Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 7:08 pm

In a fictional universe, Sci Fi fans love that you have different species of humanoid, alien or other beings in their fantasy realm. Whether it be movies, TV dramas, video games, D&D board games or 3D worlds.

You can have talking trees like in Lord of the Rings, wild hybrid beasts like in Hunger games, giants and half horse beings in Harry Potter or green elf like aliens acting as Jedi

Yet for some weird reason if in this fictional universe if a black person is cast then all hell breaks loose in the fandom?
And....it's happened again, this time in Star wars where actress Moses Ingram has been targeted by "uber" fans.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ses-ingram

As the next series of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings are going to include prominent black characters in lead roles I suspect this type of racist attack launched against the actors themselves will be repeated and I am wondering if the actors should be paid danger money for the psychiatric PTSD that will result?

Something seriously wrong with society

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 8:12 pm

????? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Star Wars has always been about diversity.

I think something fishy is going on. It's been found out that a huge number of Twitter users aren't real.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 9:47 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
????? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Star Wars has always been about diversity.

I think something fishy is going on. It's been found out that a huge number of Twitter users aren't real.

Nope this is real. SW fans are historically the worst at attacking cast members based on their race (John Boyega, Kelly Marie-Tran and Samuel L Jackson). This happened with Hunger Games when fans attacked the casting for two specific characters played by Lenny Kravitz and Amandla Stenberg (who was literally a small child at the time).

Yes it doesn't make any sense, the realms being portrayed are fictional. They aren't an extension of some of these basement dwellers all-white suburbs.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2022, 10:06 pm

I think it’s unfair to pin this on “science fiction fans”, both because it isn’t unique to science fiction and because it’s not close to the majority of science fiction fans.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 10:09 pm

Those people on Twitter are probably idiots who just like to be provocative.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 11:17 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think it’s unfair to pin this on “science fiction fans”, both because it isn’t unique to science fiction and because it’s not close to the majority of science fiction fans.

Yes it maybe a small minority who post this stuff but the online fandom aren't exactly correcting them. Star Wars theory and other prominent SW podcasters who have millions of followers muddy the waters by saying you should be allowed to rip apart the characters you don't like (and he hates Reva). But he hasn't learned from what the character who played Jar Jar Binks (Ahmed Best) said that when you criticise the character you are also criticising the actor who plays the character. Best attempted suicide after racist trolls went after him.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2022, 11:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Yes it maybe a small minority who post this stuff but the online fandom aren't exactly correcting them. Star Wars theory and other prominent SW podcasters who have millions of followers muddy the waters by saying you should be allowed to rip apart the characters you don't like (and he hates Reva). But he hasn't learned from what the character who played Jar Jar Binks (Ahmed Best) said that when you criticise the character you are also criticising the actor who plays the character. Best attempted suicide after racist trolls went after him.

From what I gathered at the time it was the African American community who complained about Jar Jar being a negative stereotype. They compared Jar Jar to Stepin Fetchit an actor who critics say personified negative black stereotypes in the 1920s and '30s.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 12:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Nope this is real. SW fans are historically the worst at attacking cast members based on their race (John Boyega, Kelly Marie-Tran and Samuel L Jackson). This happened with Hunger Games when fans attacked the casting for two specific characters played by Lenny Kravitz and Amandla Stenberg (who was literally a small child at the time).

Yes it doesn't make any sense, the realms being portrayed are fictional. They aren't an extension of some of these basement dwellers all-white suburbs.

I'm going to go with Ewan MacGregor saying they're not true Star Wars fans. If a SW fan is going to dislike black actors, the first character they're going to have to hate is Darth Vader. That iconic voice we all love and have imitated for decades comes from James Earl Jones (and all true SW fans know that). And I can't imagine a true SW fan not liking Mace Windu. His duel with Palatine was one of the best scenes in RotS. To me it just does not compute.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 12:32 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
From what I gathered at the time it was the African American community who complained about Jar Jar being a negative stereotype. They compared Jar Jar to Stepin Fetchit an actor who critics say personified negative black stereotypes in the 1920s and '30s.

The origin of the critics by racial background can't be demonstrated for blacks but its easy to pick up racism coming from non-black SW fans. They weren't the reason he contemplated suicide. He states in an interview that many of the groovy movements and character of Jar Jar was his own input. The criticism of the character (which was also impacted on him as well) is what sent him over the edge.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 12:45 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I'm going to go with Ewan MacGregor saying they're not true Star Wars fans. If a SW fan is going to dislike black actors, the first character they're going to have to hate is Darth Vader. That iconic voice we all love and have imitated for decades comes from James Earl Jones (and all true SW fans know that). And I can't imagine a true SW fan not liking Mace Windu. His duel with Palatine was one of the best scenes in RotS. To me it just does not compute.

Actually Lucas originally had Mace as a brother of Leia Organa (son of Bale Organa) so when he was introduced in canon in the Phantom Menace there was some negative initial reaction, but since Sam Jackson was already a big star in the 1990s his reputation carried him and he became popular.

A lot of the racists in the SW fandom are actually quite young and part of the anti-woke crowd who cried tears when Gina Carano was cancelled but didn't like it when a strong female (Rey) was the main character in the sequel trilogy. They seemed to conflate the casting of black actors in important roles (Boyega and Ingram) as some type of woke diversity hire which is rubbish since all of the actors in SW are brilliant (although I do have reservations about Carano, Donald Glover and Bill Burr).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 2:42 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

The origin of the critics by racial background can't be demonstrated for blacks but its easy to pick up racism coming from non-black SW fans. They weren't the reason he contemplated suicide. He states in an interview that many of the groovy movements and character of Jar Jar was his own input. The criticism of the character (which was also impacted on him as well) is what sent him over the edge.

Jar Jar was a terrible character. So were both Anakins.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 2:48 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree but a lot kids grew up on jar Jar and if you watch the clone wars there is a lot of character development for Jar jar that you miss in the prequels.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 10:20 am

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:03 pm

The actress who has been targeted by fans has posted a hilarious response to her detractors

Kudos to Moses Ingram

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:07 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I would agree.

The actor who played Anakin in Episodes 2 and 3 was so bad he’s hysterical.

The love scenes were the worst I've EVER scene. At least the bad acting took away from the awful writing and plot. Credit where credit is due.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 03 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree but a lot kids grew up on jar Jar and if you watch the clone wars there is a lot of character development for Jar jar that you miss in the prequels.

My son can’t stand him. He thinks he’s cringey.