Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 11:33 pm

Hey, I was trying to edit a wikki page and whenever I tried to edit it, instead of my post coming out in paragraph form, it came out as one long continuous line. I had to side scroll to read the message I had added. It's hard as hell to even ask for help on there because there are no mods to write to. Can someone tell me how to edit it?
note-- I suck with computers, and I am highly computer illiterate. All I know how to do online is search, post on forums, talk on IM's, and check my e-mail.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 11:35 pm

Save yourself some time and don't bother trying... someone else will only remove your changes within 48 hours.

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2007, 7:22 am

When a whole paragraph comes out as one single, several-feet-long line, it's because you have put a space (or "blank") in front of the line, as the very first character in the paragraph: This is useful for computer code and other things that need to be printed "verbatim", right down to where the lines break etc.

If you wanted to indent some text (i.e. have the left margin of a particular paragraph "moved" a half inch or so to the right relative to where "normal" paragraphs begin), put a colon ( : ) as the very first character in the paragraph.

For more help and tips to get you started with editing, see Wikipedia's help section.

And finally, let me qualify violentcloud's statement by saying: Edits and changes will only be undone if they don't contribute anything useful to the article. If Snake321's addition was "on-topic" and had encyclopedic relevance, someone will soon correct any formatting mistake (such as a yard-long, unbroken line), but leave the constructive contribution in there...

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 3:13 pm

violentcloud wrote:
Save yourself some time and don't bother trying... someone else will only remove your changes within 48 hours.

Yeah, and they never respond to your queries, right? I've tried for yonks to point out Aaron Rosanoff's contribution to "autism", but got nowhere!

On the other hand, wikia has an (empty, at present) opening for Humm and Wadsworth's Temperament Gradient (published 1935, a population study of Rosanoff's Theory of Personality) so maybe it's not entirely bad?