What in the f**k is happening.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 1:11 am

Arrgghaaaa, I just want to go outside and freaking scream just a nice gutteral unpleasant sceam at everything going on. LIke what the f**k is this, it's certainly not what I expected 2022 and we're going backwards. LIke if one is so against abortion than ddon't f*****g get one, quit trying to decide for me what I should do if I get pregnant. LIke leave me alone about my uterus, sure I have the capability to give birth but I don't want to and that should be my right.

I learned about the civil rights movement and the feminist movement in school, ,what just so it could all be thrown in the trash by2021 when I guess tthose issuues never got solved with what is going on currently. LIke what was solved sems we still have all the race issues and now people trying to bring womens rights back to the 1950's.

LIke what the f**k is going on?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 1:20 am

I sense there is a disturbance in the universe, and you. 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 1:27 am

Pepe wrote:
I sense there is a disturbance in the universe, and you. 8)

yes quite a larrge disturbance and unfortunately I am not usually wrong on these things. I think I said back in 2008 when I was a high schooler that facism would pick up cause I could see it but no one believed me and now here it is on our doorstep.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 2:03 am

America, a failed state?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 2:04 am

munstead wrote:
America, a failed state?

Starting to think so.yaeh but idk how to deal with it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 3:43 am

What makes you think people are trying to roll back women's status to that of the 1950's?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 May 2022, 4:04 am

We have this problem here, too. In 2020, in the height of covid, our already restrictive abortion laws got even more restrictive, with a method bypassing all the regular debate and voting procedures, because the changes wouldn't get enough support even among our conservatives.
Now it's illegal to abort even the pregnancies that wouldn't survive birth.
So the network has been established to provide easy access to abortions in other EU states. So much about "saving unborn lives" buzzwords. Do lawmakers ever try to check their policies against reality?

Seeing how things are developing internationally - the group that forced this change in the law is also unwilling to cooperate with EU on sanctioning Russia. Coincidence? :chin:
BTW, in Russia, abortions are used almost instead of contraception. But the West in havoc is what would enable them to continue - not just pushing back women to 1950s. Pushing this part of the world back to early 1940s.

We're living in the first section of another chapter of future history books.
Sorry if that's not uplifting enough... but, well, history is ongoing quite intensely right now.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 5:20 am

For the US, my observation as an outsider is that that the political landscape is a male-dominated gerontocracy, in which Catholic and Catholic-like beliefs play a disproportionate role.

The male-dominated aspect means that political decision makers are less able to represent and understand the wishes and perspectives of the voting public, which presumably is c. 50-50 male-female. The solution is to get more females involved in politics. There are major barriers due to sexism and social media allowing vicious trolling but hopefully it will get better.

The gerontocracy is just bizarre. What the hell are Trump and now Biden even doing in a job. They're barely able to comprehend anything, they should be sat on a beach somewhere reading a large print book and keeping out of trouble. No-one should have any job with significant responsibility after 70, and probably after 60 to be honest. It would be unthinkable in the UK nowadays for the public to vote in anyone over 60, and for damn good reasons. America really needs to get over this obsession with the grey-hair factor. Older does not mean wiser/better.

Catholic and Catholic-like beliefs. Well, look at the make-up of the religious leaders in the Catholic church. Male-dominated gerontocracy. And the same has been the case since the early days of Christianity.

Move on, move forwards, get better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 7:25 am

It’s more like Protestant beliefs than Catholic beliefs. The “religious right” reflects Protestant, rather than Catholic, beliefs. Most of the nation is Protestant-dominant.

The religious Protestant and Catholic stand on abortion is pretty much the same.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 8:12 am

I did not realise that, interesting.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 5:03 pm

klanka wrote:
What makes you think people are trying to roll back women's status to that of the 1950's?

The current stuff about the supreme court trying to turn over roe vs wade. The thing that made abortion legal here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 5:17 pm

magz wrote:
We have this problem here, too. In 2020, in the height of covid, our already restrictive abortion laws got even more restrictive, with a method bypassing all the regular debate and voting procedures, because the changes wouldn't get enough support even among our conservatives.
Now it's illegal to abort even the pregnancies that wouldn't survive birth.
So the network has been established to provide easy access to abortions in other EU states. So much about "saving unborn lives" buzzwords. Do lawmakers ever try to check their policies against reality?

Seeing how things are developing internationally - the group that forced this change in the law is also unwilling to cooperate with EU on sanctioning Russia. Coincidence? :chin:
BTW, in Russia, abortions are used almost instead of contraception. But the West in havoc is what would enable them to continue - not just pushing back women to 1950s. Pushing this part of the world back to early 1940s.

We're living in the first section of another chapter of future history books.
Sorry if that's not uplifting enough... but, well, history is ongoing quite intensely right now.

Oh yeah I heard about that, I think first from the band Behemoth or rather Nergal from Behemoth cause he had an online rant about it.

https://loudwire.com/behemoth-nergal-slam-poland-abortion-ban/

You are right though, this is going to be an interesting part of history.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 5:33 am

I'm American but I live in Europe. I can honestly say that Polarization of society is not just an American issue. It's very much alive and well here in Europe. Every election is a battle between right and left. There is no middle anymore which is sad because too far left is just as bad as too far right.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 6:13 am

SpiralingCrow wrote:
I'm American but I live in Europe. I can honestly say that Polarization of society is not just an American issue. It's very much alive and well here in Europe. Every election is a battle between right and left. There is no middle anymore which is sad because too far left is just as bad as too far right.

Agreed. 8)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 7:40 am

munstead wrote:

Yes. The US is part of Protestant Anglo America. Not part of Catholic Latin America.

In fact there were virtually no United States Catholics until the Irish immigrants fleeing the potato famine flooded in in the 1840s. Later Italians, Poles, and still later Hispanics migrated in, but the large Catholic minority is still a minority. We were never a majority Catholic country. Always Protestant majority. For most of history "Papists" were even more hated than Jews in the US. JFK was the first Catholic POTUS, and it was almost as big a deal as Obama being the first Black POTUS a generation later.

But the militant Evangelical branch of American Protestants have similar views about abortion to those of the Catholics.

And American Protestant Evangelicals are much more militantly opposed to teaching Evolution than any of the last few Popes ever were.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
munstead wrote:

Yes. The US is part of Protestant Anglo America. Not part of Catholic Latin America.

In fact there were virtually no United States Catholics until the Irish immigrants fleeing the potato famine flooded in in the 1840s. Later Italians, Poles, and still later Hispanics migrated in, but the large Catholic minority is still a minority. We were never a majority Catholic country. Always Protestant majority. For most of history "Papists" were even more hated than Jews in the US. JFK was the first Catholic POTUS, and it was almost as big a deal as Obama being the first Black POTUS a generation later.

But the militant Evangelical branch of American Protestants have similar views about abortion to those of the Catholics.

And American Protestant Evangelicals are much more militantly opposed to teaching Evolution than any of the last few Popes ever were.

I would also add that though the Catholic church itself is quite conservative, most average Catholics are not. They don't share the same militant attitude as the evangelicals.