Baby boomers more sensitive than millennials - study on narc

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

14 Mar 2022, 12:47 pm

magz wrote:
. . . Anyway, you seem offended by the study. . .
It is irritating when a mere study (any study) is given the same level of consideration as a scientific discovery.  One may as well perform a random survey of people exiting the local pub -- "What is your age and how sensitive are you?" -- and call it "Science".



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,859
Location: Poland

14 Mar 2022, 12:50 pm

Lol, I'm not moderating right now, merely discussing.
You don't have scientific discoveries in psychology because psychology is not a science. Some branches just use some tools common with science.
Is it invalid because of it? I wouldn't say so.
Philosophy is not a science. Art is not a science. Living one's life is not a science :flower: But it's interesting :)


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,937

14 Mar 2022, 12:54 pm

I won't agree with the article, but people who use snowflake as an insult are some of the touchiest I've ever met.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

14 Mar 2022, 12:56 pm

magz wrote:
Lol, I'm not moderating right now, merely discussing.  You don't have scientific discoveries in psychology because psychology is not a science.  Some branches just use some tools common with science.  Is it invalid because of it?  I wouldn't say so.  Philosophy is not a science. Art is not a science. Living one's life is not a science.  But it's interesting.
So because those subjects are not sciences, there is no reason to expect as much validity in the conclusions of their "studies" as there is inherent in the discoveries of scientific experiments.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,625

14 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm



Modern 'Virtual Reality Life' is Changing

Humankind Faster Than the So-called Science
of It Can Keep Up With; and of Course Our Subjective

Inner Lives Are Difficult to Measure And Even Understand

For Many Owners of Inner Lives, Including All Our Feeling,
Sensing, Emotional Experiences in Day-to-Day Life; 'This Study'

That Suggests That Boomers are More Sensitive to Criticism than
Millennials Admits Its Great limitations And only Provides a Glint of

Hope that So-called
Millennials Will Later

Become Less, Of A So-Called,
Narcissistic Generation Now
Than Generally Assessed as Is;

Yet, One Thing For Sure is, We Can No
Longer Predict What Happens Today Reliably
on What Happened Three Decades Ago Before

A Virtual Reality Online Became the Reality of Humankind,
it is Now; Science Already Suggests that Human Attention Spans

Are Reduced to Less than that of a Gold Fish; Yes, Less Than 3 Seconds;

And Levels of Empirically Measured Empathy that is Yes Subjectively Reported
Continue to Decrease As One Would Expect As We Humans Generally Speaking

Are Living A Life More Enhanced With Mechanical Cognition Activities in Systemizing
Ways Than Face to Face Flesh and Blood Interaction That Provides a Greatest Increase in

Enhancing
Social Empathic
Cognition; of Course
That Part of it Has Already
Been Studied Under the Direction
of Scientist 'Simon Baron Cohen' in his

(AQ) Autism Quotient Scan that Relates Deficits
in Social Empathic Human Intelligence As Associated
With the Condition of Autism; Live in a Systemizing Science

World of 'Things'

More than People
and Become What
We Use in Life Most or Not...

A Great Benefit of 'this Site' is even
if only "I am Right" And "You are Wrong"
is Discussed it's More Than A Video Game

That Doesn't
Interact

With

Humankind At All...

Yawn, i Enter 'The Human
Part' of the Equation into my
Input here; Not Surprised there
Are Few Replies Yet of course Room to 'Learn'

And
Even
Change
as My AQ Test
Score is 11 Now
Versus the 45 it was
When i First Came here in 2010...

Yet What it Took to Change that
in Terms of my Humanity Took me Places Far Away From here....

Social-Empathic Intelligence is Malleable Like Most Other Human
Potentials
Expressed

Or Not,
Depending
on How one
Faces And Accommodates
Life Challenges; in my Experience,

Globally, in Many Avenues of Life;

i Find Older Generations With More
Attention Span And ability for More
Open Minded Ways of Seeing the World;

Yet That Depends on What Environment i am in.

In Some Cases, The Effective Results are Totally Opposite...

Anyway, The Study at Hand in Question, Definitely Already Admits its Limitations...



_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,501
Location: Stendec

14 Mar 2022, 1:06 pm

HighLlama wrote:
I won't agree with the article, but people who use snowflake as an insult are some of the touchiest I've ever met.
A "snowflake is only a very sensitive person -- someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.

There used to be members of this website for whom even the mention of the word "snowflake" seemed to trigger a series of long, incoherent, and ranting posts.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 82,618
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Mar 2022, 1:23 pm

My view is that the results of social science studies, within WrongPlanet, are frequently overly relied upon as a sort of "guide to life," and a guide to how much potential a person has because one, say, has an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

When social science studies are used to catalogue a "trend," then I find them more acceptable.

But as a basis for judging individual persons and their overall "fate," I find social science studies to be quite wanting.



Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,808

14 Mar 2022, 1:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
I won't agree with the article, but people who use snowflake as an insult are some of the touchiest I've ever met.
A "snowflake is only a very sensitive person -- someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.

There used to be members of this website for whom even the mention of the word "snowflake" seemed to trigger a series of long, incoherent, and ranting posts.



I can only imagine what that must have been like.



Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 14 Mar 2022, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,859
Location: Poland

14 Mar 2022, 1:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My view is that the results of social science studies, within WrongPlanet, are frequently overly relied upon as a sort of "guide to life," and a guide to how much potential a person has because one, say, has an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

When social science studies are used to catalogue a "trend," then I find them more acceptable.

But as a basis for judging individual persons and their overall "fate," I find social science studies to be quite wanting.
That are indeed are serious and, unfortunately, common misuses of social science studies.

It's interesting to see trends and wonder what factors may contribute to them - but broad trends should never be applied to individuals!

Outside of psychology, I find e.g. BMI often misused in that way. This index should not be used for other purposes than obesity in a population statistics. Yet it commonly is.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 37
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 16,970
Location: I'm right here

14 Mar 2022, 2:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But as a basis for judging individual persons and their overall "fate," I find social science studies to be quite wanting.


Definitely. Broad trends are only that, broad trends. There's a tendency here for a lot of people to draw larger conclusions from things that can actually be drawn, disagree with their own flawed interpretation and then get worked up debunking that strawman take which was never really claimed to begin with.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,047
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

14 Mar 2022, 8:31 pm

If there were a way to measure it, I would not be surprised if it were found that Gen-X members were less self-absorbed than Boomers, especially older Boomers. Not necessarily based on the results of that study.


_________________
My WP story


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,316
Location: Missouri

14 Mar 2022, 9:02 pm

This interview in that paragon of scientific literature, the Lad Bible, has some interesting points,
https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-stud ... s-20210604

Quote:
However, overall older generations found to be more sensitive than their younger counterparts.

The study's co-author William Chopik, associate professor at Michigan State University, said: "There's a narrative in our culture that generations are getting more and more narcissistic, but no one has ever looked at it throughout generations or how it varies with age at the same time."

Chopik said baby boomers, or 'individuals who were born earlier in the century', started off with 'higher levels of hypersensitivity, or the type of narcissism where people are full of themselves, as well as willfulness, which is the tendency to impose opinions on others."

He said: "There isn't much data on older generations, but now that baby boomers are ageing into that phase of life, it's a huge part of the population that we need to be looking at."

Chopik also hypothetisised that baby boomers may be more narcissistic than other generations because they 'grew up in a time when the government provided privileges like social security'.

Researchers found that behaviour tends to decline as we move through life, and as we come across certain milestones.

Chopik continued: "There are things that happen in life that can shake people a little bit and force them to adapt their narcissistic qualities.

"As you age, you form new relationships, have new experiences, start a family and so on. All of these factors make someone realise that it's not 'all about them.'

"And, the older you get, the more you think about the world that you may leave behind.

"There's a sense in which narcissists start to realise that being the way they are isn't smart if they want to have friends or meaningful relationships."


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011