Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 6:19 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Yeah, he'll probably go down in the near future. The thing I wonder about is if he'll be forced out of his seat in a coup, or if he goes down more quietly by being poisoned or something and then the assailants who take his place claiming he died of some health issues or something.

I'm not fussed.
As long as he is gone. 8)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 3:24 pm

There is a nice reward out for him.
https://fortune.com/2022/03/04/putin-bo ... llars/amp/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Want to start a go fund me page with me? :mrgreen:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 8:06 pm

Pepe wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Want to start a go fund me page with me? :mrgreen:

I would but there is only three dollars and a few cents in my bank account.
The bank’s service charge will take that in a day or two.
You can donate to help arm Ukraine here.
https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 9:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tross wrote:
One can only hope. At least the some of the Russian oligarchs are pointing the blame in the right direction. This whole conflict is 100% Putin's fault, and the fewer allies he has going forward, the better.

Putin is going to be hard to take down given he's the biggest mafia boss on planet earth,

I read a piece on some newswebsite (guardian?) by a Russian journalist argueing that the west is mistaking the concept of the Russisn oligarch.
These people are billionaires *because of Putin*. He has power over them, he put them in offices or made them heads of industry.
They're not like American or European oligarchs, who got rich in business first and are using their wealth to lobby for their interests - these guys used to be mobsters and loyal bureaucrats who suddenly got promoted to the board of Gazprom.
In this journalist's line of argumentation, sanctions will hurt the oligarchs, and they'll lose their properties in London and NYC, but only Putin can take away whatever makes them the money they have been spending outside of Russia. The journalist's prognosis on the effectiveness of sanctions on oligarchs were accordingly rather less hopefull.

In that case his empire is built like a house of cards when economic sanctions kick in. In the meantime I have to pay $3/litre for petrol. Nobody escapes.

how do you mean? - the house of cards analogy implies a fragile structure where if one part fails, the whole structure comes down. I read this more as: Putin will be the last tentpole standing, with oligarchs clinging to him while rest has already collapsed - just like North Korea: if the leadership of the military and the leadership of the police are kept fat and happy, Putin can survive while everyone else is starving.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 9:46 pm

shlaifu wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tross wrote:
One can only hope. At least the some of the Russian oligarchs are pointing the blame in the right direction. This whole conflict is 100% Putin's fault, and the fewer allies he has going forward, the better.

Putin is going to be hard to take down given he's the biggest mafia boss on planet earth,

I read a piece on some newswebsite (guardian?) by a Russian journalist argueing that the west is mistaking the concept of the Russisn oligarch.
These people are billionaires *because of Putin*. He has power over them, he put them in offices or made them heads of industry.
They're not like American or European oligarchs, who got rich in business first and are using their wealth to lobby for their interests - these guys used to be mobsters and loyal bureaucrats who suddenly got promoted to the board of Gazprom.
In this journalist's line of argumentation, sanctions will hurt the oligarchs, and they'll lose their properties in London and NYC, but only Putin can take away whatever makes them the money they have been spending outside of Russia. The journalist's prognosis on the effectiveness of sanctions on oligarchs were accordingly rather less hopefull.

In that case his empire is built like a house of cards when economic sanctions kick in. In the meantime I have to pay $3/litre for petrol. Nobody escapes.

how do you mean? - the house of cards analogy implies a fragile structure where if one part fails, the whole structure comes down. I read this more as: Putin will be the last tentpole standing, with oligarchs clinging to him while rest has already collapsed - just like North Korea: if the leadership of the military and the leadership of the police are kept fat and happy, Putin can survive while everyone else is starving.

I should prefaced my statement by saying "if this was true". I don't personally think Putin's hold on power is that fragile. For example the west has been trying to destabilise North Korea and Cuba for 70 years. They are still run by the same people. Putin might be dislodged but I doubt there's going to be another Glasnost if he is.