

One of the more obnoxious things it points out - we're sharing our fate with idiots. The interview misses this one but Eric Weinstein was in an interview with Peter McCormack recently talking about his desire to launch a mathematical physics theory of everything in hopes that it could get humanity off the planet, and in his terms no longer stuck with the same shared fate. He was pretty explicit with his examples that he didn't want to share the same fate as Donald Trump, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, etc., etc.. and that we have no way not to suffer, possibly even go extinct or hard reset, thanks to idiots and psychopaths.

It's not pleasant content to think about but it's there.

I think what's been helpful for me is that I've thought about it for a long time, spent a lot of time listening to a lot of the Game B thinkers and a lot of the people who talk about x-risk (extinction risk) for a long time, so I intuitively get the whole E. O. Wilson 'paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions, god-like technology' and the increasing number of ways that we could do ourselves in during the next century. Eventually I think that gets you to a place where you understand that you have less to fear from death itself than the things that can go wrong in life, much like if every major city in the US was nuked by warheads coming across the north pole it's an open debate whether I'd rather be downtown and not have a clue what hit me or have to live the rest of my life in the dystopia that came of it.

Ultimately that much isn't in our control for the time being and what we can / can't do pretty much is what it is.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 2:34 am

Join the club. I can't pull myself away from the news, either.