Former Australian prime-minister predicts Taiwan invasion

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 4:08 pm

Former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has raised the alarm over the prospect of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan.
According to Mr Rudd, few in the West realise the extent to which Chinese leader Xi Jinping is eyeing a return of Taiwan to mainland control.

“It’s right up there next to Xi Jinping‘s desire for the party to remain in power and for him to be the predominant leader within the Communist Party of China,” Mr Rudd told ABC’s 7:30 on Wednesday.

Mr Rudd said the only two things preventing an invasion of Taiwan by China are questions of militaristic dominance and avoiding similar sanctions, as have been imposed on Russia following the invasion of Ukraine.
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 9802eb59af

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 4:19 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if Xi actually values reunification above either of those other things Rudd lists.

The thing is, it seems unlikely to be something China can just impose even if they attempt an invasion. Taiwanese nationalism will explode if there's an attempt to use force; I'd expect even the KMT to explicitly reject One China if the PRC were to attempt that approach.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if Xi actually values reunification above either of those other things Rudd lists.

The thing is, it seems unlikely to be something China can just impose even if they attempt an invasion. Taiwanese nationalism will explode if there's an attempt to use force; I'd expect even the KMT to explicitly reject One China if the PRC were to attempt that approach.

Yes there is the ethnic element. Taiwanese are partly descended from indigenous tribes related to the indigenous Jomon/Ainu people of Japan.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:19 pm

I expected a invasion of Taiwan to be concurrent with a Russian invasion of Ukraine and possible a North Korean attack.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I expected a invasion of Taiwan to be concurrent with a Russian invasion of Ukraine and possible a North Korean attack.

I don't know about North Korea but Taiwan has been under war footing for quite some time.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 1:36 am

Yes. As I understand it Putin and Xi had a summit and "agreed to recognize each others territorial claims". Shortly after that Putin invaded Ukraine. So to me that sends the message that Xi supports that landgrab, and expects Putin to support him seizing Taiwan.

North Korea isnt really in on this partnership. So thats another can of worms.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 3:50 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes. As I understand it Putin and Xi had a summit and "agreed to recognize each others territorial claims". Shortly after that Putin invaded Ukraine. So to me that sends the message that Xi supports that landgrab, and expects Putin to support him seizing Taiwan. .

Then Taiwan is ripe for the picking

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 7:25 am

And the world will not be able to punish and sanction China as it did with Russia.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 9:55 pm

Chinese military encroaching very very close to northern Australia's borders
https://www.9news.com.au/national/china ... 78f53daede

A so called red line has been crossed and now Australia has a choice to make.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 10:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I don't know about North Korea but Taiwan has been under war footing for quite some time.

Why would xi attack Nth Korea?
He has so few friends as it is. :lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 10:14 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
And the world will not be able to punish and sanction China as it did with Russia.

I disagree, my beluved.
While China has been working towards economic independence, it still depends greatly on world consumers.
I think economic sanctions are a major concern/deterrent for the CCP.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 2:07 am

Back to serious news

Australia is talking about invading the Solomon islands
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 4fc7f8f38f

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 2:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Back to serious news

Australia is talking about invading the Solomon islands
https://www.news.com.au/technology/inno ... 4fc7f8f38f

I don't have any kids.
Not my problem. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 2:32 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Sherlock...he obviously means an attack BY North Korea. Not an attack ON North Korea.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 4:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Sherlock...he obviously means an attack BY North Korea. Not an attack ON North Korea.

The statement was ambiguous.
*That* was the joke, Einstein. 8)

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 4:39 am

Pepe wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I disagree, my beluved.
While China has been working towards economic independence, it still depends greatly on world consumers.
I think economic sanctions are a major concern/deterrent for the CCP.

This is very reasonable.

The CCP has recently responded to propaganda about forced Uyghur labor 1 in the Western world. This reaction outweighed the response to general publicity, which affected textile exports in the form of economic sanctions.
China's economy has benefited a lot from globalization.
1 As a minority, I think this is ridiculous. If they really care about Chinese human rights, they should pay attention to China's labor laws.

Although I have many political differences with the Chinese government, I have to admit:
China and the Chinese will be seriously threatened by economic sanctions.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.