Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 9:23 am

At least 13 shot or hurt in NYC by man wearing gas mask, construction vest

Quote:
At least 13 people were shot or otherwise hit by shrapnel on multiple subway stations along the northbound N train line in Brooklyn Tuesday morning.

Now, a manhunt is underway for a gunman described as wearing a gas mask and an orange construction vest.

At least four of the victims were found at the 36th Street subway station in Sunset Park and another at the 25th Street station in Greenwood Heights just before 8:30 a.m.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the shootings took place on the train or in the stations.

A possible smoke device was also used during the shootings.

The suspect was described as a Black male, 5-foot-5 and 175 to 180 pounds.

No arrests have been made, and schools in the area went into a lockdown as the search continues.

An FBI official says they are assisting NYPD and that it remains unclear at this point whether there is any connection to terrorism, but FBI headquarters is monitoring.

Mayor Eric Adams is monitoring the situation from City Hall but cannot respond due to his recent COVID diagnosis. Governor Kathy Hochul said she has also been briefed.

While this source says the incident occurred at multiple subway stations other sources have it limited to one station. Also conflicting reports about incendiary devices.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Apr 2022, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 11:35 am

According to the briefing guy got on the subway train donned a gas mask, threw a smoke bomb and started shooting. 16 injured, 10 gunshot wounds, 5 in critical but stable condition. Since the guy is still at large it is still considered an active shooter situation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 11:55 am

It is hard to imagine this guy got away given the intensity of the security systems employed there .

where ever you go ,there you are

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 1:43 pm

MSNBC is reporting the gun jammed and they have magazines.

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2022, 4:00 pm

That's horrific. I live in Brooklyn.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 4:26 pm

What we know so far (as of the time of this posting):

The Shooting: Ten people were shot at a Brooklyn subway station this morning.  At least 29 people were treated at nearby hospitals for injuries, none of which were life-threatening, according to hospital representatives.

The Suspect: The suspect, who remains at large, put on a gas mask, deployed a gas canister and then began shooting.

The Investigation: The attack is not being investigated as an act of terrorism but authorities have not ruled anything out.  Investigators have cell phone video from an eyewitness that shows the suspect, and are looking for a U-Haul van with Arizona plates allegedly connected to the shooting.

Read and Follow the Story
 HERE 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 4:58 pm

29 hurt in NYC subway shooting; Gun jam may have saved lives

Quote:
Detectives have made significant progress and believe they have a good idea for whom they are searching, though Mayor Eric Adams declined to elaborate further. He spoke with Eyewitness News on Tuesday evening:

Shell casings were recovered on the train and on the platform along with a handgun that had three extended round magazines. One in the gun jammed, which is believed to have saved lives.

Multiple smoke devices and a bag of commercial grade fireworks were also recovered, as well as a credit card authorities say was used to rent the U-Haul.

While the cameras in the station were inoperable, law enforcement officials were able to get an image of the suspect from a bystander's cell phone video.

Officials confirmed 10 of the victims, who range in age from 17 to 50, were shot, and five are listed in critical but stable condition. None of the injuries are considered life threatening.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm

Fortunately no lives lost

Anyone know the shooter's motives?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 9:45 pm

Person of interest in NYC subway shooting ranted for hours in YouTube videos about Mayor Adams, homelessness and race wars

Quote:
The person of interest in Tuesday’s mass subway shooting in Brooklyn has recorded dozens of hours of YouTube videos, ranting about Mayor Adams, homeless people in the subway system, gun violence, and how outreach workers are “homosexual predators.”

Frank James, 62, remains at large after Monday morning’s attack, which left 10 people shot and another 13 with various injuries.

n a more than hourlong rant posted on YouTube Sunday night, James raged about the war in Ukraine, and said it would become the precursor for a race war to wipe out Black people.

“They’re white, you’re not. They’re doing that to each other? What do they think they’re going to do to you?” he fumed. “It’s just a matter of time before these white motherf---ers say, ‘Hey listen, enough is enough, these n-----s gotta go.’ What’re you going to do? You gonna fight. And guess what? You gonna die.”

NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said the NYPD has stepped up security for the mayor as they search for James.

In a series of videos, James chronicled his trip from Wisconsin to Philadelphia about three weeks ago. And on March 27, he ranted about homeless people in New York City’s subway system, and mentioned staying in an Airbnb.

“Eric Adams, Eric Adams, what the f--k, what are you doing, brother? What’s happening with this homeless situation? I got on the E train, every f---ing car … every car I went to was loaded with homeless people.”

In another video from Feb. 20, titled, “how you gonna help me,” he sits in front of an array of photos of who he claims were the mental health outreach workers he dealt with while he was in crisis in the 1970s through the 1990s in New York.

“So as you listen to the mayor talking about how they want to bring in health workers, they want to help the homeless ... there’s no help. It’s going to fail! Because all these m-----f----ers are predators. They’re homosexual predators trying to turn everybody out,” he said.

Sewell stopped short of calling James the shooter, though she confirmed he rented a U-Haul van linked to the attack.

“We are looking for Frank James. We know he rented the van. The key to that U-Haul van was found at the crime scene,” she said. “We are looking to determine if he has any connection to the train. We know Mr. James rented that U-Haul truck in Philadelphia.”

“He was talking to himself, mumbling,” one high-ranking police source said.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2022, 10:14 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
n a more than hourlong rant posted on YouTube Sunday night, James raged about the war in Ukraine, and said it would become the precursor for a race war to wipe out Black people.

The guys a nutter but it's strange how he thought to link the war in Ukraine with a race war against blacks?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 6:08 am

Nutters always make nutty connections.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 6:40 am

Am beginning to think that this guy needs to be sectioned quickly or incarcerated soon. For everyone s safety

where ever you go ,there you are

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Apr 2022, 6:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The guys a nutter but it's strange how he thought to link the war in Ukraine with a race war against blacks?

To me, it sounds like general feeling of lack of security combined with interpreting things through American lens of race issues. The result looks like "if white folks do it to each other, what would they do to me?" fear.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 7:16 am

It's more than that----the guy is mentally ill. No excuses. No blaming "oppression" or whatever.

I don't want to hear "sociological" explanations. A white guy with a beef could have done the same thing. Could have blamed SOMETHING---found a scapegoat. Could have made some excuse like "racism against whites" or something.

The guy has no regard for human life. He needs to be arrested, punished, get mental health counseling, maybe allowed parole in 10 years. He's certainly lucky he killed no one.

Anybody can come up with some reason/excuse why (anybody) would perform an action such as this action.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 13 Apr 2022, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Apr 2022, 7:20 am

The guy is mentally ill.
That's absolutely right and center of it all.
Mentally ill people often interpret news on tv as being about them.

What are options for managing dangerous mentally ill people where you are?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 7:25 am

Usually, they are put in mental hospitals. Sometimes, they're put in what used to be called "institutions for the criminally insane." Now, they might be called "forensics units." But they have to find him "not guilty by reason of insanity" in order for this to happen. The person is put on medication, and receives various sorts of mental health counseling.

Otherwise, he'd be going to prison, and perhaps placed in a section of the prison where severely mentally ill prisoners are housed. The person would be medicated, and would receive various sorts of mental health counseling. At the very least, he would be put in an "administrative segregation unit," and housed separately from other prisoners because of the publicity which is part and parcel of his crime.

John Hinckley, the guy who shot President Ronald Reagan, was put in one of these facilities; his wasn't really a bad place at all. Some are pretty bad places. He stayed there are 30 years; eventually, he was slowly released into the community.