Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:58 am

Only Joe90 can't respond to a relevant issue in the moderator's attention thread so now I have to start a whole new thread.

Please read properly as I'm not going to repeat myself.

1. I only answered a question in the moderator's thread to an issue that the other moderators were baffled by and thought it would solve the confusion, which I didn't think was against the rules.

2. I looked back at recent posts in that thread and saw other posts by other members that were totally irrelevant and those posts didn't get deleted.

I know where I'm not wanted.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 5:37 am

I don't know the situation but it's terrible when things like this happen. I got accused of being abusive on a site once because I posted some photos with Instagram filters which changed the people's hair. Erm...?

Oh and another time I was told off for posting two posts one after the other, as I was answering two people's questions. Ridiculous attitude.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jun 2022, 5:44 am

Mod attention thread is particularily strictly moderated.
Maybe something slipped through the net in its long history but posts are being removed from there regularily. It's nothing personal, it's just preventing that thread from becoming a place of discussion.

Here we can freely talk about it:
I don't know either why a thread lost its original first post. Some database glitch probably. Mod tools are not sufficient to investigate it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:04 am

I know what happened with that thread, the OP suddenly changed their mind and decided to delete their OP just at the precise moment the second post submitted and it somehow went through. That's what happened.

I didn't think it was breaching the rules by answering something even the mods were baffled by. I was just settling a question someone asked. I know I'm not a mod but if I know an answer that others don't in a thread then I'm not breaking the rules by replying.

I'd understand if my post was irrelevant or starting up a discussion. But it wasn't. It sometimes feels personal when I see others breaching the rules and their posts don't get deleted.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:40 am

Honestly, I don’t feel you are “not wanted” here on WP.

I’ve had posts deleted, too.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jun 2022, 6:49 am

Joe90 wrote:
I know what happened with that thread, the OP suddenly changed their mind and decided to delete their OP just at the precise moment the second post submitted and it somehow went through. That's what happened.
Logs don't show deleting a post or thread at the time of the response.
I don't know what happened.
You see? It's inviting a brainstorm. Here we can have it.

Joe90 wrote:
I didn't think it was breaching the rules by answering something even the mods were baffled by. I was just settling a question someone asked. I know I'm not a mod but if I know an answer that others don't in a thread then I'm not breaking the rules by replying.
And no one finds you a rule violator for it. Mod Attention thread is special and posts made for any other reason than getting mod attention or informing how the problem has been dealt with are removed from it.
Anyone can forget of it, so the removals are not followed by any further actions.

Joe90 wrote:
I'd understand if my post was irrelevant or starting up a discussion. But it wasn't. It sometimes feels personal when I see others breaching the rules and their posts don't get deleted.
Report every time you see others breaching the rules, ok? We're really not everywhere, we don't see everything.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jun 2022, 6:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
Only Joe90 can't respond to a relevant issue in the moderator's attention thread so now I have to start a whole new thread. (...) I know where I'm not wanted.
For goodness' sake, Joe... :heart:

The notice about not posting to the mod. attention thread to comment or chat and so on has been there since at least 2010 and probably much earlier.

That thread belongs to moderators; it's the only thread we're obliged to act upon, the only thread where an alert means someone needs assistance - so we expect alerts to mean just that.
It's irritating to drop whatever we're doing to attend to an alert - that turns out to be nothing of the sort.

Members have tens of thousands of topics available for free commentary (currently 381,864) and we ask that ordinary comments are not posted to this single thread.
Feel free to PM us if you have something to say about content there.

Commentary or chatter from members on that thread is generally removed as and when - there is no pecking order, no favoritism where some chat is left and others are not.
We also don't go through it with a magnifying glass and remove every. single. instance. so some may be left for no other reason than a moderator hasn't bothered to remove it.

At 41 pages it's time the thread was archived anyway - and in the process removing all the comments you're worried about.

Since the thread you referenced had its opening post removed for reasons unknown, and as was noted that rendered the thread pointless - I removed it, as I've done before where for whatever reason an opening post is removed (usually by the OP editing it to say "removed") making the thread pointless.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:01 am

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:04 am

^

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jun 2022, 7:08 am

Um yeah - "hah hah hah", I guess. :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 8:00 am

Mikah wrote:

I prefer this one, it's pretty funny. :lol:

OK, thanks for explaining it to me and admitting that it's happened to you (others in this thread) as well as me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:03 am

Not fair that we can't use this section to talk about the site, like what annoys us or what we like about the site, etc. Also about the rule where we can't use this section to gossip, I actually find out the most of what's going on when visiting this section! I call it the gossip section! :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jun 2022, 11:17 am

The description of this forum says:

Quote:
Have a question about the site? Found a bug? Have any suggestions? Post your issues, questions, and ideas in this forum.
It's really not difficult. :wink:

There is no "rule" about gossiping in the mod. attention thread, as has already been mentioned.
We simply request that moderators are not called to WP as a result of someone posting "Me too!" or anything else that doesn't require a moderator's immediate attention. Note that a comment on an earlier post to that thread is not something that requires a moderator's attention.

Otherwise feel free to PM us about anything else, at any time. In most cases a post or a thread is not required.