Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 11:24 am

Got 133km worth yesterday evening. 8) Ripped over to Deep Cove (area of North Vancouver) then back through downtown and over to UBC to hit Wreck Beach for a beer at sunset and finished off hitting the highway home. Reasonably warm (it’s been unseasonably cold lately) but glad I had extra layers and winter gloves for the ride home after dark.

Only kinda close call was some Durango driver that was in a right turn lane then cut back into the through lane a split second before the intersection. It wasn’t super close, but I still laid on the horn. We both turned into the same gas station and I flared at her and she apologized. Maybe I should have said something.. but at least she got the message from my “F U,” look. It’s riding season and on nice days Hundreds if not Thousands of bikes are out.. on recent nice days there’s been a couple riders down per day, and on Friday night one rider died not far from my work. His passenger lived and the car they collided with stayed at the scene - not sure who’s fault it was/no further details.

Anyways, if you drive.. don’t squish motorcyclists. Give ‘em tons of room. Don’t drive directly beside them, either. Staggering lane positions gives the rider more options for escape routes And increased visibility by others.

Gas was 235.9/L for 94 octane. $17.02 for 133km/82.6miles. Still worth it. 8) Motorcycling is different in North America.. mostly aimless riding for pleasure, not for inexpensive transportation. Although it’s still nice to save money - like my insurance just got cut from $110/mo to $34.xx/mo once my collector plate was approved.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 12:53 pm

Sound like a nice day out.

One gal in our local creative writers group and her husband are big Harley fans and go riding frequently.
Husband works for the highway department so I expect he takes a motorcyclist perspective to their projects.

Guess you could say the insurance rate reduction financed the trip. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 2:17 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Sound like a nice day out.

One gal in our local creative writers group and her husband are big Harley fans and go riding frequently.
Husband works for the highway department so I expect he takes a motorcyclist perspective to their projects.

Guess you could say the insurance rate reduction financed the trip. :D

Definitely a nice day out! And getting ready to go spend a few hours riding before a family bday bbq today.

I bet he’s pickier about paving contractors doing smooth work and not making grooves or tar snakes right in line with where motorcycles travel.

I suppose the insurance reduction financed a bit of it.. but expenses don’t really stop with motorcycles. Some people tho k it’s a cheaper alternative to driving.. maybe for a very tiny bike just bigger than a scooter, but for a full size bike on up ? Always maintenance, gear etc. last year my transmission got a $3k rebuild - it’s mint now. Next up I’m buying a better helmet and a radio system, so there goes ~$1200.

As with anything fun.. gotta pay to play!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 5:36 pm

Vroom vroom! Been out for 50km so far tdy and spotted probably 15-20 other bikes so far. I bet if I stayed out all day I’d count 200+ like my brother and his wife did last weekend.

Off to my brother in laws bday bbq a few cities over, then maybe I’ll rip back into Vancouver just to go to the beach for sunset before I head home tonight. 8)

Wind therapy, whether on a bike or kiteboard, is highly recommend by ‘fish. Just depends whether you need wind in your face or at your back, I suppose.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 5:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Wind therapy, whether on a bike or kiteboard, is highly recommend by ‘fish.

:D My style of wind therapy is just the kite without the board.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 7:00 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Wind therapy, whether on a bike or kiteboard, is highly recommend by ‘fish.

:D My style of wind therapy is just the kite without the board.

Baby steps.. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 11:04 am

Stayed at the bday bbq longer than I thought I would so only rode for 97.3km yesterday. Did some shopping, collected some money, left a note at a friends that wasn’t home, attended my bro in-laws bday and then layered up for a night ride home that wasn’t so bad even though it’s been unseasonably cold lately. It’s gonna rain for the next week so was nice to get out yesterday!