Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:43 pm

im so proud of my 16y/o son,.while i thought he was going to descend into drugs and all that he is actually chosen a different path what im proud of

he has his heart set on being a vet and he is studying at college and now has a part time job in a pet shop sweeping the floor and cleaning which is good for a teenager starting out

hopefully this will be the start of a career for him

im so proud of him :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 10:07 pm

I congratulate you and him for a job well done :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 2:13 am

It is the best feeling in the world to see our kids make wise choices and progress towards a future we think will be good for them. There will always be fits and starts, set backs and leaps forward, but hold onto the knowledge he's on the path. Very happy to see your post.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 12:27 pm

Caz72 wrote:
im so proud of my 16y/o son,.while i thought he was going to descend into drugs and all that he is actually chosen a different path what im proud of

he has his heart set on being a vet and he is studying at college and now has a part time job in a pet shop sweeping the floor and cleaning which is good for a teenager starting out

hopefully this will be the start of a career for him

im so proud of him :)

That's fab. You have a right to be proud.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 3:36 pm

Congrats! I would be SO HAPPY if my son could get a job in a pet store - with actual pets (not one of those "stuff for pets but no pets" pet stores).

DS21 is looking for any job with animals involved, while working part time at a warehouse for Amazon.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2022, 8:51 pm

Congratulations!! ! In good time... :heart:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 4:51 pm

Congratulations. A job in a pet store is perfect for an aspie. You get to play with puppies and kittens; how cool is that! And the customers there tend to be low-key and respectful, unlike customers in clothing stores or supermarkets. In the end, the odds of a sensory or emotional overload are pretty low. The only downside is that young puppies just got their teeth and want to practice using them, so like to nip every hand that gets near them. They don't do it to be aggressive, but those teeth are sharp. Tell your son to stick to kittens or older puppies if he can't tolerate the nipping.

Fenn wrote:
Congrats! I would be SO HAPPY if my son could get a job in a pet store - with actual pets (not one of those "stuff for pets but no pets" pet stores).
Most states no longer allow such stores, per the adage "adopt, don't buy". The OP probably lives in a place that does allow them.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 5:34 am

the pet store just as small animals like rabbits and mice and rats

he is only a general retail assistant at the moment sweeping floors and stacking shelves

and my son is not an aspie

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 5:48 am

Caz72 wrote:

he is only a general retail assistant at the moment sweeping floors and stacking shelves

Caged rodents are still fun, although they don't react to you like puppies and kittens do. What matters is that your son found a comfortable, low-stress job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 6:22 am

Especially for someone who wants to be a veterinarian.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 8:56 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Caz72 wrote:

Caged rodents are still fun, although they don't react to you like puppies and kittens do. What matters is that your son found a comfortable, low-stress job.

I have 4 pet rats and they are as intelligent and social as a dog or a cat. Go on YouTube and type in pet rats, you'll be surprised.