Australian Megachurch founder quits amid sex scandal probe.

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 5:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
But his efforts to dissociate himself from Hillsong are profoundly at odds with his enthusiastic support for Houston and Hillsong in recent years. For example, as recently as last year, Morrison publicly acknowledged the spiritual influence of Houston on his life, and in his maiden speech to parliament credited him with the pastoral work that helped guide his faith at an early age.]

Morrison is a slippery eel. But then again Trump openly lied nearly every day continuously for 4 years so the precedence is well and truly set.

Agreed.
Politicians are professional liars.
It is part of their job requirement.

cyberdad wrote:
On the topic of Houston, christianity permits forgiveness and if Houston openly repents (AKA Jimmy Swaggert) then I think Hillsong will remain. Hate the sin not the sinner formula has worked fairly well for evangalicals in the US who have fallen off the wagon.

A river of tears, a la Swaggert, should wash away the sins. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 5:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
meanwhile it looks like Morrison won't be able to quietly sweep this one under the carpet
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 1ccb341b95

I wonder if Morrison will give the leadership to someone else if he loses the election.

Who is in line?

I'm guessing Dutton would be.

eek!

He isn't as pretty as Gillard, admittedly. :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 5:34 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The ministry tends to attract more sociopaths than virtually any other profession. That's not to say there aren't many men and women of the cloth dedicated to the Word.
What better way to conceal one's sociopathy than behind a mask of piety?

Indeed.

Sanctimony and self-righteousness is usually a "red flag". ;)

Sanctimony? I was simply agreeing.
I do concede I have a great disdain for politically active evangelical clergy, though.

I was referring to evangelists.
You aren't sanctimonious...
...Simply mislead. :mrgreen:

Okay, sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 5:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Okay, sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Don't worry about it. :wink:
I'm used to it from you, my friend. <joke> :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 7:40 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
meanwhile it looks like Morrison won't be able to quietly sweep this one under the carpet
https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... 1ccb341b95

I wonder if Morrison will give the leadership to someone else if he loses the election.

Who is in line?

I'm guessing Dutton would be.

eek!

He isn't as pretty as Gillard, admittedly. :mrgreen:

My concern with Dutton is he's a hawk militarily and might do something silly like order the Australian navy fire on Chinese ships
https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/c ... 692870732e

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 8:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
My concern with Dutton is he's a hawk militarily and might do something silly like order the Australian navy fire on Chinese ships

I can't believe you said that.
"Calling out" is not the same as a kinetic attack.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 9:22 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I can't believe you said that.
"Calling out" is not the same as a kinetic attack.

I can't find the link but he's commented somewhere that he's keen on invading Solomon islands. But yes, saying something while you are a minister and actually doing it when you are prime minister is another thing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 3:56 pm

HILLSONG programming set to depart from FOXTEL platform after recent scandal.

Foxtel has confirmed the religious broadcast channel Hillsong will soon be rebranded in a move that will see most of the existing programming replaced.  From April 28, the Hillsong channel which is managed by the Trinity Broadcasting Network will move to the new name of ‘TBN Inspire’.

The TBN Inspire channel will continue to feature much of TBN’s existing faith-based Christian content in their current timeslots on Channel 183.

However, Hillsong content on the channel will be replaced with similar Christian content.

Read the Full Article
 HERE 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 5:09 pm

I gotta say, the preacher's wife looks like a "good christian" and very wholesome

Hubba hubba

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 4:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
On the topic of Houston, christianity permits forgiveness and if Houston openly repents (AKA Jimmy Swaggert) then I think Hillsong will remain. Hate the sin not the sinner formula has worked fairly well for evangalicals in the US who have fallen off the wagon.

Hillsong is a huge church, with congregations all over Australia and the world. I'm sure it'll survive the transgressions of Houstons senior and junior. But please not a Jimmy Swaggart apology. :cry: :cry: :cry:

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 5:24 am

Murihiku wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Hillsong is a huge church, with congregations all over Australia and the world. I'm sure it'll survive the transgressions of Houstons senior and junior. But please not a Jimmy Swaggart apology. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah that's what I think. They are too popular, especially among younger christians

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 8:01 am

cyberdad wrote:
Murihiku wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
On the topic of Houston, Christianity permits forgiveness and if Houston openly repents (AKA Jimmy Swaggert) then I think Hillsong will remain.  Hate the sin not the sinner formula has worked fairly well for evangalicals in the US who have fallen off the wagon.
Hillsong is a huge church, with congregations all over Australia and the world.  I'm sure it'll survive the transgressions of Houstons senior and junior. But please not a Jimmy Swaggart apology.
Yeah that's what I think. They are too popular, especially among younger Christians
Hillsong will likely continue, but not on such a grand scale as before.