Emilie Autumn: Violindustrial Goodness

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 3:47 pm

I know I've posted lots about her here but I have never actually created a thread specifically about her. Does anyone else here like the electric-violin-playing, Victorian-times-worshipping, gothic lolita faery?

I love her because she's so friggin' WEIRD... XD

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0giyVE0r-k4[/youtube]

...She's funny...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI21ZMB1LCo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EyTYzQOKL4[/youtube]

...Oh, and her music's good, too!

Misery Loves Company:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZHJI30Pi0[/youtube]

Organ Grinder:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1_KqdLlYQ[/youtube]

Gothic Lolita:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvNgXqbRLLE[/youtube]

More here.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 5:45 pm

its funny... a girl on a school/university site sent me some of these links to check out her music.

i dont think its so bad - not something i could hear all day long but there certainly is worse - especially considering that she belongs to this newer american wave of bands that just dont cut the goth cake for me old continental guy (say crüxshadows and the like... so bad music and so completely not what id consider gothy).

bc1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2007, 7:21 pm

wow, i dig it!

wasted_space
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2007, 2:50 pm

She can say about herself whatever she wants, but her music style isn't industrial or even near it... I say what I know, because I've been listening to industrial/noise/power electronics music for long. Though I like her created image of a Gothique Girl.

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2007, 3:47 pm

I like her more than her music. She's hooot *__* Music could be better, it's not so bad but it's not good either.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 8:43 pm

She somewhat reminds me of Rasputina, what with their sound (except that they have cello rather than violin) and use of pseudo-victorian imagery... you might want to check out their music if you like Emilie Autumn's stuff.
But, yeah, I somewhat disagree with Emilie Autumn being placed in the Industrial genre/scene. Sure she dresses all pseudo-gothy, but that doesn't qualify her as Industrial in the slightest. Industrial is supposed to use synths a lot and have a noticeably forceful sound... which Emilie doesn't.
Actually, I take some issue with a lot of bands referring to themselves as Industrial when they simply aren't. Like despite their claims to the contrary, I never saw The Birthday Massacre as being particularly Industrial, for instance...

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 11:29 am

industrial has become a label for almost anything that sounds either harsh (read: just not a "friendly" melody) or imitates a machinery sound. most people dont even know about the original industrial movement... and call most different bands industrial for whatever reason: skinny puppy, rammstein, nine inch nails, :wumpscut:, feindflug etcetera...

its a shame, actually.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 5:47 pm

gekitsu wrote:
industrial has become a label for almost anything that sounds either harsh (read: just not a "friendly" melody) or imitates a machinery sound. most people dont even know about the original industrial movement... and call most different bands industrial for whatever reason: skinny puppy, rammstein, nine inch nails, :wumpscut:, feindflug etcetera...

its a shame, actually.

I personally like a lot of the bands you mentioned, except for feindflug, which I've never heard of, and NiN (They're OK, but not something I could listen to for hours on end). One of the things that's really irritating is the Industrial label being applied to Synthpop/New Wave revival bands (although I suppose that's for solely commercial purposes, since most people would rather seem hip by listening to something the media calls Industrial rather than something that the media implies is trying to revive a Retro trend).
But, yeah, I personally listen to a lot of the "softer" subgenres of what's considered Industrial these days, including Darkwave and EBM, although I don't mind the occasional old school industrial (Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubaten, etc...).
I'm personally okay with the use of the term Industrial to describe Darkwave and EBM, but when you start referring to Nu-Metal or Mansonian Shock Rock acts industrial I'd say that's going a bit too far.
But applying the term Industrial to neo-folk, neo-victorian or neo-medieval acts (as some promoters and people in the music press try to do) is just beyond sense...

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:40 pm

yupa: if you like :wunpscut:, you could like feindflug as well. :)

as for industrial being applied to neofolk: i wouldnt say its completely beyond sense, as neofolk stems from industrial and its surrounding area to a large degree.
but of course you are right: neofolk and industrial are quite different enough to not confuse them.

as far as i see it, one could talk about classic industrial (neubauten, brighter death now, genocide organ,...), some kind of electro-industrial as a subgenre of electronic music with a machinesque and harsh sound (wumpscut and the like) and an almost genuinely american definition of industrial as a subgenre of rock music: nin, some manson, rob zombie (i mean... wtf?) and so on.
very confusing... and all because people seem to be unable to care for precise speech. :(

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:49 pm

Geez, she kinda scares me.

To tell the truth I have checked into her stuff before just on the way people around here have talked about it, I like her sense of innovation and the creativity that goes into it but the music itself isn't quite my cup of tea.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:11 pm

RP: Damnit, I think she's my third cousin twice removed. Met her at a family reunion. She's quater demon. (Mothers side)

OOC; Nice music, I'll pick it up

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 6:23 pm

I do agree that it's hard to call her industrial...that's why she's "violindustrial." XD In the end it doesn't matter what you call her, EA is just...EA.

I also agree that the visuals are a main draw...if EA was hideous and mean then her music would have less appeal. But she's weird, hot as hell and really funny, and that makes her music seem oddly better.

wasted_space
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2007, 7:35 am

gekitsu wrote:
yupa: if you like :wunpscut:, you could like feindflug as well. :)

as for industrial being applied to neofolk: i wouldnt say its completely beyond sense, as neofolk stems from industrial and its surrounding area to a large degree.
but of course you are right: neofolk and industrial are quite different enough to not confuse them.

as far as i see it, one could talk about classic industrial (neubauten, brighter death now, genocide organ,...), some kind of electro-industrial as a subgenre of electronic music with a machinesque and harsh sound (wumpscut and the like) and an almost genuinely american definition of industrial as a subgenre of rock music: nin, some manson, rob zombie (i mean... wtf?) and so on.
very confusing... and all because people seem to be unable to care for precise speech. :(

Have you heard of power electronics and noise? I may say, they came from industrial and added that powerful sound and chaos. Masonna, Merzbow, IRM and related. They're not EBM, because no one could dance to this music. Most of them don't have rhythm (except rhythmic noise). I think, power electronics is pure HATE, despise of mass media and consumer society.

As for me, I listen to all kinds of industrial music : martial industrial, dark ambient, neofolk, EBM, industrial rock/metal, futurepop, aggrotech...

You say that neofolk can't be called industrial. I'd like to expostulate. Neofolk belongs to industrial culture not by his sounds, but by thoughts and attittude. It doesn't need to be electronic. On wikipedia.org is a big article about industrial and his genres, I think it perfectly reflects the term of 'industrial'.

There are also some leading bands in industrial : Deutsch Nepal, COIL, Throbbing Gristle(they have produced a new album this year).

Everything that are launched in these times, are post-industrial. The styles dark ambient, martial and neofolk are fundamental in this culture.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 10:34 am

yeah, i know about p.e. and noise - i just happen to like the soundscapes (bad word) of industrial (or predominantly-industrial) music better. influences arent bad, but.. y'know. ;)

and you're spot on re neofolk belonging to industrial culture - its just not the musical style of industrial (if that were so, we didnt need two words)