Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 11:51 am

I seem to feel like I get quite irritated by people giving other people ''labels'' to define or describe who they are.
Some of them sound like they are ''segregating'' or ''out-casting'' people because they are not like the majority in a society and that the majority are not always willing to except them when they are trying to integrate in society. For example, calling someone an ''introvert'' while many others around them are ''extroverts'' or calling someone ''un-dateable'' as people with mental and physical disabilities looking for relationships were called in the UK tv show The Undateables.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 11:58 am

I 100% agree with you.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 May 2022, 4:50 pm

Your right, society is very focused on labels & the people who give others labels tend to do it to discriminate against em. We also sometimes we give ourselves labels as well to help explain ourselves & find others we relate to. Aspie & Autistic are labels & if we didn't have any labels, we would not have this wonderful site. While that is good, lots of people do not conform to a label 100%. Sometimes we try to conform to a label to better fit in with it. We also sometimes act like authorities on labels & tell others if they are part of it or not which is discrimination. Lots of us do not fit nice & neat into any one box & that should be OK.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 11:56 am

I don't like labels either, unless they're on cans. But some people won't tell their own kids they're autistic because they're afraid of their kid being labeled. So the kid ironically ends up with labels such as "weird", "creepy", "dumb", and other less printable names.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't like labels either, unless they're on cans. But some people won't tell their own kids they're autistic because they're afraid of their kid being labeled. So the kid ironically ends up with labels such as "weird", "creepy", "dumb", and other less printable names.
Unfortunately lots of members on this forum who had the Autism label when they were kids also had those other kinds of labels as well :( People are gonna get labels used on them no matter what so it's best to try & use labels to our own advantage like starting or joining support groups for those labels & trying to find others we can fit in or at least get along with.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 7:06 pm

labels could be used in a positive or negative way.

that doesn't mean all labels are bad.

"labels disable"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:59 pm

I have a nice label for humans right now, it's "trash apes". Much like raccoons are called "trash pandas" due to their similarity to red pandas and their reputation for being pests that get into trash, humans are trash apes do to being 99% similar to apes but being 110% the source of all that trash and everything else that's destroying the world. :x

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 11:54 pm

I hate labels with a passion. I think they're vapid.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 5:27 am

I don't like the derogatory labels wokes give non-wokes for not being woke.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 2:13 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have a nice label for humans right now, it's "trash apes". Much like raccoons are called "trash pandas" due to their similarity to red pandas and their reputation for being pests that get into trash, humans are trash apes do to being 99% similar to apes but being 110% the source of all that trash and everything else that's destroying the world. :x
I agree but I prefer to say/type hew-mon when I want to be insulting towards humans. Quark on Star Trek Deep Space 9 pronounced it that way when he was being insulting :nerdy:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 3:14 am

If you're a member of the human species, and live on planet Earth, you cant escape labels, nor can you avoid committing the sin of being a labeler yourself.

The best that you can hope for is being able to pick and choose among the labels ones that less bad than others.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:25 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I don't like the derogatory labels wokes give non-wokes for not being woke.

I don't like those labels either.