Love on the Spectrum: US edition

Page 1 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

SportsGamer35728
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 6 Oct 2015
Posts: 377
Location: Vice City

08 Jun 2022, 3:29 pm

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the new version of Love on the Spectrum set in the United States that premiered on Netflix last month. My only complaint is that they didn't really have any ASD/NT couples on there. Hopefully they fix it if it's renewed for another season.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 1:23 pm

I saw a couple of episodes so far but it seems like maybe they only have a format and setting up autistic people with other autistic people only instead of mixing autistic with me or typical. This seems to cause a lack of options in comparison it seems less realistic than having more options. Unless I'm wrong and the show doesn't actually have that restrictive format?



DIProgan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 28

15 Jun 2022, 2:04 pm

Even more than earlier seasons it seems they're going for highly extroverted and rather low functioning individuals instead of actually showing the "spectrum" as the title might suggest. I liked the old guy the best.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 4:16 pm

When it comes to this show out of curiosity what is the darkest or most serious things that have happened on it?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,728

15 Jun 2022, 7:28 pm

SportsGamer35728 wrote:
My only complaint is that they didn't really have any ASD/NT couples on there. H


The Australian version has been running for 2 seasons (I think?). I stopped watching it after season 1 as it seemed to awkward and somehow I wasn't sure if some of the participants fully understood the implications of their private lives being laid bare for the entire world to see.

To answer your question, the people signing up to join this program are not able to date NTs. The one exception I remember was 19 year old Chloe who seemed completely normal and independent, had a job. She might have been self-conscious?



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 8:08 pm

That was my complaint about the show as well. It just seems to me that people on the spectrum dating NTs is much more realistic, because people on the spectrum do it all the time in real life, since they don't want to limit their options. I think it's rare to see a relationship where both are ASD, unless I am wrong?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,728

15 Jun 2022, 8:31 pm

ironpony wrote:
That was my complaint about the show as well. It just seems to me that people on the spectrum dating NTs is much more realistic, because people on the spectrum do it all the time in real life, since they don't want to limit their options. I think it's rare to see a relationship where both are ASD, unless I am wrong?


Put it this way. Showing a high functioning autistic person who is able to date NTs is kind of bland and nowhere near as interesting as an autistic person who has never had a date before.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
That was my complaint about the show as well. It just seems to me that people on the spectrum dating NTs is much more realistic, because people on the spectrum do it all the time in real life, since they don't want to limit their options. I think it's rare to see a relationship where both are ASD, unless I am wrong?


Put it this way. Showing a high functioning autistic person who is able to date NTs is kind of bland and nowhere near as interesting as an autistic person who has never had a date before.


That makes sense. Has their ever been relationships in real life, where there is a lower functioning ASD who has never had a date but then finally got a relationship, but with an NT, or is that more common, than two lower functioning ASD in a relationship?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,728

15 Jun 2022, 8:45 pm

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
That was my complaint about the show as well. It just seems to me that people on the spectrum dating NTs is much more realistic, because people on the spectrum do it all the time in real life, since they don't want to limit their options. I think it's rare to see a relationship where both are ASD, unless I am wrong?


Put it this way. Showing a high functioning autistic person who is able to date NTs is kind of bland and nowhere near as interesting as an autistic person who has never had a date before.


That makes sense. Has their ever been relationships in real life, where there is a lower functioning ASD who has never had a date but then finally got a relationship, but with an NT, or is that more common, than two lower functioning ASD in a relationship?


I've seen examples of every type of physical disability (wheel chair, quadraplegic, missing arms/limbs, burns, dwarfism etc) all find NTs partners. For people with neurological conditions with mild-moderate conditions also find love. But I honestly cant remember seeing any people who are ID find love with an NT. This might be another reason why low functioning folks on Love on the spectrum are matched up with other lower functioning folks.



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 8:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
That was my complaint about the show as well. It just seems to me that people on the spectrum dating NTs is much more realistic, because people on the spectrum do it all the time in real life, since they don't want to limit their options. I think it's rare to see a relationship where both are ASD, unless I am wrong?


Put it this way. Showing a high functioning autistic person who is able to date NTs is kind of bland and nowhere near as interesting as an autistic person who has never had a date before.


That makes sense. Has their ever been relationships in real life, where there is a lower functioning ASD who has never had a date but then finally got a relationship, but with an NT, or is that more common, than two lower functioning ASD in a relationship?


I've seen examples of every type of physical disability (wheel chair, quadraplegic, missing arms/limbs, burns, dwarfism etc) all find NTs partners. For people with neurological conditions with mild-moderate conditions also find love. But I honestly cant remember seeing any people who are ID find love with an NT. This might be another reason why low functioning folks on Love on the spectrum are matched up with other lower functioning folks.


That makes sense. But when people with ASD talk about dating, they will tell me how they would not want to date someone else with ASD because they feel it would be too challenging if both parties are. Do they often end up doing that though?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,728

15 Jun 2022, 9:06 pm

ironpony wrote:
But when people with ASD talk about dating, they will tell me how they would not want to date someone else with ASD because they feel it would be too challenging if both parties are. Do they often end up doing that though?


When a HFA person says they want to date another person "on the spectrum" they mean somebody who is also HFA - baggage



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 9:19 pm

Is that true though? I sometimes felt like I would like to date a person who is HFA and that didn't meant I wanted baggage, unless I'm wrong?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,728

15 Jun 2022, 10:22 pm

ironpony wrote:
Is that true though? I sometimes felt like I would like to date a person who is HFA and that didn't meant I wanted baggage, unless I'm wrong?


Think about it. Do you want some body else's baggage?



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 11:01 pm

No, but do people with autism come with more baggage than people who are NT?



ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 3 Nov 2015
Age: 37
Posts: 5,028
Location: canada

15 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm

No, but do people with autism come with more baggage than people who are NT?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,728

16 Jun 2022, 2:25 am

ironpony wrote:
No, but do people with autism come with more baggage than people who are NT?


They do but you would hope they don't right.