I don't think that this is a safe space for aspies

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 9:04 am

Quote:
I want to also point out that lots of times when I see angry posts complaining about other members on this site, it is related to the PPR section. I think there is a saying that goes something like "Politics & religion are the two things that should never be discussed with others". Lots of people feel very passionately about their beliefs & opinions & arguing with them about it will NOT change their minds. I know from personal experience that trying to argue with someone about why they are wrong & accusing them of things that may not be true, will cause the person to feel personally attacked & cause them to cling even harder to their beliefs & opinions. Sometimes it is best to agree to disagree & drop the discussion & move on. This is why I generally stay out of PPR.

It's a shame that PPR is so active. People seem addicted to talking about Trump and Biden and other American politics and it usually just ends up in a flame war. I think Americans just worship their president, and vice presidents, like they're gods or something.

Also you have to be really knowledgeable in what you're saying to post in PPR. I only go by what other people in my life talk about the current events, and usually it gets disagreed with whenever I post it here and I get frustrated because I can't always find the right words to explain what I mean. A simple person like me just cannot win against a bunch of know-it-alls.

A lot of people on the spectrum are difficult to talk to and they see things in a different way even to me. I go by the "treat others how I like to be treated" motto, but there are some Aspies that take that to the extreme and make you feel like you're a judgemental b***h for wanting to share an experience here with a person you met offline who you thought was a bit strange or scary or something. It's just idle gossip, get a hold of yourselves!
I don't just talk about myself, I care a lot about other people and I like to talk about them and their problems too, anonymously of course. I find other people so interesting and life would be pretty dull if I just stayed out of everybody's business. Some call me nosy, but I'm just curious and fascinated.

And yes, you do feel you have to use words like "some" before putting "people" otherwise people here think you mean everyone. "People" and "everyone" aren't always synonymous, so if I say "I hate people" it doesn't mean I hate every single person on this planet, because I don't. But a lot of Aspies don't understand that, so I've got to simplify it which does get frustrating. Also I hate it when I say something like "I don't like children" and someone takes it all personally and goes "so you don't like my children then??" No, I do not mean I don't like your children, I don't know your children, I have never met you or your children and I do not mean that against ALL children so just don't, OK?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 9:22 am

Quote:

Maybe that's looking at it from the wrong angle,
maybe aspies aren't safe for this space.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 8:04 pm

This site hasn't been a safe space for aspies for quite a few years, at least the Conservative aspies like me.

Online forums once provided a respite for the disenfranchised---only to do the complete opposite today.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 10:25 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Quote:

I think if you don't embrace the "right" politics, it isn't safe for those on the spectrum.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 5:56 am

Pepe wrote:
I think if you don't embrace the "right" politics, it isn't safe for those on the spectrum.
Very true. It's like Facebook, Twitter (at least until Elon Musk completes the buyout), and AWS: If you're conservative, the people in charge don't want you on their platform. That's why Signal, Gab, and Parler are growing the way they do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 6:10 am

You’re a smart guy. Who gave you the Kool Aid?

Why do you keep on believing this stuff?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 6:21 am

Aspie1 wrote:
This site hasn't been a safe space for aspies for quite a few years, at least the Conservative aspies like me.

Online forums once provided a respite for the disenfranchised---only to do the complete opposite today.

Having seen the reply by a moderator in a thread recently, where they labelled anyone who didn't agree with their opinion regarding a highly publicised a-political event of being members of the "far right", I can certainly understand that view.

The problem you mentioned seems to come from a few causes:
In the "politicised" areas of the forums, there are no "right wing"\"conservative" moderators, with the moderators who do pay any attention to those areas being "left" aligned (with one who may be towards the centre). As such, it is more likely that posts will be (conciously or unconsciously) interpreted (and possibly treated) differently depending on the "alignment" of the source\opinion being posted.

Similarly, for an international site, with a predominantly American audience, it is strange that the active moderators for the "politicised" area come from Europe (2 from the UK, 1 from Poland), meaning that there are no moderators with a cultural understanding of America (North and South), Africa, Europe, Asia\Australasia. This can result in cultural misunderstandings over communication styles, as well as depth of knowledge on subjects under discussion, give the range of subjects that frequently change in those areas, which they may not have direct knowledge of, nor time to get more than a very shallow understanding of.

Then there's the largest issue: Those areas of the site have a very active, vocal (close-knit?) "left-wing" membership, who tend to be somewhat hostile to information which does not align with their beliefs\opinions, and so a major deterrent to centrists of "conservatives"\"right wing" members.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You’re a smart guy. Who gave you the Kool Aid?

Why do you keep on believing this stuff?

So, you don't think progressives have an easier time on WP?
Huh.
"Interesting." 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:04 am

Brictoria wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:

Having seen the reply by a moderator in a thread recently, where they labelled anyone who didn't agree with their opinion regarding a highly publicised a-political event of being members of the "far right", I can certainly understand that view.

In the "politicised" areas of the forums, there are no "right wing"\"conservative" moderators, with the moderators who do pay any attention to those areas being "left" aligned (with one who may be towards the centre). As such, it is more likely that posts will be (conciously or unconsciously) interpreted (and possibly treated) differently depending on the "alignment" of the source\opinion being posted.

Then there's the largest issue: Those areas of the site have a very active, vocal (close-knit?) "left-wing" membership, who tend to be somewhat hostile to information which does not align with their beliefs\opinions, and so a major deterrent to centrists of "conservatives"\"right wing" members.

QFT. 8)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jun 2022, 7:16 am

I think you made some good points Brictoria. I did not know that about the mods. I think another factor in regards to the political bias is that autism is a disability & can have various comorbids that are disabilities. Here in America people with major disabilities are more likely to be liberal than the general population. Some conservative politicians who get lots of media attention here are hostel towards people needing help & assistance. Disabled people & poor people are sometimes made out to be scapegoats by some conservative politicians & conservative media personalities. As a result more than a few disabled people associate conservatives with being hateful towards them even if lots of conservatives here have no malice against them. Think of this as kinda like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder from something like being bullied & abused. Sometimes people who were majorly bullied & abused are overly on guard & on edge & misread others & situations as being hostel when that's not the case. Both sides can be very judgemental & even hateful towards the other sometimes partly cuz they're used to the other side being that way towards them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:30 am

^There isn't any excuse for poor behaviour simply because you aren't a progressive.
I'm a centrist, but I have been treated like trash, also.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:50 am

I'm not exactly coddled here because of my "moderate" views.

I'm sort of "taken to task" by "both sides."

I certainly wouldn't call myself a "progressive" in the "woke" sense.

As for the Kool Aid stuff, I was speaking about somebody who advocates a "Q" sort of philosophy. I don't think he's a bad guy----but I feel like he thinks in a "black and white" way, and has misguided views which are not based upon the evidence at hand.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 9:42 am

Pepe wrote:
^There isn't any excuse for poor behaviour simply because you aren't a progressive.
I'm a centrist, but I have been treated like trash, also.
Your right that it is not an excuse. That can be a factor sometimes but that does not make it right.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not exactly coddled here because of my "moderate" views.

I'm sort of "taken to task" by "both sides."

I certainly wouldn't call myself a "progressive" in the "woke" sense.

As for the Kool Aid stuff, I was speaking about somebody who advocates a "Q" sort of philosophy. I don't think he's a bad guy----but I feel like he thinks in a "black and white" way, and has misguided views which are not based upon the evidence at hand.
In general lots of people think in black & white & have an if your not with me your against me mindset that negatively affect both major political establishments. There's tons of hot topic issues & if you disagree with one side on just one of those issues, you can get accused of being a member of the other side even if you disagree with that side on most other issues.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2022, 1:05 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:

Similarly, for an international site, with a predominantly American audience, it is strange that the active moderators for the "politicised" area come from Europe (2 from the UK, 1 from Poland), meaning that there are no moderators with a cultural understanding of America (North and South), Africa, Europe, Asia\Australasia. This can result in cultural misunderstandings over communication styles, as well as depth of knowledge on subjects under discussion, give the range of subjects that frequently change in those areas, which they may not have direct knowledge of, nor time to get more than a very shallow understanding of.

I’m a centre-right moderator (there are even issues where I’m to the right of Mikah!) and I pay a fair amount of attention to the political forum. I don’t think any of our current mod team is particularly left-wing.

I must admit that I don’t really recognise this description. There is certainly no shortage of dedicated conservatives on this forum. I mean, even just in this thread we have a fair few complaining about there not being enough! I actually think that, with a few exceptions, the “dedicated conservatives” on this site tend to be tighter-knit than the centre-left folks. You and Pepe are peas in a pod, for example.

We do take a pretty firm stance on racism, sexism, and homophobia, but I don’t think those things are at all synonymous with the right. There’s plenty of bigotry on the left and I’m sure you’ll agree that there’s plenty of tolerant people on the right.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 1:35 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Quote:

How surprising it is that a group of people known for having a social disability & problems getting along with others would actually have problems getting along with each other sometimes :lol:

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 1:38 pm

It's not all doom and gloom on here there are actually a handful of very lovely people, I will agree they are often overshadowed by negativity and a lot of complaining but they are definitely there.

I've posted on this forum since I was much younger on various different accounts and the amount of arguments about meaningless s**t I've had on here is probably insane.

No forum or place on the internet is safe from guys making stupid insecure digs at women out of their own insecurity, you kind of just learn to only give a reply to the people who you think deserve one from you.

I remember recently I literally got called racist and there was this huge argument that I was some racist because a lot of the Americans here don't get Europeans or Brits at all - but nope, I was literally just saying what my husband said who is a Pakistani lol

Pepe deserves all the replies tho :heart: Most down to earth little s**t on here xoxoxo