Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 1:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The odd thing is: One could say one is "in Walmart," "in a bank, "in Target," "in the auntie's house."

But one cannot say "in work"----ever--at least in the United States.

It's just the subtle oddities of linguistics.

Target, bank, Walmart, are all physical places. Even the aunt's house (don't play the auntie game, son).

But work can be an intangible concept.

But you can be IN the workplace.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 3:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I guess "flew" in this sentence could be described as being an "intransitive that looks like a transitive."

Which means I'll have to concede :)

Sorry. Grammar is one of my favorite topics and I couldn't shut up.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 5:11 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Why do you add the word "At" to the sentence anyway? To us Brits it sounds weird! Like "Where's your head at?"

Personally, as a Brit, I don't find it weird. I have previously heard people phrase questions in this format in everyday conversation. Frankly if someone asked me that question I'd probably just point them in the direction of the library without thinking about it or apologise if I didn't know where the library is located.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 6:06 pm

Quote:
The odd thing is: One could say one is "in Walmart," "in a bank, "in Target," "in the auntie's house."

But one cannot say "in work"----ever--at least in the United States.

It's just the subtle oddities of linguistics.

In the UK we say "over", "round", "to", "down" and "up" when talking about visiting people, like "I'm going to John's", "I'm going over Jane's", "I'm going round Bill's", "I'm going up Jack's", "I'm going down Emma's" - even though I have no clue of geography and who's homes are down a hill or up a hill or further away from someone else's, etc. It just instinctively makes sense to say the right same adverb for the same person's house each time. :lol:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:14 am

Misslizard wrote:
My head hurts.

Where does it hurt at?

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 24 May 2022, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:15 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Where does it hurt at?

It hurts at in Uncle Ned.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 1:19 am

It's amazing even though this forum is very low traffic, I still always get ninja'd when making an edit. :ninja:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I guess "flew" in this sentence could be described as being an "intransitive that looks like a transitive."

Which means I'll have to concede :)

Yes.

In the sentence "Lindberg flew the Spirit of St. Louis to Paris". "Flew" is different from the flew in "the bird flew".

It would still be different even if it were "The bird flew to Paris".

In the sentence "the bird flew". The bird is in the act flying. Nothing is on the receiving end of the action. Even if you tacked on "to Paris" at the end there would still be no object of the sentence. The word "flew" would still be "intransitive".

In the Lindberg sentence the word "flew" is used to mean "to operate and or pilot a flying machine". So "the Spirit of St. Louis" would be the object of the transitive verb "fly".

In the Lindberg sentence the subject (lindberg) is operating/piloting a flying a machine. So the object is the flying machine (The Spirit of St. Lo). If either Lindberg, or a bird, "Flew across the Atlantic". Then flew become intransitive, and has no object.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:18 am

I don't know if they say this in the UK---but, in the West Indies, one could "correctly" say that they are going "by" a person house, using only the person's name, without alluding to the house.

"I'm going by John" means "I'm going to John's house."

Joe: They happen to say similar things in the South of the US.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:17 pm

“The library is where it’s at!”

An interesting expression which means that, in this person’s opinion, the library is awesome. It’s generally used to refer to places with a less intellectual purpose, like a restaurant, bar, or club.