Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 5:31 pm

I've been thinking today (and in truth, for some time now) about the pattern of my moods, and how they seem to swing quite regularly from periods of crushing depression (sometimes accompanied by extremely bleak thoughts of rubbing my own existence out...) to bouts of superego where I can't help but label the people around me - especially at my wretched excuse for a job - as little more than insignificant troglodytes who aren't even worthy of my company. Neither state of mind sticks for very long, and I can manage to maintain a semblance of normality for at least a while, but they always return in some form or another, and it doesn't take much to tip me over the edge. The more I think about it, the more I feel like these are mild signs of manic depression.

Now, I think I'm going to talk to my doctor about this at some point, but... am I being a hypochondriac? Wouldn't surprise me if I was, but still...

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2007, 5:39 pm

I doubt your a hypocondriac.

As some one who has been severely depression I can tell you it came in ebs and waves, I think that the way AS minds work, and this is just a theory, we rationalize and analyse everything, so often during feeling depressed it kick in and for a while the mind is able to cut of the feelings.

Either way, I would go to the doctor, better to be a hypocondriac, that wait and end up going completely over the edge.

Even if your doctor says you are, look at your emotional situation logically, if you still think you are, dismiss what he says and seek help, either another doctor, or a helpline, a proffesional, etc.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 6:22 pm

If you're really feeling that awful, then definitely see someone about it. I think there are many disorders someone can be a hypochondriac about, but I don't think depression is usually one. Anyway, better to be on the safe side, especially if you are having thoughts of harming yourself.

etg1701
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2007, 7:05 pm

Hmm, I often feel just like that, MrSinister, and have wondered the same thing two.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 7:16 pm

It does sound very suspect for being Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depression). Look up the other symptoms on the internet and see if you fit the descriptions. If you do have a chemical imbalance (the cause for Bipolar) there are meds that can help you with the mood swings. Let us know what you find out.

bc1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2007, 12:28 am

i think bipolar refers to being extremely up or down for long periods of time. my dad is bipolar. relatives tell me of periods of several months where he was too depressed to do anything and just sat in his room. he has had only two manic periods in his life, during which he rarely ate or slept and felt extremely happy and motivated.

i'm have garden-variaty depression and i frequently have the "up" feeling you describe. i think it's normal, or just a depressed aspie thing.

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2007, 1:34 am

with bipolar disorder the moods can cycle rapidly sometimes- women & children are more likely to be rapid cyclers though.

I'm on meds for manic depression... apparently because of the aspergers I need a lower dose of the meds for it to be effective. Lithium didn't work, and I had to try many different meds before I found the right fit. (I'm on epival now).

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2007, 10:22 am

The symptoms you described are indeed symptoms of Manic Depression. I went through those exact feelings/experiences when my depression is at it's peak

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2007, 11:09 am

Holy cow, MrSinister, I could've written exactly what you wrote! Man, I have those same feelings of self debasement, and then the revulsion of the peons I work with in my own below-my-abilities job :? .

I am being treated for depression, taking Effexor at the moment, which seems to even me out a bit. I'm also seeing a therapist now who is going to help me possibly make some different life choices so I can find work more suited to my abilities and avoid the dim-wits!

I hope you can get some help and feel better. :)

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:21 pm

Roseduelist wrote:
The symptoms you described are indeed symptoms of Manic Depression. I went through those exact feelings/experiences when my depression is at it's peak