What to expect during a job interview?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 5:28 pm

I have started applying for jobs, but I realized that if anyone considers hiring me that I'm going to have to go through a job interview, and that I have no idea what to expect. I'm very nervous about it and I don't really know how to prepare for it.

I'm not great at interacting with new people and handling new situations, and I'm especially worried that if I'm unprepared that I'm not going to be able to mask my ASD, and no one will want to hire me.

I've asked my dad and aunt what to expect, but they don't get my concerns and just keep telling me I'll "do fine" which is unhelpful.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 7:59 pm

youtube and google what to expect in job interview for a start

you'll do better if you view it as a learning experience than pass or fail

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 8:02 am

It helped me when I began seeking jobs to have somebody else (a sibling in this case) role play interview situations and to ask all the standard questions.

It helped to give me confidence and also I learned good standard replies like lines in a play. (scripting!).

I began to understand that what employers want is somebody who is reliable, who understands the job and can perform what is required with a minimum of fuss or problems from their end.

I began to try to emphasize my trainability, my reliability, my willingness to do a bit extra to get a job done. I worked over 40 jobs in 50 years, sometimes more than one at a time, I must have had lots of interviews. If you are not hired, ask for feedback about what you can do to improve your hireability. I got some good information about improving certain skills. I worked at developing my employability and eventually I found if I could get an interview, I could get hired.

It definitely takes practice. My advice is to apply for any and every job you can, whether you really want to work there or not.

It will help to get practice, and if they hire you, you can always respond with a "thank you, I have found something else" if you don't want to follow through. Best wishes, keep us posted on your progress!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson