Bieber has Ramsey Hunt Syndrome partial facial paralysis

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:32 am

Justin Bieber Has Ramsay Hunt Syndrome: Rare Neurological Condition Explained

Quote:
Pop singer Justin Bieber announced in an Instagram post on Friday that he has Ramsay Hunt syndrome, a rare condition which is causing him partial facial paralysis. The 28-year-old also said he would cancel his upcoming tour dates as he is "physically, obviously not capable of doing them".
"As you can see, this eye is not blinking, I can't smile on this side of my face, this nostril will not move," Mr Bieber explained in the Instagram video.

He did not give an estimated timeline for his recovery.

Pop singer Justin Bieber announced in an Instagram post on Friday that he has Ramsay Hunt syndrome, a rare condition which is causing him partial facial paralysis. The 28-year-old also said he would cancel his upcoming tour dates as he is "physically, obviously not capable of doing them".
"As you can see, this eye is not blinking, I can't smile on this side of my face, this nostril will not move," Mr Bieber explained in the Instagram video.

He did not give an estimated timeline for his recovery.

What is Ramsay Hunt syndrome?
According to National Library of Medicine of the United States government, the Ramsay Hunt syndrome neurological condition caused by varicella-zoster virus that affects the nerves involved in facial movements. It is also known as herpes zoster oticus.

Varicella-zoster is the same virus that causes chickenpox in children and shingles in adults.

When the nerves are inflamed, they lose their ability to function properly, which can cause facial palsy or paralysis.

The illness can also result in painful, blistering rashes affecting the ear and the mouth.

What are the symptoms of Ramsay Hunt syndrome?
The signs and symptoms of Ramsey Hunt syndrome can include pain, vertigo, hearing loss, sensitivity to sound, tinnitus (a chronic ringing in the ears), and loss of taste, as per a Morbidity and Mortality Report published by Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention.

Additional symptoms include a change in taste sensation, dry eye, tearing, hyperacusis, nasal obstruction, and dysarthria.

The progression of disease
Ramsay Hunt syndrome is the second most common cause of facial palsy, as per National Library of Medicine. It said that early and correct treatment should be performed to avoid complications, such as permanent facial nerve dysfunction.

The disease progresses rapidly and fully manifests itself in two to three days. While initially the patient may complain of difficulty in closing eye and facial weakness, it can lead to permanent weakness and long-term complications if not treated quickly.

Studies have shown that people who received treatment within the first three days of the diagnosis, have recovered fully.

Treatment of Ramsay Hunt syndrome
The most common treatments for Ramsay Hunt syndrome are medications that treat the virus infection. There are some cases where patients have been given steroids too.

The patients are also asked to undergo physiotherapy so that the movement of affected part is not severely restricted.

Antihistamines can help with vertigo symptoms, such as dizziness or feeling like the room is spinning, according to Healthline. Eye drops or similar fluids can help keep your eye lubricated and prevent cornea damage, it added.

I had that in 2017. I had the painful rash and partial facial paralysis, teary eyes. It resolved within a few months sans medications and therapy but did leave me with 40 percent hearing loss in that ear, so I wear a hearing aid.

The condition is often confused with Bell’s Palsy and is sometimes called ear shingles. I did have Chickenpox as a kid. It happened two years after my stroke so that was the first thought that came to mind but unlike a stroke which affects one side of the body this affects a limited area. Ironically while my mild stroke did affect me arm and leg it left my face untouched.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Jun 2022, 9:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:35 am

Yeah. I just saw that on the browser news clickbait page.

Its extremely rare, but caused by the same common virus that causes chickenpox, and that causes shingles.

The virus for some reason decided to attack nerves in his head and messed up his face control muscles. Strange. But he will live.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:52 am

Quote:
Bieber Has Facial Paralysis

He's such a troll.

He's telling us he's getting head so good he can't stop grinning.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:55 am

Who is this “Bieber” of whom you speak, and why should I care?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 9:57 am

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:16 am

Fnord wrote:
Who is this “Bieber” of whom you speak, and why should I care?

Wikipedia
Quote:
Justin Drew Bieber (/biːbər/ BEE-bər; born March 1, 1994) is a Canadian singer. Bieber is widely recognised for his genre-melding musicianship and has played an influential role in modern-day popular music.He was discovered by American record executive Scooter Braun and signed with RBMG Records in 2008, gaining recognition with the release of his debut seven-track EP My World (2009) and soon establishing himself as a teen idol.

Bieber achieved commercial success with his teen pop-driven debut studio album, My World 2.0 (2010), which debuted atop the US Billboard 200, making him the youngest solo male act to top the chart in 47 years. The album spawned the internationally successful single "Baby", which became one of the highest certified singles of all time in the US, and elevated Bieber's global fandom, widely referred to as "Beliebers" — a portmanteau of Bieber and "believer".His second studio album, Under the Mistletoe (2011), became the first Christmas album by a male artist to debut at number one in the US. Bieber experimented with dance-pop in his third studio album, Believe (2012), and went on to become the first artist in history with five US number-one albums at age 18. Between 2013 and 2014, Bieber was involved in multiple controversies and legal issues, which had a drastic impact on his public image.

On January 1, 2022, Bieber broke the all-time record for the most monthly listeners in Spotify history, having achieved a peak of 94.68 million monthly listeners on the platform to-date.

Throughout his career, Bieber has sold an estimated 150 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling music artists of all time.

Bieber has enjoyed pop stardom for over a decade and has been referred to as the "Prince of Pop"[411] and the "King of Teen Pop" by contemporary journalists. Highlighting his longevity, he was awarded the MTV Award for Best New Artist in 2010 and the MTV Award for Artist of the Year in 2021. Rolling Stone India referred to him as the "biggest popstar of our age", "one of the most captivating artists of the century" and "one of the world's most successful artists of all time" Bieber is often cited as a pop icon, or simply an icon

In an article titled 'How Justin Bieber revolutionised careers in the music industry' by The Guardian, Tom Fazakerley says that:

“Social media has transformed the way people, brands and musicians communicate. The likes of MySpace and even more so YouTube, have enabled budding artists to put their music out to a massive audience at the click of a finger. This has taken down the barriers to the music industry and reshaped the career path for budding artists [...] Nowadays you can be your own artist, producer and promoter - and if you do this well, like Justin Bieber, you can really make it”

He had achieved a global fandom whom came to be known as "beliebers" and his popularity was labelled "Bieber Fever", with fan frenzies taking place in Liverpool, Barcelona and Paris,among other territories. Notably, it was revealed in 2020 that renowned singer Billie Eilish was nearly sent to therapy by her mother Maggie Baird due to her "obsession" with Bieber. Bieber's intense fandom was considered to be reminiscent of "Beatlemania"

Bieber maintained his global popularity during his transition to adulthood, achieving increased artistic recognition and credit in the process. In respect to Bieber's success as a teenager to a young adult, Variety said that Bieber is arguably the first mega pop star to come of age entirely in the social media era and also called him an "Internet icon“

In 2013, Bieber received a Diamond award from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for his single "Baby", which at the time became the highest-certified digital single of all time.Bieber is credited with three Diamond Certified singles from the RIAA for "Baby", "Sorry", and "Despacito". Bieber has won two Grammy Awards out of 22 nominations, one Latin Grammy Award, eight Juno Awards, two Brit Awards, 26 Billboard Music Awards,[450] and numerous fan voted accolades which include 18 American Music Awards, 23 Teen Choice Awards (the most wins for a male individual),eight iHeartRadio Music Awards, and six MTV Video Music Awards. He has also won a record 21 MTV Europe Music Awards (the most wins for any artist).All of Bieber's studio albums are certified Platinum or higher by the RIAA and have received numerous accolades. He is the youngest solo artist to have eight US number-one albums, a record held by Elvis Presley since 1965. Bieber is the first artist to have 10 songs surpass 1 billion streams each in Spotify history.

Following the release of his fourth studio album Purpose, Bieber set major milestones globally. He became the first artist, since Elvis Presley in 2005, to replace his own song as number one on the UK Singles Chart. He is the first artist in history to occupy the entire top three of the UK Singles Chart. He achieved this feat as "Love Yourself", "Sorry" and "What Do You Mean?" charted at positions 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. The singles also peaked at number one in the US, making Bieber the first male artist since Justin Timberlake in 2007 to have three number-ones from an album. He also became the first solo artist to chart three solo songs in the top five of the US Billboard Hot 100 simultaneously, and the first as a lead act since the Beatles in 1964. “Love Yourself" topped Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 Chart in 2016, followed by "Sorry" at number two, and made Bieber only the third artist in history to hold the top-two positions of the Billboard Year-End Hot 100, after the Beatles in 1964 and Usher in 2004. As of 2021, Bieber has set 33 Guinness World Records, which include eight that were achieved from the success of his album Purpose and was featured in the 2017 Edition. These records included the most streamed track on Spotify in one week, the most streamed album on Spotify in one week, the most simultaneous tracks on the US Billboard Hot 100, and the most simultaneous new entries on the US Billboard Hot 100 by a solo artist, among others.

Bieber has attained notable success on numerous Billboard charts both in the United States and globally. Eight singles by Bieber have topped the US Billboard Hot 100, his most recent being "Stay".He is the first artist in history to chart new number-one singles in consecutive weeks on the Hot 100.He is the youngest (21) male soloist to debut at number one in the US. He is also the youngest (25) male soloist to spend 200 cumulative weeks in the top 10 of the Hot 100. He is the first male soloist to simultaneously debut a song and an album at number one in the US.[204] He is also the first male soloist to spend 59 consecutive weeks in the top 10 of the Hot 100. Bieber is the first artist in history to reach number one on seven multi-metric Billboard charts: Hot 100, Hot Country Songs, Hot Dance/Electronic Songs, Hot Latin Songs, Hot R&B Songs, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, and Hot Rap Songs. His hit single "Despacito" has spent the most weeks at number one on Billboard's Hot Latin Songs Chart and is ranked as the greatest Latin song of all time by Billboard. He is the artist with the most number-one debuts , most number-one singles , and the most cumulative weeks at number one on the Billboard Canadian Hot 100 Chart. Bieber is the solo artist with the most cumulative weeks at number one on the Billboard Social 50 Chart. He was named the number one artist on Billboard's Decade-End Social 50 Chart for the 2010s. Bieber was named the "Greatest Pop Star of 2016" by Billboard. He was also Billboard's Year-End Top Male Artist for 2016 and placed number seven on the magazine's Decade-End Top Artists Chart for the 2010s.The magazine also ranked him 55th on the Greatest of All Time Artists and 38th on the Greatest of All Time Hot 100 Artists Charts respectively.

Bieber and his work have influenced various recording artists including Shawn Mendes, Why Don't We, Johnny Orlando, and Niall Horan. Singers Dua Lipa and Charlie Puth have stated that they were influenced by the discovery of Bieber on YouTube which inspired them to achieve the same.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 3:17 pm

THAT Justin Bieber? I thought he died a few years back . . . erotic asphyxiation, or something like that.

He’s just anyother has-been teen heart-throb — big, fat,hairy deal.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 5:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
THAT Justin Bieber? I thought he died a few years back . . . erotic asphyxiation, or something like that.

Has been?
An EP released last year charted at number 3.

In the last 2 years, he has had 6 singles in the top ten, and two singles that charted at number one.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2022, 1:35 am

No matter what you think of Bieber that is a cruel blow to him!

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 1:47 am

Fnord wrote:

Bieber is neither fat nor hairy.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 3:24 am

The upside is that having a celebrity go public with something like this might help normalize it, so people don't immediately discount as "weird" someone they see who is affected by it.

He's kind of moved from teen phenom to mainstream. I was surprised to find some of his stuff mixed into some of my standard radio channels. Not like I've ever listened to trendy pop.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 10:13 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
THAT Justin Bieber? I thought he died a few years back . . . erotic asphyxiation, or something like that.  He’s just anyother has-been teen heart-throb -- big, fat, hairy deal.
"BFHD" is sarcasm directed at all the fuss being made over yet another celebrity's personal problems.

Mr. Bieber was someone of whom I was only peripherally aware, and someone for whom I could not really care less.

Sorry, folks . . . back to the thread . . .

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 5:30 pm

I've made plenty of jokes at Bieber's expense in the past, but I can't help but sympathize. This sort of thing can be devastating for an entertainer such as himself. I hope he can find effective treatment.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:27 pm

My family and I have never been fans of Justin Bieber, but he'll get through this just fine.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 11:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
THAT Justin Bieber? I thought he died a few years back . . . erotic asphyxiation, or something like that.  He’s just anyother has-been teen heart-throb -- big, fat, hairy deal.
"BFHD" is sarcasm directed at all the fuss being made over yet another celebrity's personal problems.

Mr. Bieber was someone of whom I was only peripherally aware, and someone for whom I could not really care less.

Sorry, folks . . . back to the thread . . .

If you couldn't care less, why bother making several disruptive trollish posts to this thread? The only person making a fuss here is you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 6:40 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
If you couldn't care less, why bother making several disruptive trollish posts to this thread? The only person making a fuss here is you.
Not any more.

I posted because I was curious why a man I thought had committed suicide by erotic asphyxiation was announcing he had Ramsey Hunt Syndrome. Now I know.

No more fuss.