Why SHOULD you have a child sooner rather than later ?

Page 2 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 8:26 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sperm quality deteriorates after 40, it is a myth that only women have a biology clock; men have it too, the older the man the more likely he may have a kid with defects.

Also, the bigger age gap between you and your first child, the more unfair for your kid because you would lack energy.

For me, it is too late.

Do they do studies on this though? Or how do they know? For example, the only way to tell if sperm has a defects after 40 would be to do studies on parent couples where the guys are in their 40s and the women are in their 20s or early 30s tops. But have they done such studies?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 9:57 pm

ironpony wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sperm quality deteriorates after 40, it is a myth that only women have a biology clock; men have it too, the older the man the more likely he may have a kid with defects.

Also, the bigger age gap between you and your first child, the more unfair for your kid because you would lack energy.

For me, it is too late.

Do they do studies on this though? Or how do they know? For example, the only way to tell if sperm has a defects after 40 would be to do studies on parent couples where the guys are in their 40s and the women are in their 20s or early 30s tops. But have they done such studies?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 5%20points.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:27 pm

Okay thanks, that's an interesting article. So if they have a market for fertility drugs to help women have children over 40, is there anything men can do to help their sperm biological clock as well, after 40?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:40 pm

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks, that's an interesting article. So if they have a market for fertility drugs to help women have children over 40, is there anything men can do to help their sperm biological clock as well, after 40?

having good quality genes in the first place is the only real thing that might help. no amount of clean living will improve one's genetic quality, only how they express themselves in your own body but not really your sperm as much.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:58 pm

Oh okay thanks, this is interesting. This gets me thinking in the show Breaking Bad, when the writers chose to write the character of Walt Jr., having cerebral palsy, did they write the character this way partially because the parents were over 40, or did that not have anything to do with it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 11:14 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay thanks, this is interesting. This gets me thinking in the show Breaking Bad, when the writers chose to write the character of Walt Jr., having cerebral palsy, did they write the character this way partially because the parents were over 40, or did that not have anything to do with it?

having never seen the program, can't say, but i somehow doubt that the character had that much of an implied or intended back story.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 12:04 am

Reasons not to have kids:

-Too expensive

-Too many things you need to accomplish before even thinking of having kids (finishing school, getting a place to live, getting a career, finding a suitable partner, etc. etc.)

-Bad genes in the family (cancer, heart disease, Type 1 diabetes, Huntington's disease, mental illness, alcoholism, etc. etc.)

.-Grew up with abusive and/or neglectful parents and could do the same with your own kids

-Living in a crapsack world with about a million global disasters happening or on the verge of happening right now, especially covid, climate change and WW3.

-Kids are not always cute or lovable. In fact they can often be really gross, loud, obnoxious, rude, creepy, cruel, selfish, and carriers/spreaders of many diseases. Are you prepared to wash bed sheets and clothes at 3AM when your kid is puking all night long from stomach flu? Are you ready to endure the cringe when your kid says something like "Hey lady your breath really stinks and you have boogies in your nose!" to someone they just met? And the inevitable screaming, whining and copious amounts of bodily fluids when you take them shopping with you and they see something they want but can't have? How about when they have no problem eating yellow snow or their own boogers but when they see a vegetable on their plate they go "EEEWWWWW GROSSSS I'LL BARF IF I EAT THAAAAAAAAT!! !"

-And then they become *shudder* teenagers!! 8O

-You're just not ready.

-You just don't want to, why need a reason at all? When you're 90 years old and someone says "Aren't you sorry you never had kids and have to be completely all alone?", tell them "Nahhh in fact I wish *you'd* leave me alone because you're such a pain in the butt." :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 12:31 am

i think i can agree with that at least in part.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 5:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
ironpony wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

For me, it is too late.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 5%20points.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/well ... thers.html

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 5:20 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Kids are not always cute or lovable. In fact they can often be really gross, loud, obnoxious, rude, creepy, cruel, selfish, and carriers/spreaders of many diseases.

They're kind of like adults you can forgive :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2022, 5:21 am

^^NYT paywall, but it has been known for a while that old sperm has a high defect rate.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 2:01 am

That's interesting. Do you think that in school they teach teenagers about how important it is to have kids early on, and how important biological clocks are, since a lot of today's generation seems to be ignoring it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 3:29 am

ironpony wrote:
That's interesting. Do you think that in school they teach teenagers about how important it is to have kids early on, and how important biological clocks are, since a lot of today's generation seems to be ignoring it?

most amuuurican schools, esp. those in the bible belt, will not do this. they prefer to say "just don't go there."

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 8:36 pm

Why not though? What's the harm in telling people to start families sooner, rather than have them go through "hoe phases"? like so many are doing now until they reach their 30s for some reason?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 1:59 am

in a country that had actual brains, i'd say that what you say makes sense. but in case you didn't notice, good sense is unfashionable now south of your border.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 2:04 am

Well it seems like this issue may be the same above our border here as well, as no schools are teaching that, and lots of women I know are only now starting to take the idea of having a family seriously, once they hit their mid 30s or later. However, are guys like this as well, or do they more often want to sooner, but hard to find a woman that wants to sooner?