Can someone help me get a new avatar?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 5:19 pm

I used to be good at doing stuff like that myself but find it hard to concentrate these days.

All I did for my current one is find a picture on Pinterest and crop so much of it all that was left was a pink haired lady that looks kind of bitchy.

How do you get avatars for this site?

I'm too dumb for this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 6:46 pm

I like that avatar—except for the frown.

She’s a very pretty person.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2022, 7:52 pm

I could help you and I'd be glad to.
I don't know what you'd be looking for.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 4:14 am

Pick an image you like and PM it to Cornflake to insert as your new avatar.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 May 2022, 4:46 am

^ Yep, no problem - provided it can be edited to fit.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:00 pm

Okay thanks guys.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:43 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
I used to be good at doing stuff like that myself but find it hard to concentrate these days.

All I did for my current one is find a picture on Pinterest and crop so much of it all that was left was a pink haired lady that looks kind of bitchy.

How do you get avatars for this site?

I'm too dumb for this.

This site makes uploading images and avatars so bloody complicated that only geniuses can tackle it. Perhaps the founder of the site thinks we're all brilliant at such complicated computer tasks because we're autistic.

I had to get another member to help me upload my avatar too.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

Using a site like Imgur ("other services are available") makes it very easy to post an image to WP.

You set up a free account, to which you can upload images by browsing or by drag-n-drop - into your own private image area there.

Posting an image here is little more than clicking on it in your Imgur stash, then clicking a button next to it to copy the information required to post the image to WP.

In your WP post it's just a case of pasting into it to plant the ready-formatted image link, adding any required text, then clicking "Submit" as usual.

No images (apart from avatars) are stored here because of the storage space required for them, along with the accompanying increase of hosting costs (which Alex continues to pay at no charge to members).
But even if they were stored on WP, the process required to display them in a post would be very similar to that used for Imgur: there has to be some method of indicating where the image is located and as it's not possible (on any online service) to simply point at an image stored locally on your device, using a link to an image publically available elsewhere is the easiest solution.

Avatars are the only image type uploaded directly to WP - they're small and the storage doesn't amount to very much.
As there's an "Upload from your machine" button in a member profile to select an image, the biggest difficulty then is editing it so it fits the size required by WP: 130 pixels wide by 160 pixels high, with a file size not exceeding 3719.87 KiB.

I'm quite happy to help with this.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 8:49 am

Cornflake wrote:
Using a site like Imgur ("other services are available") makes it very easy to post an image to WP.

You set up a free account, to which you can upload images by browsing or by drag-n-drop - into your own private image area there.

Posting an image here is little more than clicking on it in your Imgur stash, then clicking a button next to it to copy the information required to post the image to WP.

In your WP post it's just a case of pasting into it to plant the ready-formatted image link, adding any required text, then clicking "Submit" as usual.

No images (apart from avatars) are stored here because of the storage space required for them, along with the accompanying increase of hosting costs (which Alex continues to pay at no charge to members).
But even if they were stored on WP, the process required to display them in a post would be very similar to that used for Imgur: there has to be some method of indicating where the image is located and as it's not possible (on any online service) to simply point at an image stored locally on your device, using a link to an image publically available elsewhere is the easiest solution.

Avatars are the only image type uploaded directly to WP - they're small and the storage doesn't amount to very much.
As there's an "Upload from your machine" button in a member profile to select an image, the biggest difficulty then is editing it so it fits the size required by WP: 130 pixels wide by 160 pixels high, with a file size not exceeding 3719.87 KiB.

I'm quite happy to help with this.

Alternatively websites exist that allow anyone to upload pictures stored on their devices to said website that will give a postable URL that WP can use for thread posts.

Avatars are completely different but editing them will always be annoying.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Jun 2022, 11:00 am

Yes indeed - that's exactly what Imgur does. :scratch:

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 11:05 am

Cornflake wrote:
Yes indeed - that's exactly what Imgur does. :scratch:

Oh............

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Jun 2022, 11:24 am

:thumright: >ding< *sound of penny dropping*

But yeah, there are other sites allowing an anonymous image upload for the purposes of using on a site like WP that are probably simpler and less of a rabbit-hole distraction than Imgur.
I thought one was Pastebin but that seems to be text only.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jun 2022, 5:07 pm

Cornflake wrote:
I've had a very difficult time meeting the size requirements the last few times I uploaded avatars & that was years ago. The size requirements here have not changed since then even thou the average size of an online image has increased quite a lot. I'm grateful Alex pays for this himself but I wish Alex would have a donation drive or sponsors or something to cover the costs of making major updates & improvements that this site desperately needs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition