Saw someone other than s/family or a dr etc-?at the end

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 5:21 am

Yesterday was the first day for over a year that I saw someone who 's neither stepfamily or someone like a doctor,council official etc. He's a parish councillor I follow on Twitter. I had tweeted about a constantly dripping washbasin tap, and he'd kindly offered to help. He couldn't fix it but was able to shut off the tap instead.

I discussed politics with him as we're both members of the Labour party. I didn't feel anxious or socially anxious . Indeed I felt quite confident . I wonder how many other autistic people are like that where the social anxiety etc takes a backseat when talking about a special interest/topic of interest.

Is that true for some of you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 5:41 am

Indeed, it’s pretty true for me.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 6:01 am

yes, it is always much easier to communicate over a common interest.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 6:48 am

I have no social anxiety.
And topics of choice is a non-issue to me.

I'd decline, ignore or choose to let the whole thing dwindle if I really am not in a mood to chat.
It's not out of the "unintentional" awkwardness from cluelessness or anxiety.

Sure I got plenty of scenarios to go around talking with strangers;

I had talked to a stranger about religion -- a topic I have no interest over -- with bits of philosophy and our respective beliefs.

I like it.
Parted in good terms right after.
Though I didn't even bother to ask his name or something. :lol:

And it was very random.

If I were really honest...
I'd likely be more anxious about interacting with the people I care too much to care about their reactions over than any stranger's.

It's a double edged thing -- anxious as in the usual catastrophize 'I don't wanna mess this up' or anxious as in excitement and challenge.

I'd be truly anxious if one who rather have me speak for others -- which I really, really hate to do because I'm not them, I'm not reliable enough to deliver, and I hate "representing" anyone.
I myself am not afraid of any social blunders because I'm paying for it willingly... And obviously I hate the idea that someone else would pay for my mistakes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 8:28 am

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of talking to people I'm not familiar with regardless of the context. Not anxiety, just discomfort, mistrust and I have nothing to say. Likely a combination of causes there, but mostly autism as I was like this before the other stuff. So, I kinda don't, at all. Asocial loner over here. I barely talk to my neighbors that have known me for 20 something years and who probably know more about me than I realize. It's just comfortable silence for me, likely awkward silence for them. I'll answer questions briefly. Things involving services, sure, as that's not social.

Aside: it's usually your washer or washers if one or both taps are causing a leak. If it's the spout, it's often the thread seal "tape" wearing away, so new thread seal just needs to be wrapped around the thread (it's white tape). This is with the usual two taps and a spout. I haven't fixed one of those fancy long necked thingies where the tap and spout are a single mechanism. It's always good to have thread caps on hand too if one doesn't have the supplies, as you can just cap it or them off.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 8:55 am

If it’s a topic am familiar, / knowledgeable about , it can be easy for me to talk to that person .. If they do not seem to have a attitude about others contributing information.

where ever you go ,there you are

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 9:57 am

firemonkey wrote:
I wonder how many other autistic people are like that where the social anxiety etc takes a backseat when talking about a special interest/topic of interest.

Is that true for some of you?

Add me to that count. :D

When I was at work in hobby shop, bookstore, pet store, volunteering at the school library, & on open house days at model train club, the social anxiety evaporated in to the aether.
I liked that.
And when I was done I'd go home and shut out the world for the evening.
Time to recharge after "people-ing" for multiple hours.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 2:57 pm

I find that all of the following help:
 - Talking about a common interest
 - Talking while involved in a useful activity
 - Talking with no more than a few people at a time (one counts!)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 5:11 pm

Yes can relate to the one person at a time preference …… In a big way . Processing too many people at once can be very difficult / impossible . !

where ever you go ,there you are

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2022, 5:44 pm

I talked about my pet snakes to the dental receptionist the other day. It was great because she asked loads of questions :D

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell