Is discrimination okay if against whites???

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 7:20 pm

I have a cousin on Facebook...

I'm currently facing bad discrimination because of autism... And it's bad, the apartment complex wants me outta here .

She posts usually great stuff... But one of her posts said "the only group of people I'm afraid of are straight white middle-aged males"

She explained it was meant to be a political statement about how people in gov. make laws against women's bodies... But I had to point out that if the phrase had anything but "white, straight" in it I'd be flagged by FB, etc...

Others on her timeline got offended too... Because our family is white, it made some of our family mad ...

I'd like it explained why this isn't discrimination???

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 7:28 pm

I'm not sure it's discrimination to point out that most of the people who write and pass discriminatory laws all fall into one demographic.

For starters that observation doesn't prevent anyone from doing anything.
Secondly, is it untrue or just likely to provoke butthurt from people who vote to enable discriminatory laws to be passed?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 7:29 pm

That statement is prejudiced. It would be discrimination if acted upon. For example she does not rent the apartment to you because you are a straight white male.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 7:33 pm

I'm literally having people say to me they're afraid to be in the same room as me because autistics are violent when having meltdowns....

I'm getting angry at people saying anything like that toward anyone, unless the person had proved to be violent, hence why the middle aged while males in my family are saying something.

Plus the post didn't mention lawmakers at all, that part had to be inferred, it just said she was afraid to be in the room with that demographic.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 12:11 pm

I didn't know you were middle aged, I thought you were younger than me for some reason.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I didn't know you were middle aged, I thought you were younger than me for some reason.

No... I'm not a middle aged white male... But I'm wondering why this statement is acceptable when any statement against any other group is not to the left...

I'm politically in the middle, and I can't stand hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:20 pm

It’s not okay to discriminate against white folks.

But don’t go down that rabbit hole where it is said that white folks are discriminated against more than “minorities.”

And don’t listen to those who say the white population is declining because of some sort of “white genocide.l

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:48 pm

It's a question I'm always wanting to ask but scared to because the mods just take it down. :roll:

I see non-white people on Facebook posting stereotypical things about white people and nobody bats an eye. But if it were the other way around it will be taken down immediately and you'd be put in "Facebook jail".

It's not fair. Why are white people treated like we're privileged? I hate it. Black people are no different to white people, we're all equally just people. That's the way I see it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 7:05 pm

People fearing a majority is not discrimination because it holds no power. While a woman fearing men in general is misandry, her fear of men holds no power against them so this is socially acceptable which is why no one bats an eye about it and while people just shrug it off.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 7:42 pm

Angnix wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

No... I'm not a middle aged white male... But I'm wondering why this statement is acceptable when any statement against any other group is not to the left...

I'm politically in the middle, and I can't stand hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle...

It isn't, objectively.
Political buggery makes it OK to discriminate against *some* groups. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 7:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It's a question I'm always wanting to ask but scared to because the mods just take it down. :roll:

I see non-white people on Facebook posting stereotypical things about white people and nobody bats an eye. But if it were the other way around it will be taken down immediately and you'd be put in "Facebook jail".

It's not fair.
Why are white people treated like we're privileged? I hate it. Black people are no different to white people, we're all equally just people. That's the way I see it.

"Life is not meant to be fair."
If it were, I'd be with Claudia Schiffer right now. :mrgreen:

Agreed.
These double standards are mesmerising.
And yet, no one does anything/k about it because of ugly social politics.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 10:25 pm

Pepe wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

It's not fair.
Why are white people treated like we're privileged? I hate it. Black people are no different to white people, we're all equally just people. That's the way I see it.

"Life is not meant to be fair."
If it were, I'd be with Claudia Schiffer right now. :mrgreen:

Agreed.
These double standards are mesmerising.
And yet, no one does anything/k about it because of ugly social politics.

I was invited by a friend who works at the theatre to see the premiere of a defensive play by some 'cancelled' new york playwright.
The whole play was leading up a finale in which a woman admits to having had a man killed not because he had been abusive, as she had told her confidantes before,but really because he had rejected her. The audience was supposed to root for her throughput the play and consider the murder justified, and then question whether we really should 'believe all women'.
My feminist friend was pretty angry after the play and I said what I still think is right: that a blanket statement like 'believe all women' is dangerous. To my surprise, she agreed, but added: it is however necessary, for a while, to break with the tradition of dismissing all women.
We both then were unable to determine a point at which that should stop and balance out, but I admit that as an intervention, a radically onesided view of things is at least a possible solution.

So yeah, I think making it the default to distrust white men is certainly going to lead to unjustified incarcerations, ostracism, financial harm etc. - but that has been the default for everyone but white men for quite a while, and legislation to just stop discrimination hasn't worked. I don't know a good way either, but at least my friend made me understand how this could possibly make sense. (it should also be noted that she works in a highly male dominated and sexist field, whereas I work in a male dominated field that isn't so much sexist, but women are just absent.... At least, no one's getting harrassed in my area, if only for lack of opportunity, but I admit of having little experience or observations of workplace harrassment through that).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 2:04 am

From what I've heard, discrimination against whites is impossible.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 2:55 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
From what I've heard, discrimination against whites is impossible.

Hoo the hell would think otherwise? :scratch: <joke>

Whites can be on the receiving end of racism, also.
That is self-evident.

The problem is that in a place like Ammuuuria, racism against minority groups is still a significant problem in some areas of the country.

Ammuuuria's history of black abuse is hair-raising.
But that doesn't mean the concept of "Collective Guilt" is valid. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 1:50 am

To be sure, we white men aren't denied jobs due to our color or gender, our voting rights aren't in danger, we don't get sent to jail more often than other groups, and we aren't targeted by law enforcement. Those who scream about discrimination against white males are reactionaries more interested in keeping other groups, who genuinely face discrimination, from being accepted as equals in American society.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:57 am

Some claim that *affirmative action* is *reverse discrimination*

Based on your description, it seems to me like, your cousin had zero authority in the situation of her Facebook post. While the statement might have been prejudiced or overgeneralizing or racist or sexist, it is not *discrimination* per se

Freedom of speech versus Facebook policy

Pattern recognition versus overgeneralization

Your cousin posted that she is "afraid of" "straight white middle aged males"

*Fear* is sometimes natural, involuntary, subconscious or justified

Everyone has subconscious biases