Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 8:10 am

"Quiverfull" is a white supremacist cult wherein the goal is to have as many white children as possible and then send those kids out into the world like "arrows" (a "quiver" is a term that refers to a case archers use to hold their arrows) to spread the word of the Bible.  Quiverfull is described as an organization that would feel right at home in The Handmaids Tale, where women are seen as breeders to create more followers of the verse and indoctrinate others.

It is not just the "breeding" angle that draws attention, but the fact members of Quiverfull are careful to only produce white children due to fears the "white race" would one day disappear.  And if you look closely, they are almost all blue-eyed blonds.  One documentary subject describes them as looking like the "perfect Aryan clan".

Quiverfull members believe they are meant to raise a conservative Christian army.  The underlying basis of the group is to shun contraception as they believe God will only give them as many children as they can handle.

Read the Full Story
 HERE 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 12:18 pm

The sad part is - Darwinian evolution will either chose what can hold itself up against that, or it will chose that. Those are Scott Alexander's scavenging rats potentially breeding and eating the art-making rats out of survival.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2022, 1:30 pm

HERE  is another website revealing several truths behind the "Quiverfull" movement.  Some tenets of this movement include:

• Patriarchy: the belief that by God’s perfect design, it is the father who is the head of the home. In his leadership capacity, the father serves as protector, provider and shepherd for his wife and children.

• Courtship/Betrothal: Instead of dating, if a young man is interested in a particular girl, he will consult with his father who then approaches the father of the young lady to discuss the possibility of a potential match. If the girl’s father is in agreement, he will then talk to his daughter, and if she shows an interest, the courtship/betrothal (which is as binding as marriage) begins and this basically means that the couple is serious about getting married.

• Sheltering of Children: Children are to be protected and sheltered from “the world”; specifically, "Quiverfull" children should not be socialized by other children (fools). Isolation and control of outside influences is not only considered normal and good.

• Biblical Manhood & Womanhood: Men are to be leaders, teachers, initiators, protectors and providers. Women are to be submissive and yielding to their husbands, and their primary sphere of influence comes from their role as wives and mothers.

• Being Debt-Free: Adoption of this ideal often leads to financial hardship and deprivation in large families. In order to achieve financial independence, a QF/P family will often move to a rural location or live in sub-standard housing. Wives often operate businesses out of their home, often employing the children to help with the work, in order to supplement the husband’s income.

• Independence from Government Programs & Subsidies: Refusal of government assistance sometimes means that these families go without medical insurance -- a situation which can influence the parents to choose non-medicinal (e.g., "natural") remedies, and includes home birth and similar non-medical approaches to family health.

• Home Church: The father is primarily seen as the conveyor of spiritual guidance and teaching.

• Modesty: A girl or woman whose clothing is revealing is guilty of defrauding her Christian brothers, because she is tempting them with impure thoughts in relation to her body. There are no such restrictions on boys and men.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 May 2022, 4:16 pm

Well this is nuts, to put it simply.

Fortunately by its very nature it seems unlikely to gain in popularity.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 5:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Well this is nuts, to put it simply.

Fortunately by its very nature it seems unlikely to gain in popularity.

Might be good to make sure the 'deplorables' can find work and have enough to live for not to bother.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 4:32 am

Fnord wrote:
 HERE  is another website revealing several truths behind the "Quiverfull" movement.  Some tenets of this movement include:

• Patriarchy: the belief that by God’s perfect design, it is the father who is the head of the home. In his leadership capacity, the father serves as protector, provider and shepherd for his wife and children.

• Courtship/Betrothal: Instead of dating, if a young man is interested in a particular girl, he will consult with his father who then approaches the father of the young lady to discuss the possibility of a potential match. If the girl’s father is in agreement, he will then talk to his daughter, and if she shows an interest, the courtship/betrothal (which is as binding as marriage) begins and this basically means that the couple is serious about getting married.

• Sheltering of Children: Children are to be protected and sheltered from “the world”; specifically, "Quiverfull" children should not be socialized by other children (fools). Isolation and control of outside influences is not only considered normal and good.

• Biblical Manhood & Womanhood: Men are to be leaders, teachers, initiators, protectors and providers. Women are to be submissive and yielding to their husbands, and their primary sphere of influence comes from their role as wives and mothers.

• Being Debt-Free: Adoption of this ideal often leads to financial hardship and deprivation in large families. In order to achieve financial independence, a QF/P family will often move to a rural location or live in sub-standard housing. Wives often operate businesses out of their home, often employing the children to help with the work, in order to supplement the husband’s income.

• Independence from Government Programs & Subsidies: Refusal of government assistance sometimes means that these families go without medical insurance -- a situation which can influence the parents to choose non-medicinal (e.g., "natural") remedies, and includes home birth and similar non-medical approaches to family health.

• Home Church: The father is primarily seen as the conveyor of spiritual guidance and teaching.

• Modesty: A girl or woman whose clothing is revealing is guilty of defrauding her Christian brothers, because she is tempting them with impure thoughts in relation to her body. There are no such restrictions on boys and men.

So... This sounds basically the some as just regular Hinduism with a different mascot.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 1:36 pm

I believe the Duggar family from TLC's "19 Kids and Counting" are part of this movement.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 5:15 pm

An attempt to recreate 1950s, southern U.S., white suburban society.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 13 May 2022, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:29 pm

My general thoughts (whatever they are worth): I may have been born a JW and hated every fraction of a second of it while I was in, but at least I was never a part of the quiverfull movement.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 6:50 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
An attempt to recreate 1950s, southern U.S., white suburban society.

A little beyond that. Almost like adopting the Amish way of life, but keeping modern technology.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 4:02 pm

I'm more curious how they make sure they have enough uterus to work with?
What kind of womb owner would want to join this?

If this requires relying on "womb missionary". That is, "teach" their female children.
I would consider this downright evil.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 5:47 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
I'm more curious how they make sure they have enough uterus to work with?
What kind of womb owner would want to join this?

If this requires relying on "womb missionary". That is, "teach" their female children.
I would consider this downright evil.

It’s mostly childhood indoctrination but there’s also the occasional fringe person who is vulnerable for some reason.

Timeflyer
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2022, 6:12 pm

Jeez Louise, Fnord, thank you, I guess, for shedding some light on this rancid little movement. What is it with human male primates that they can come up with these supposedly god-endorsed schemes to put themselves in charge and control the women-folks' breeding apparatus? Racist and misogynistic--I wonder if they're instructed to burn witches, or stone those women who "defraud" the poor males by wearing revealing clothes? (Please don't) give me that old-time religion...

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 6:15 pm

I was sort of raised in this movement (alongside the Duggars), but I don't really recognize it in this description. I feel like this is just trying to paint certain beliefs in the worst light possible. It wasn't all white people. There was no goal about having as many children as possible, but yes, there was a belief that God would give the perfect family size and it would be denying that perfect plan to prevent conception. I haven't been in touch with that flavor of fundamentalism in over a decade and don't know how big it is these days; my last two friends who still believed that have died. There was no organized cult or group called "Quiverfull" that I knew of, just various families with similar beliefs. The families I knew, like the Duggars, were from the group I was in, IBLP. I never heard the term "Quiverfull" in that group or by anyone using it as a label for themselves.

The only way this makes sense to me is if there's some other radical "Quiverfull" group as described which I don't actually know about, and that's getting confused with the Duggars because they also have that one belief about no contraception.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 6:17 pm

Timeflyer wrote:
Jeez Louise, Fnord, thank you, I guess, for shedding some light on this rancid little movement. What is it with human male primates that they can come up with these supposedly god-endorsed schemes to put themselves in charge and control the women-folks' breeding apparatus? Racist and misogynistic--I wonder if they're instructed to burn witches, or stone those women who "defraud" the poor males by wearing revealing clothes? (Please don't) give me that old-time religion...

Yes, we need more cults made by and for those who identify as female. I’m just overflowing with ideas.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 6:21 pm

Carpeta wrote:
I was sort of raised in this movement (alongside the Duggars), but I don't really recognize it in this description. I feel like this is just trying to paint certain beliefs in the worst light possible. It wasn't all white people. There was no goal about having as many children as possible, but yes, there was a belief that God would give the perfect family size and it would be denying that perfect plan to prevent conception. I haven't been in touch with that flavor of fundamentalism in over a decade and don't know how big it is these days; my last two friends who still believed that have died. There was no organized cult or group called "Quiverfull" that I knew of, just various families with similar beliefs. The families I knew, like the Duggars, were from the group I was in, IBLP. I never heard the term "Quiverfull" in that group or by anyone using it as a label for themselves.

The only way this makes sense to me is if there's some other radical "Quiverfull" group as described which I don't actually know about, and that's getting confused with the Duggars because they also have that one belief about no contraception.

It’s an umbrella term for a religious movement with varying levels of beliefs and strictness (although they are all against birth control). Some groups let women wear pants; others make them wear prairie dresses. Fnord’s post is not an exaggeration although it might seem like such if one was raised in a more liberal subgroup.