Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 9:01 am

In This Time of War, I Propose We Give Up God
Mr. Auslander was born and raised in the town of Monsey, N.Y. He is the author of “Foreskin’s Lament” and “Hope: A Tragedy.” His most recent novel is “Mother for Dinner.”

Quote:
This weekend, Jews around the world will celebrate the holiday of Passover, the name of which comes from the story of God passing over the homes of our distant ancestors on his way to slaughter the firstborn sons of evil Egyptians. Our forefathers, the story goes, marked their doorposts with lamb’s blood in order to spare their sons the awful fate of their enemies’.

In this time of war and violence, of oppression and suffering, I propose we pass over something else:

God.

Two aspects of the Passover story have troubled me since I was first taught them long ago in an Orthodox yeshiva in Monsey, N.Y. I was 8 years old, and as the holiday approached, our rabbi commanded us to open our chumashim, or Old Testaments, to the Book of Exodus. To get us in the holiday spirit, he told us gruesome tales of torture and persecution.

“The Egyptians,” he told us, “used the corpses of Jewish slaves in their buildings.”

“You mean they used slaves to build their buildings,” I asked, “and the slaves died from work?”

“No,” said the rabbi. “They put the Jewish bodies into the walls and used them as bricks.”

My father was something of a handyman at the time, and this seemed to me a serious violation of basic building codes, not to mention a surefire way to lose a home sale.
“Is this brick?” the interested couple asks.

“No, no,” says the real estate agent. “That’s corpse.”

But just as troubling — even more so today in light of the brutal slaughter taking place in Ukraine — were the plagues themselves.

God, the rabbi said, struck all the Egyptians with his wrath, not just the pharaoh and his soldiers. Egyptians young and old, innocent and guilty, suffered locusts and frogs, hail and darkness, beasts running wild and water becoming blood. Mothers nursing their babies, the rabbi explained, found their breast milk had turned to blood.

Yay!” my classmates cheered.

But the pharaoh, the story continues, still wouldn’t relinquish his slaves. Technically this was God’s fault, as he hardened the pharaoh’s heart, but the issue of free will wouldn’t begin troubling me until my teens. And so God, in his mercy, started killing babies.

“Every firstborn son in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn of the servant girl.” Exodus 11:5.

Surely, I wondered, there were some Egyptians who didn’t whip Jews, who didn’t have anything against Jews at all? Surely there were Egyptians horrified by slavery, Egyptians who disagreed with the pharaoh as often as we do with our own leaders?

“Everyone?” I asked the rabbi. “He struck everyone?”

“Everyone,” the rabbi said.

“Yay!” my classmates cheered.

God, it seems, paints with a wide brush. He paints with a roller. In Egypt, said our rabbi, he even killed firstborn cattle. He killed cows. If he were mortal, the God of Jews, Christians and Muslims would be dragged to The Hague. And yet we praise him. We emulate him. We implore our children to be like him.

Perhaps now, as missiles rain down and the dead are discovered in mass graves, is a good time to stop emulating this hateful God. Perhaps we can stop extolling his brutality. Perhaps now is a good time to teach our children to pass over God — to be as unlike him as possible.

“And so God killed them all,” the rabbis and priests and imams can preach to their classrooms. “That was wrong, children.”

“God threw Adam out of Eden for eating an apple,” they can caution their students. “That’s called being heavy-handed, children.”

Cursing all women for eternity because of Eve’s choices?

“That’s called collective punishment, children,” they can warn the young. “Don’t do that.”

“Boo!” the children will jeer.

I was raised strictly Orthodox. Old school. Shtetl fabulous. Every year, at the beginning of the Seder, we welcome in the hungry and poor Jews who can’t afford to have a Seder themselves. It’s a wonderfully human gesture. A few short hours of God later, at the end of the Seder, we open the front door and call out to him, “Pour out thy wrath upon the nations that did not know you!”

And God does. With plagues and floods, with fire and fury, on the young and old, the guilty and innocent.

And we humans, made in his image, do the same. With fixed-wing bombers and cluster bombs, with self-propelled mortars and thermobaric rocket launchers.

“Why did God kill the firstborn cattle?” my rabbi said. “Because the Egyptians believed they were gods.”

Killing gods is an idea I can get behind.

In my 64 years I have never seen anything remotely resembling this published in the American mainstream media.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 9:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[...] In my 64 years I have never seen anything remotely resembling this published in the American mainstream media.
Perhaps not all in one essay?  Perhaps not in these words?

There is a trend of people moving away from religion, but not necessarily of any concept of the Divine.

"Spiritual, but not religious" is their mantra.

Can you blame them?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:11 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
[...] In my 64 years I have never seen anything remotely resembling this published in the American mainstream media.
Perhaps not all in one essay?  Perhaps not in these words?

There is a trend of people moving away from religion, but not necessarily of any concept of the Divine.

"Spiritual, but not religious" is their mantra.

Can you blame them?

The stories I have read discuss younger generations moving away from organized religion.

The closest to this I can remember is the “Is God Dead” stories in the ‘60s. But that was reportage, not explicitly calling belief in God evil.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:18 am

Not many people I know consider the worship of God to be "evil."

The farthest they go is similar to where I go: There is no empirical evidence for a God-----so therefore I don't believe in God.

Most people I know believe in God in at least a superficial sense. They would probably feel troubled if they "lost their faith."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:47 am

If YHWH were real he'd be a villain, no question about it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
He would probably be arrested for sedition, tried on false charges, and executed to appease the Religious Right.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 10:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[Mr. Auslander was born and raised in the town of Monsey, N.Y.
Quote:
But the pharaoh, the story continues, still wouldn’t relinquish his slaves. Technically this was God’s fault, as he hardened the pharaoh’s heart,

It seems Mr. Auslander has insufficient understanding, https://www.myjewishlearning.com/articl ... ohs-heart/

Who Really Hardened Pharaoh’s Heart?
Was God responsible for the Egyptian leader's intransigence?
By Rabbi Danya Ruttenberg
"
A number of classical sources deal with this question, including the Rabbinic commentary Exodus Rabbah, which observes a critical detail: Exodus 9:12 is the first time that the Torah tells us that God hardened Pharaoh’s heart, but we see evidence of Pharaoh impacting his own heart five times earlier in this portion. Twice (Exodus 7:13 and Exodus 22) in response to Moses’ challenges and requests, the Torah tells us, his heart “hardened.” And three times after that (Exodus 8:11, Exodus 15 and Exodus 28), we’re told that Pharaoh “made his heart heavy.”

Five times Pharaoh turned away from Moses’ call and the suffering of the Israelites. Five times he made his own heart less and less supple and soft. As such, Rabbi Simon ben Lakish claims in Exodus Rabbah, a collection of Midrash compiled in the 10th or 11th century (scholars are unsure of the exact date), “Since God sent [the opportunity for repentance and doing the right thing] five times to him and he sent no notice, God then said, ‘You have stiffened your neck and hardened your heart on your own…. So it was that the heart of Pharaoh did not receive the words of God.’”

In other words, Pharaoh sealed his own fate, for himself and his relationship with God.

As the 18th-century Italian philosopher Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto wrote, “Our external actions have an effect on our inner feelings. We have more control over our actions than our emotions, and if we utilize what is in our power, we will eventually acquire what is not as much in our power.”

This is true in both directions. When we make the choice to turn away from suffering, when we engage in the action of walking away from others’ pain, we impact our inner life — our own heart is hardened, we become estranged from the divine and from our own holiest self. True, it’s scary to look that pain in the eyes, and then to grapple with the feelings of responsibility it might engender in us. But there’s a cost to that turning away.
"

:arrow: NOTE: In the chapter and verse numbering of Exodus in the Christian Bible, " (Exodus 7:13 and Exodus 22) and (Exodus 8:11, Exodus 15 and Exodus 28),
would be Exodus 7:13 and 22 & Exodus 8:11 and 15 and 28-32.

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 19 Apr 2022, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 11:06 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
He would probably be arrested for sedition, tried on false charges, and executed to appease the Religious Right.

I'd anticipate that'd be more likely to befall a man claiming to be his son.

YHWH seems like the sorta god they'd approve of.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 11:25 am

Continuing on about Mr. Auslander's insufficient understanding,

Quote:
“God threw Adam out of Eden for eating an apple,” they can caution their students.

Umm, no, He didn't.

Even National Public Radio publishers know that, https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... dden-fruit

'Paradise Lost': How The Apple Became The Forbidden Fruit
April 30, 2017
8:00 AM ET
Nina Martyris

"
Except, of course, that Genesis never names the apple but simply refers to "the fruit."
"

"
So how did the apple become the guilty fruit that brought death into this world and all our woe?

The short and unexpected answer is: a Latin pun.

In order to explain, we have to go all the way back to the fourth century A.D., when Pope Damasus ordered his leading scholar of scripture, Jerome, to translate the Hebrew Bible into Latin. Jerome's path-breaking, 15-year project, which resulted in the canonical Vulgate, used the Latin spoken by the common man. As it turned out, the Latin words for evil and apple are the same: malus.

In the Hebrew Bible, a generic term, peri, is used for the fruit hanging from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, explains Robert Appelbaum, who discusses the biblical provenance of the apple in his book Aguecheek's Beef, Belch's Hiccup, and Other Gastronomic Interjections.

"Peri could be absolutely any fruit," he says. "Rabbinic commentators variously characterized it as a fig, a pomegranate, a grape, an apricot, a citron, or even wheat.
"

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 19 Apr 2022, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 11:25 am

Hmm, There Are 'Gods' In Stories
That Folks Find in Books And Churches;

And There Is Nature Within And A REAL
Experience of Ascending And Transcending

(SPiRiTuALiTY;
Oneness, instead
of Separation So
Cold and Lonely Indeed)

The Mundane of

The 'Constructed
World of Human Tools'...

Words Are Buildings, No Different Really
Than Temples As They May House Essence

of A Deeper Experience of Life or A Life Spent

Following Concrete Side-Walks And Eventual

Really Bad Back Pain From Only Walking One Way;

In This Way, The Gods of Books And Other Buildings
Are Mostly A Pain in the Butt to me...

Yet Never the Less, Yes,

Interesting, Comprised
of Both Human Dreams
And Nightmares As Human
Imagination And Creativity Naturally Brings...

People Are Gonna Find Common Bonds and Binds
With Mutually Agreed Upon Ideologies and Symbols;

(Religion Is MOST DEFINITELY PART OF 'THE CONDITION')

If It's Not God; It'll Be Another 'Trump' or A YouTube

Channel Appealing to Dopamine And Adrenaline Generated

By Misery Loves Suffering of Overall Fear, And Hate; And Of Course,

Fictional

Conspiracy
Theories too;

Meanwhile, Others With
A More Glass OverFlowing Life

Will Thrive More Naked, Enough,
Whole, Complete As They Always Have As Well...

Sure, Inhaling Peace, Exhaling LoVE iN JoY oF LiGHT
Giving, Sharing, Caring, Healing With Least Harm for All...

Stories Change And Characters Remain; It's the Human

Condition, There is No Stopping IT As Long as We aRe Here...

Anyway, The Article in the 'New York Times', By Obviously A
Militant Atheist, Who Suggests We Should Kill Gods; Is Just Cannon
Fodder For Fox News And Such to Get Another 'Old Testament God' Elected President...

Understand the Human Condition, First, And Tread Softly in Mine Fields Like This; We Really

Don't Need

Any more

Justification

For the 'Religious
Right' in 'Affirmative Action', to Hire Another Demagogue
Human God in Highest Offices For Another Dictatorship of a Lesser God...

The Really Good News is Younger Generations Aren't So Fooled As They
Do Have And Do Use New Sources other than Fox News And Some Boring Church
That Insists They Are the Chosen Ones Out of All the Creatures in the UNiVeRSE

Hint:

They

ARE NOT;

EXCEPT IN THIER
OWN MINDS OF COURSE;

And True There is Some
Utility to Sugar Pills Like That too...

And That in Part, is Why 'The Old God' Is Here to Stay Another Few Decades Or So...
And Only Expanding in Third World Countries of Scarcity And Ignorance As Always...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 8:21 pm

There's a strong point in there. Who these days would condone killing babies to get at their parents? Yet some don't appear to see it as a problem in a deity, i.e. in an all-powerful being who was quite capable of targetting the real offenders with as much precision as he wanted to, if Biblical claims are to be believed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 3:16 am

God has always been weaponised in the service of manipulative men. religion should be regulated like guns.