Baby boomers more sensitive than millennials - study on narc

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:00 am

Baby boomers are more sensitive than millennials, according to the largest-ever study on narcissism

Quote:
- A new study, the largest-ever conducted narcissism, looked specifically at hypersensitivity, a trait that helps determine how narcissistic people are.

- Its findings suggests that, contrary to popular belief, millennials aren’t more sensitive than the baby boomer generation. In fact, it’s the other way around.

- Generally speaking, as individuals in the study got older, they became less sensitive and the researchers found hypersensitivity sharply declined after a person turned 40.

- But when the researchers looked at generation-specific trends, they noticed that overall, older generations were more sensitive than younger generations.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:04 am

↑ You are citing an article from a website selling new and used cars.

Have I got a deal for you!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:06 am

So long story short, the BB's get all hyper defensive about their generation when they're criticized for being out of touch with modern problems today that they never had to deal with so they tell millennials to suck it up.

Am I right or am I right?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 11:07 am

^^ The car sales site links sciencedaily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 111655.htm

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:12 am

magz wrote:
^ The car sales site links sciencedaily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 111655.htm
Science Daily is an American website launched in 1995 that aggregates press releases and publishes lightly-edited press releases (a practice called churnalism) about science -- it is not a peer-review publishing site.

The mere fact that a website has "science" in its name does not make it a scientific website.

A "study" merely compares data sets to support the opinions of the writers; in this case, the writers were people who were college students in 2019 -- (surprise!) Millennials.

Can you say "Millennial Propaganda"?

I am sure you can!

Last edited by Fnord on 14 Mar 2022, 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 11:14 am

And sciencedaily always publishes the reference to the original peer-reviewed paper.
In this case, this: https://doi.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fpag0000379

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:18 am

magz wrote:
And sciencedaily always publishes the reference to the original peer-reviewed paper.
In this case, this: https://doi.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fpag0000379
Always consider the original source; in this case, it was Millennials.  So, of course they would conclude in their favor.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:18 am

It's stupid to make generalizations based upon what "generation" a person is in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's stupid to make generalizations based upon what "generation" a person is in.
I agree; however, when a micro-group concludes from a statistical study that their macro-group is better than another macro-group, it is fair to suspect the alleged objectivity of the micro-group.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- Attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 11:24 am

I'd like to point out that the main trend observed by the research is that narcissistic traits decrease with age.
It does not claim that Boomers now are more narcissistic than Millenials now.
It claims that average 13yo Boomers were more self-absorbed than average 13yo Gen-Xers (Millenials have not been included in the study, as data on them is still being gathered). But all become less self-absorbed with age.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 11:27 am

magz wrote:
I'd like to point out that the main trend observed by the research is that narcissistic traits decrease with age.  It does not claim that Boomers now are more narcissistic than Millenials now.  It claims that average 13yo Boomers were more self-absorbed than average 13yo Gen-Xers (Millenials have not been included in the study, as data on them is still being gathered).
Again, we are talking about a statistical study, not an empirical research paper.

Statistics are easily manipulated to favor the opinions of the study leaders.

Studies do not have the rigorous standards of research.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 11:38 am

Exceuse me?
Statistical analysis is how you can see Higgs boson in the mess created by collisions in LHC. It's how you can get gas mechanics out of movements of atoms. It's how you check weather your measured anomaly is just a random fluctuation or a newly discovered phenomenon.

The fact that statistics can be misapplied and misused, both intentionally and not, does not make it invalid.
By all means such analyses should be thoroughly critiqued. However, there is a whole world between "limited" and "invalid".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 12:21 pm

magz wrote:
. . . Statistical analysis is how you can see Higgs boson in the mess created by collisions in LHC.  It's how you can get gas mechanics out of movements of atoms.  It's how you check weather your measured anomaly is just a random fluctuation or a newly discovered phenomenon. . .
These are measurable physical phenomena, not emotional issues.  The study in question does not focus on objective observations, but on subjective feelings.

How do you measure anger?  How do you quantify love?  Is depression a scalar or a vector quantity?

There is also the possibility that Boomers are/were simply more capable of recognizing and expressing their own feelings than Millennials.  I mean, back in the day (before commercial Internet service providers emerged in 1989), we did not have any Internet-based social platforms telling us what to think and how we should feel about it; we made up our own minds and occasionally changed our minds when confronted with new and valid evidence.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Mar 2022, 12:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
How do you measure anger?  How do you quantify love?  Is depression a scalar or a vector quantity?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_psychology

Anyway, you seem offended by the study. It's statistics and one can always be an outlier. In any direction.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 12:37 pm

I like the way people are put into generational blocks as if they are different species.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 12:39 pm

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_psychology
Does not answer my questions; but only emphasizes the statistical nature of "soft sciences" like psychology.

There is no description of how these "quantitative tools" are applied, but only when.  This is like saying "I drive my car when I need something from the store" without ever describing how a car is driven.  The article lacks methodology.

As much as I respect your moderatorial authority, Magz, and as much as I respect the overall quality of Wikipedia, it is important to actually read the articles therein, follow up on the references given, and not just post a link in response to a question.