Page 12 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 60  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:22 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I have a more moderate opinion on the situation. I never said someone should be forced to raise a child they don’t want, just that they can put it up for adoption rather than abort. I also said that I was worried that states won’t make exceptions to their bans(rape, incest, a woman’s life in danger). I’m not right wing and I explained that to them, but they were still having none of it.

A problem here is that rape is very often not reported, so what would these women do?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:26 pm

Many kids are put into foster care. They don’t get adopted right away.

There are some foster-care parents who are good—but some are not.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:33 pm

those people who voted to ban abortions are no better than the Taliban.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many kids are put into foster care. They don’t get adopted right away.

There are some foster-care parents who are good—but some are not.

Some kids wind up in awful places like Christian boarding schools where they are abused.
https://www.ksdk.com/amp/article/news/l ... 0e833a863f

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm

Yep…..that, too……

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:38 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I can certainly relate to this. When I thought that I might be pregnant, I was planning on keeping it. At different points of my life, I could’ve went with a different option. I don’t know.

No matter what choice is made, it is still empowering for women in these situations to know that they have a choice when they didn’t have one when they were victimized.

Denying them this right is going to cause secondary wounding for sure.

I'm glad you replied again.
After I wrote my blurb I realised I hadn't commented on your own situation.
#ImAnIdiot --- sorry for that. :oops:

It's such a difficult decision no matter the circumstance.
Some people really trivialise the effect of pregnancy / possible-pregnancy on our mental health.
Now babies have become political so it's even worse.

Women can experience profound trauma around conception, even when they try to conceive but can't or don't.
I wish more people understood how difficult it is for all mothers to do what they think is right.
Quite often, it's what they KNOW is right.

That never makes it easy.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:42 pm

At the very minimum, I would hope that abortion wouldn't be one's first option. I don't think I could live with that guilt if y'all know what I'm saying. Again, that's aside from rape, incest and health problems.

On another note, I think that the response in the discord was distorted by the fact that I'm a guy(someone did in fact play the "you don't have a uterus" card on me). Would they have brought their damn pitchforks out if I was a woman? Just wanted to put that out there.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I'm glad you replied again.
After I wrote my blurb I realised I hadn't commented on your own situation.
#ImAnIdiot --- sorry for that. :oops

I wasn’t offended at all! I’ve just been busy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:53 pm

Protests underway in cities from Washington to Los Angeles in wake of Supreme Court abortion decision

Quote:
After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade on Friday, holding that there is no longer a federal constitutional right to an abortion, protesters and supporters of the ruling gathered at the high court's building in Washington, DC, and in other cities nationwide.

Similar demonstrations are planned in at least 70 locations across the country on Friday and the weekend, according to CNN's research. Organizations like Planned Parenthood, Bans Off Our Bodies and Women's March are among the groups organizing the events.

In the nation's capital on Friday, one person led protesters in front of the Supreme Court in a chant of "Hands off! Hands off!" and a call-and-response of "My body! My choice!"
One woman told CNN affiliate WJLA the decision was an outrage.

In New York's Greenwich Village, thousands of people were marching and chanting in the streets in a peaceful demonstration. One of the chants directed the f-word at Justice Brett Kavanaugh. There were some anti-abortion activists at the march, but they were keeping a low profile and there were no confrontations seen by the CNN crew walking with the protesters.

Demonstrators in Los Angeles clogged the 110 freeway as it passed through downtown, blocking traffic. While abortion will remain legal in California, the protesters said they were showing their concern and support for women in other states.
In Atlanta, several hundred people in two different demonstrations merged and gathered in front of the Capitol. Almost all the people were protesting the decision. A CNN crew saw one counterprotester where one group began its march a few miles away.

"It's illegitimate. Abortion bans are illegitimate," the woman said. "Forced motherhood is illegitimate."

In Texas, a large crowd gathered in front of a federal courthouse in downtown Austin. People took to a microphone to tell stories, many of fear and frustration. Some carried signs, including one that said "Pro-life is a lie, they don't care if we die."
In Washington, DC, an abortion rights activist climbed to the top of the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge, which was subsequently shut down. Guido Reichstadter posted videos and photos of himself on social media from the top of the bridge, where he unfurled a large green banner. Green is recognized as a symbol of abortion rights.
Reichstadter also planted a flag on the bridge that read "Don't tread on my uterus."

Truck runs over woman's foot during Roe v. Wade protest
Quote:
Witnesses at a rally in Cedar Rapids Friday say a truck ran over a woman's foot during a peaceful pro-choice protest.

Iowa author Lyz Lenz posted a photo of the incident on Twitter Friday evening, and said everyone seems to be OK.

Lenz claims two women were crossing the street, using a crosswalk, outside the U.S. District Court Federal Court House in Cedar Rapids, and one of them got her foot runover.

She also said it was "terrifying."

Iowa's News Now has a crew on scene and spoke with the woman who was injured Friday evening.

“I was over here, I turned around the light was red, and the truck got impatient for whatever reason and charged into the crowd," said Alexis Russell who was hit by the truck. "There’s at least three people, I look over I see people trying to push the truck back, and I just instantly got mad and ran over and tried to stop the truck. I tried to stop him, he grabbed (and) ripped my sign, and push me down drove off and that was it.”

Cedar Rapids Police say one person went to the hospital following the incident. Police say a preliminary investigation shows protesters were crossing the street with the proper signal. That signal then changed, but the group was still crossing the street using the crosswalk.

Police say a verbal confrontation began between the protestors and a driver before 'contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians.'

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 24 Jun 2022, 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:53 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
At the very minimum, I would hope that abortion wouldn't be one's first option.

That reads a bit judgmental. We don’t know what a person’s circumstances are, and ultimately, a woman should be allowed to decide what she does with her body whether or not there are extenuating circumstances.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:55 pm

Being of the libertarian mindset (I'm surprised more people with autism aren't, to be honest), I figure females can make their own choice in these things, with consideration of any partner if there's a relationship there. They can live with their choice, whether it affects them or not.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I had gotten kicked off a discord just for saying one little thing against abortion. :( :( :(

I have a more moderate opinion on the situation. I never said someone should be forced to raise a child they don’t want, just that they can put it up for adoption rather than abort. I also said that I was worried that states won’t make exceptions to their bans(rape, incest, a woman’s life in danger). I’m not right wing and I explained that to them, but they were still having none of it.

I’ve seen a lot of pro-choice memes today and in the past and I understand a lot of them. But at the same time I just don’t think it’s morally proper to choose abortion over adoptions except for the reasons I said earlier. They also made it sound like the adoption agency is terrible. That could just be their experience, Idk.

They metaphorically took turns beating up on me then put a gun to my face and pulled the trigger(kicking me off the discord).

You're allowed your opinion and I'm sorry they attacked you.

In a perfect world yes, of course adoption over abortion.
Unfortunately it's not a perfect world.

Some girls and young women will face violence for becoming pregnant.
It shows that they had sex, which in itself is treated as a sin.
They are shamed and beaten by their families or partners.
This is true even if they were assaulted, or if it involved incest.
Even when it's consensual sex, girls / women can face violence or be thrown out of their homes.

The physical and emotional toll is overwhelming.
Carrying a child and being forced to surrender ownership of your body is traumatic.
Everyone knows because they see your belly.
There's no hiding it or keeping secrets.

Then there's the issue of mental health.
Most PTSD is triggered by feelings of guilt and shame.
Many young women are shamed on social media, or treated like sluts, if they get pregnant.

Women who are older or married are shamed because they should have "kept" the child.
They had no excuse.

None of this begins to explain the physical experience of carrying a baby.
Hormonal changes bond most mothers to the baby so that it's impossible to give it up.
Many mothers change their mind last minute and keep the child.
That might sound great, but it doesn't mean it's what the mother intended.
It still sacrifices their mental and physical health to keep these babies without proper support.

Being "forced" to become a parent is a form of emotional abuse that quite frankly, most men don't face.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:30 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Being of the libertarian mindset (I'm surprised more people with autism aren't, to be honest), I figure females can make their own choice in these things, with consideration of any partner if there's a relationship there. They can live with their choice, whether it affects them or not.

I'm not sure any partner has any actual entitlement to be involved in the decision unless the women pursing the procedure elects to include them in the decision.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:32 pm

Re: the Iowa incident that ASPartOfMe posted

I'm surprised any GOP governor--even the two Stepford wives, Kristi Noem and Kim Reynolds--allowed protests to occur. I was certain they would ask the National Guard to drop napalm on any dissidents.

The only reason CHAZ/CHOP in Seattle was allowed to exist was because Jay Inslee is a Democrat. A GOP governor would never allow it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:34 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Would they have brought their damn pitchforks out if I was a woman? Just wanted to put that out there.

Yes. Some would, unfortunately.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 11:40 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
At the very minimum, I would hope that abortion wouldn't be one's first option. I don't think I could live with that guilt if y'all know what I'm saying. Again, that's aside from rape, incest and health problems.

On another note, I think that the response in the discord was distorted by the fact that I'm a guy(someone did in fact play the "you don't have a uterus" card on me). Would they have brought their damn pitchforks out if I was a woman? Just wanted to put that out there.

Sounds like you engaged in trolling and were removed on that basis. :?

Hey, everyone's pissed off about this issue, let's be a contrarian and start lots of arguments about how they just need to be more moderate about their rights.

Wait, why am I facing consequences for my actions?! :cry:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う